UChicago c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
KMart

Gold

Re: UChicago c/o 2019

Post by KMart » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:39 pm

segamebgeh wrote:I called MAC on Friday to ask about law student rates for Regents, and they said that wasn't a promotion they were offering. Does anyone know if they only offer is 1/2/3 months before classes, or if it's just not something they do anymore?
I've never heard of this but they do give $70 in Lyft credits to get home from the Law School.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChinaCat

New

Post by ChinaCat » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Does anyone know if University of Chicago stops considering people for need-based aid once they are awarded a certain amount of merit aid?

Also, do Chicago's need and merit aid always come together, or can they be awarded separately at different times?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:51 am

I don't think they have student rates anymore. They did have somewhat lower prices available for Regents in person than are listed on the website, although I can't say if that's still the case. They also gave me a discount on my second month's rent (I think $300 off or something) after I negotiated for a while. They're a big company so the individual rental agents' price flexibility is limited, but I would suggest saying "that's too expensive" and then leaving, and then waiting a few days and saying "that's too expensive" again and asking if they can help you out. Worked pretty well for me. However, this was for Regents, and they have a lot of inventory in Regents so I didn't worry about losing an apartment by playing hardball. (They might give away a certain unit but there will almost certainly be a functionally identical unit available.)

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:52 am

I don't feel comfortable talking about their financial aid policies--I'm not sure how they determine aid awards. I'd suggest asking Kevin Petty any questions you might have about your individual aid (after looking at the website, of course!) :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

darthslughorn

New

Post by darthslughorn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:45 pm

Checking in, and just made plans to go to ASW. Chicago is looking like top choice for me right now, praying I get into the Doctoroff program!

yschaf

New

Post by yschaf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Anyone else hear back about Doctoroff today? Looking forward to meeting everyone at ASW!

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:24 am

yschaf wrote:Anyone else hear back about Doctoroff today? Looking forward to meeting everyone at ASW!
You heard from Doctoroff?! Been waiting, but my heart was beating so much at the end of the interview that I completely missed whether my interviewer said first week of March or April...

Also checking in! Shocking scholly offer means there's a very good chance I'll end up here. Can't make the ASW, but headed to the April Fools DITL.

yschaf

New

Post by yschaf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:13 am

Necho2 wrote:
yschaf wrote:Anyone else hear back about Doctoroff today? Looking forward to meeting everyone at ASW!
You heard from Doctoroff?! Been waiting, but my heart was beating so much at the end of the interview that I completely missed whether my interviewer said first week of March or April...

Also checking in! Shocking scholly offer means there's a very good chance I'll end up here. Can't make the ASW, but headed to the April Fools DITL.
Yep! E-mail yesterday afternoon, I had interviewed back in early Feb. They said there will be a "fun evening out with the Doctoroff cohort on Thursday, April 14th at 6:30pm, so mark your calendar!" Sounded pretty cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jotx

New

Post by jotx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:44 am

ChinaCat wrote:Does anyone know if University of Chicago stops considering people for need-based aid once they are awarded a certain amount of merit aid?

Also, do Chicago's need and merit aid always come together, or can they be awarded separately at different times?
I spoke to Petty about this and he made it seem that the scholarship is "mostly merit" so if you got a lot from merit it doesn't seem like you would get a lot more from need...

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:34 pm

jotx wrote:
ChinaCat wrote:Does anyone know if University of Chicago stops considering people for need-based aid once they are awarded a certain amount of merit aid?

I spoke to Petty about this and he made it seem that the scholarship is "mostly merit" so if you got a lot from merit it doesn't seem like you would get a lot more from need...
Wait, does this mean need-based aid info may still be coming? I got the impression that the scholarship was all that would be offered. Also, given my LSAT score, I assumed what they offered me was probably need-based rather than merit-based, though the email never actually stated this..

jotx

New

Post by jotx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:36 pm

skimmilk wrote:
jotx wrote:

Wait, does this mean need-based aid info may still be coming? I got the impression that the scholarship was all that would be offered. Also, given my LSAT score, I assumed what they offered me was probably need-based rather than merit-based, though the email never actually stated this..
no... just ask him hes nice. he told me its mostly merit and it already includes need but only he will know so you should just ask him

discoinfiltrator

New

Post by discoinfiltrator » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:17 pm

Last edited by discoinfiltrator on Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:51 pm

discoinfiltrator wrote:Checking in! Admitted 3/2. I have a Need Access question before the deadline: I'm 100% certain that my parents' income makes me unqualified for any need-based aid. I've read in a couple of places that I should just fill it out anyway, and I'm working on it now, but it seems pointless. Am I missing something, and is there any use in filling it out? I'm mostly worried about what it looks like to the admissions office if I do or don't fill it out. If I don't, does it look like I'm being unserious about trying to get aid? (FWIW my parents aren't paying.) If I do fill it out, does it make me look oblivious? Am I overthinking this? :shock:
You are overthinking it. What's the harm in filling it out? The school will not go "oh wow, looks how rich this kid is, let's not give him any merit aid even though he would otherwise have some awarded." If you do not want to spend the time to do it, then do not.

discoinfiltrator

New

Post by discoinfiltrator » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:24 pm

spauldingno wrote:
discoinfiltrator wrote:Checking in! Admitted 3/2. I have a Need Access question before the deadline: I'm 100% certain that my parents' income makes me unqualified for any need-based aid. I've read in a couple of places that I should just fill it out anyway, and I'm working on it now, but it seems pointless. Am I missing something, and is there any use in filling it out? I'm mostly worried about what it looks like to the admissions office if I do or don't fill it out. If I don't, does it look like I'm being unserious about trying to get aid? (FWIW my parents aren't paying.) If I do fill it out, does it make me look oblivious? Am I overthinking this? :shock:
You are overthinking it. What's the harm in filling it out? The school will not go "oh wow, looks how rich this kid is, let's not give him any merit aid even though he would otherwise have some awarded." If you do not want to spend the time to do it, then do not.
Thanks for your input!

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Late check-in! I somehow missed this thread being created, but Chicago is definitely up there on my list. Got to visit for the Day in the Life program in February and was impressed by the openness and intelligence of everyone I met.

annaliesman

New

Post by annaliesman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:59 pm

checking in! anyone else from the west coast and a little terrified of the chicago weather? :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:10 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:48 am

annaliesman wrote:checking in! anyone else from the west coast and a little terrified of the chicago weather? :shock:
Not from the West Coast, but I am from the South and accustomed to sunshine and 80+ weather. The consensus I have gotten from my professors and those from Chicago has been that if I go to Chicago the only way I will stay sane is if I look at it as a temporary situation to which I can escape from in 3 years.. Still isn't all that reassuring though :shock:

sophiethecat

New

Post by sophiethecat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:35 pm

If it makes any of y'all from sunnier places feel any better, this winter has been GREAT! Almost no snow, and very few cold snaps. Obviously, it will probably be horrible for one of more of the years we are at Chicago, but this was my first winter in Chicago and I was pleasantly surprised.

InfinitelyStressed

New

Post by InfinitelyStressed » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Any input on living in Regents vs. Shoreland? I'm also considering some buildings in the South Loop - is the driving commute doable, or am I better off near campus?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:02 pm

I think commuting sucks, and in the winter, I wouldn't want to bother. It's nice to be able to be home in 15 minutes via a free, painless bus ride. And nothing beats leaving for class 15 minutes before it starts. The commute is definitely doable, the question is whether you want to do it, and you probably don't.

Regents is older, a little cheaper, has some nice conveniences in the building (a little restaurant, a little corner store, a pool and hot tub). The bus ride to and from the law school is shorter. The bus from Regents to the Law School can be as short as 10 minutes when the traffic is light, and it comes every 3-4 minutes, which is amazing. You just walk out the door and there's a bus. The location is across the street from a great little cafe, and it's a quick walk to a lot of the little restaurants at Harper Court. The building is homely, but the apartments themselves are pretty nice.

Shoreland has in-unit washers and dryers (which I'd kill for) and newer appliances. It is more expensive than Regents, but not that much more expensive. The finishes are a lot newer, and everything has a much fresher coat of paint. (You'll see what I mean if you visit them both.) The exterior and lobby architecture at the Shoreland is drop-dead gorgeous. It really is a beautiful building. It's a little more out of the way than Regents, but it's also situated in a really gorgeous location, right by the lake.

They both have incredible views and lots of natural light. Both buildings are managed by MAC, which, LOL. Not the worst landlords I've ever had, and maintenance has never been an issue, but during the move-in process I had to really be on their ass about various things. Lots of bureaucracy.

Personally, I'm happy at Regents, but Shoreland is a good choice too. If you're not interested in the amenities at Regents but want to be in the location (which I like better than the location of the Shoreland), look at the Algonquin. It's right across the street from Regents and significantly cheaper.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:09 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:38 pm

Hmm... I just realized I never got my admissions package in the mail. Accepted 2/4. Is this normal?

annaliesman

New

Post by annaliesman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:11 am

lemondrop wrote:Hmm... I just realized I never got my admissions package in the mail. Accepted 2/4. Is this normal?
I was accepted in the beginning of March and just got mine, so about 2 weeks later

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”