UChicago c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
lemonparty

Silver

Re: UChicago c/o 2019

Post by lemonparty » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Checking in! Anyone else going to the April 14/15 ASW? :D

killingmesoftly

New

Post by killingmesoftly » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:45 pm

checking in! really good chance I might end up coming here.

also, I want to book a flight soon for asw before prices go up, but I also want to possibly stay with a student overnight (because I have no money). Does anyone know which nights you can stay with students? Can you just stay Thursday and Friday night, or could you stay Saturday too if you wanted to fly back Sunday?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:26 am

skimmilk wrote:Anyone want to offer some insight into UChicago's housing? Their apartments seem pretty nice and affordable, but do students normally seek out living elsewhere?
Most 1Ls live in Hyde Park (mostly regents/shoreland). More people live in regents and all the pre games are there. That being said shoreland is - a bit - closer, nicer, and has in-unit washer and dryer. There's a couple other buildings but those are the main two.

After 1L a sect of people will move into the South Loop, but I'm not sure proportionally how large. The class expands after 1L in terms of where you live. The city is yours. As much Hyde park is quaint, Chicago is amazing and Hyde park is just one neighborhood.

If you come during ASW I think you stay with a student (someone might need to correct me if I'm wrong) and I'd bet if that's the case you're in regents or shoreland.

Flipper001

New

Post by Flipper001 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:58 am

KMart wrote:tag ; feel free to PM + quote for questions.
Hello KMart, just curious what your experience has been with the social environment at U Chicago. Is it particularly cutthroat? I guess the stereotype is that people are rather bookish?

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:19 am

KMart wrote:
skimmilk wrote:Anyone want to offer some insight into UChicago's housing? Their apartments seem pretty nice and affordable, but do students normally seek out living elsewhere?
Most 1Ls live in Hyde Park (mostly regents/shoreland). More people live in regents and all the pre games are there. That being said shoreland is - a bit - closer, nicer, and has in-unit washer and dryer. There's a couple other buildings but those are the main two.

After 1L a sect of people will move into the South Loop, but I'm not sure proportionally how large. The class expands after 1L in terms of where you live. The city is yours. As much Hyde park is quaint, Chicago is amazing and Hyde park is just one neighborhood.

If you come during ASW I think you stay with a student (someone might need to correct me if I'm wrong) and I'd bet if that's the case you're in regents or shoreland.
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:09 am

Flipper001 wrote:
Hello KMart, just curious what your experience has been with the social environment at U Chicago. Is it particularly cutthroat? I guess the stereotype is that people are rather bookish?
Hope you don't mind if I answer this! (1L)

I like the social environment a lot. The class is very diverse in terms of interests, personalities, backgrounds, etc. People are pretty friendly and sociable. I wouldn't say it's cutthroat at all.

Bookish, I don't know. People are hard workers who are used to doing well in school. 1L is a lot of reading and studying. There's a lot of background noise--people do go to the library to work, which is not something that really happened in my undergrad (very outdoorsy school)! But they are not notably nerdy or bookish in a sort of "can only talk about school" way.

And like I said above, it's a very diverse class, and you have the people who go to clubs, people who do intermurals, people who do the musical, people who play instruments in performance groups, people who go to every bar review, people who do a ton of club activities...

Flipper001

New

Post by Flipper001 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:36 pm

landshoes wrote:
Flipper001 wrote:

I like the social environment a lot. The class is very diverse in terms of interests, personalities, backgrounds, etc. People are pretty friendly and sociable. I wouldn't say it's cutthroat at all.

Bookish, I don't know. People are hard workers who are used to doing well in school. 1L is a lot of reading and studying. There's a lot of background noise--people do go to the library to work, which is not something that really happened in my undergrad (very outdoorsy school)! But they are not notably nerdy or bookish in a sort of "can only talk about school" way.

And like I said above, it's a very diverse class, and you have the people who go to clubs, people who do intermurals, people who do the musical, people who play instruments in performance groups, people who go to every bar review, people who do a ton of club activities...
Thank you very much for your answer, landshoes. It's great news. One of the biggest draws to Chicago for me (outside of the obvious dominant factors of scholarship and career prospects) is that the class size is small. I'm assuming that means people make an effort to get along in a way that perhaps students at schools with class sizes of 500+ people would not.

gerard

New

Post by gerard » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:50 pm

WinterComing wrote:Checking in! Thanks for getting the thread going. Last week I promised to make it, but then my wife went into labor and the baby eliminated my TLS time.

http://m.imgur.com/T0iSuYF?r
Congrats Winter! That's so cool.
landshoes wrote:I like the social environment a lot. The class is very diverse in terms of interests, personalities, backgrounds, etc. People are pretty friendly and sociable. I wouldn't say it's cutthroat at all.
Sounds like a great place to be. Can't wait!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Flipper001 wrote:
landshoes wrote:
Flipper001 wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer, landshoes. It's great news. One of the biggest draws to Chicago for me (outside of the obvious dominant factors of scholarship and career prospects) is that the class size is small. I'm assuming that means people make an effort to get along in a way that perhaps students at schools with class sizes of 500+ people would not.
I'm not sure how students at bigger schools are, but I do know that people make an effort to be friendly and easy to get along with. It's also a very physically small school, so you do see a lot of the same people over and over. I personally love that about the school. Orientation also makes it easy to get to know people. We have a program that is a "leadership retreat" (Kapnick) and it helps you become familiar with different people in a structured environment. I found it very useful for making friends and felt very comfortable with my classmates on my first day of class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 pm

killingmesoftly wrote:checking in! really good chance I might end up coming here.

also, I want to book a flight soon for asw before prices go up, but I also want to possibly stay with a student overnight (because I have no money). Does anyone know which nights you can stay with students? Can you just stay Thursday and Friday night, or could you stay Saturday too if you wanted to fly back Sunday?
+1

dmp1323

New

Post by dmp1323 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Checking in! Bought my flight out for ASW and couldnt be more excited!

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Any word on 2/4 admit scholarships? Someone had said we would hear early this week.. I just really want to hear back soon before I decide to buy a plane ticket for ASW.

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:57 pm

skimmilk wrote:Any word on 2/4 admit scholarships? Someone had said we would hear early this week.. I just really want to hear back soon before I decide to buy a plane ticket for ASW.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

teflondon

New

Post by teflondon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 pm

lemondrop wrote:
skimmilk wrote:Any word on 2/4 admit scholarships? Someone had said we would hear early this week.. I just really want to hear back soon before I decide to buy a plane ticket for ASW.
+1
That was me. Also just got the email coincidentally so they're going out!

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:08 pm

2/4 admit and just received scholarship letter via email. Gonna give it a solid "better than nothing."

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Wow I definitely feel bad about bitching about waiting for the $ now :lol: pleasantly surprised! So glad to have heard before ASW so I can book my flight

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Flipper001 wrote:
I have a nice group of friends through a couple student orgs I'm in and my section. A small school helps facilitate friendships: if you're an asshole everyone will know about it. I love the people here and the people I've met.

It's not particularly cutthroat. I mean there's people "gunning" but it's really more to do the best they possibly can rather than trying to hurt others. This is similar to what land shoes said: people here have done well and school and will push themselves to keep doing well in school, but it's not at an expense to others.

There's rumors of people typing right away when they get a test to get in the heads of others but when I take exams I don't really pay attention to others. At the same time
I type write away when I get the exam but it's not to get in anyone's head - I just begin the exam lol. No one is like stealing my notes and everyone is more than willing to help.

I don't know what bookish really means. If it means nerdy, then yes. We are nerdy. People here are very smart (excluding me, but the others in the class certainly are) and well-versed in a diverse group of areas. I'd call that bookish, but I mean it in a complimentary way.

I had the same concerns as you did before coming here, but don't let the people deter you from coming: the people, at least in my class, are solid, brilliant, kind, and good.
Last edited by KMart on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:13 pm

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:18 pm

I didn't mean nerdy in a bad way. Please don't think that was an insult. Anyone here can carry on a regular conversation with anybody. I meant it as a compliment.

I think you'll have a lot of fun at ASW and hopefully see what I mean. If not, I'm happy to buy you a beer so at least you get a round on me as consolation.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:13 am

Wahrheit wrote:I hope the vibe that you all get from those of us who post regularly is that, per the midwestern standard, UChicago folks are very chill and sociable.
100% this. I've enjoyed getting to know some realy amazing people who are genuinely good people.

ftge232

Bronze

Post by ftge232 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:28 pm

what's the deal with ASW? OP says April 14-16, but the AS website says 13-16? Is it best to be there every day, or is it repetitive?

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Checking in! Probably will be in my final four, though I'm not sure I'll be able to get the time off to visit unfortunately :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”