UChicago c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
Za-or-Nah

New

Re: UChicago c/o 2019

Post by Za-or-Nah » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:35 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
ftge232 wrote:what's the deal with ASW? OP says April 14-16, but the AS website says 13-16? Is it best to be there every day, or is it repetitive?
Different programming every day, the first day should be Thursday, I think. Thursday is a lot of fun and not to be missed.
If because of flight times I get there on Thursday around 1 and then leave Saturday at about the same time, I wouldn't miss much of anything would I? Seems to be the case based on last year's schedule, but was wanting to be certain before booking

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:47 pm

spauldingno wrote:
killingmesoftly wrote:checking in! really good chance I might end up coming here.

also, I want to book a flight soon for asw before prices go up, but I also want to possibly stay with a student overnight (because I have no money). Does anyone know which nights you can stay with students? Can you just stay Thursday and Friday night, or could you stay Saturday too if you wanted to fly back Sunday?
+1
I'm not sure--this is definitely a question to send to the admissions office ASAP!

The student hosting program is somewhat informal (they ask us for our ability to host and then try to match us) so I'm not sure what exactly the framework for it is.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

segamebgeh

New

Post by segamebgeh » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Anyone have experience living in furnished grad housing? Moving cross country, the prospect of lugging a bunch of furniture or buying it all over again seems like a hassle I'd rather avoid, and the rates on the housing site seem pretty cheap. Obviously, it lacks the social appeal of Regents/Shoreland, but are they terribly run down?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:42 pm

Unfurnished grad housing is amazing for the price + size + location. Furnished housing seemed a little small and dorm-y to me. Not run down, but not amazingly nice.

My thoughts are that if you want to live alone, grad housing is the best deal. If you want to live with a roommate, Regents and Shoreland are still reasonably affordable and have good amenities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Checking in. Planning to come to ASW, and likely attending!

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:12 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
landshoes wrote:
spauldingno wrote:
killingmesoftly wrote:checking in! really good chance I might end up coming here.

also, I want to book a flight soon for asw before prices go up, but I also want to possibly stay with a student overnight (because I have no money). Does anyone know which nights you can stay with students? Can you just stay Thursday and Friday night, or could you stay Saturday too if you wanted to fly back Sunday?
+1
I'm not sure--this is definitely a question to send to the admissions office ASAP!

The student hosting program is somewhat informal (they ask us for our ability to host and then try to match us) so I'm not sure what exactly the framework for it is.
I don't feel comfortable making a definitive statement on whether you'll be covered or not. I know you'd miss the breakfast on Thursday, and I enjoyed that.

You could certainly ask them to pair you with someone who would host you on Saturday, I doubt most folks would mind.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday nights are covered by student hosts

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:24 pm

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
spauldingno wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
landshoes wrote:
spauldingno wrote:

+1

I don't feel comfortable making a definitive statement on whether you'll be covered or not. I know you'd miss the breakfast on Thursday, and I enjoyed that.

You could certainly ask them to pair you with someone who would host you on Saturday, I doubt most folks would mind.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday nights are covered by student hosts
That sounds right from memory. You could/should book a flight for Saturday night, I think.
I got a flight out of Chicago at 6:50p which I think should plenty of time to wrap up the day and get to the airport. I'm taking a red eye into Chcaigo though due to a number of factors and getting there at 6am..,I'll figure something out to do that morning!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:29 pm

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:04 pm

landshoes wrote:Unfurnished grad housing is amazing for the price + size + location. Furnished housing seemed a little small and dorm-y to me. Not run down, but not amazingly nice.

My thoughts are that if you want to live alone, grad housing is the best deal. If you want to live with a roommate, Regents and Shoreland are still reasonably affordable and have good amenities.
Is there any reason why there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about people finding non-university-affiliated apartments with roommates that also are not Regents or Shoreland? For example, I saw this craigslist ad today:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5444500034.html

This seems non-terrible, close to campus, and leaves each person with $400/month rent. I guess that's not a whole lot cheaper than some of the grad student two-bedrooms, though. Regents and Shoreland both just seem super expensive to me, particularly for those of us paying living expenses with loans, so it's been surprising for me to keep reading that so many students live there. What am I missing here?

segamebgeh

New

Post by segamebgeh » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:15 pm

archipm wrote:
landshoes wrote:Unfurnished grad housing is amazing for the price + size + location. Furnished housing seemed a little small and dorm-y to me. Not run down, but not amazingly nice.

Is there any reason why there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about people finding non-university-affiliated apartments with roommates that also are not Regents or Shoreland? For example, I saw this craigslist ad today:

This seems non-terrible, close to campus, and leaves each person with $400/month rent. I guess that's not a whole lot cheaper than some of the grad student two-bedrooms, though. Regents and Shoreland both just seem super expensive to me, particularly for those of us paying living expenses with loans, so it's been surprising for me to keep reading that so many students live there. What am I missing here?
That's about half of some of the grad two bedrooms per person. I guess you deal with random landlords instead of the university or MAC, the owner of a lot of apartments in Hyde Park. I went to UChicago undergrad and lived in an apartment like that ad for a few years--there are definitely some really good deals out there, but of course it's hard to check out the apartment beforehand if you're not in Chicago yet.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:53 pm

3pianists wrote:Checking in. Planning to come to ASW, and likely attending!
Look forward to seeing you at ASW!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:39 pm

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:35 am

archipm wrote:

I don't find them to be a bad deal, given the location and amenities. That last part is key. If you're not as interested in the things that I am interested in, you wouldn't get the same value.

Finding an apartment with a private landlord is definitely an option. I found it hard to coordinate, and ultimately couldn't get a good deal for a place that I wanted, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't work. My friends who have done this seem mostly happy. It's harder to talk about because, of course, all the landlords are different (and the apartments vary wildly in quality and size.)

Also look at the non-Regents and Shoreland apartments for both MAC and TLC (the two big landlords.) If you're looking really close to the school, try Plaisance (a TLC building.) I've heard good things about it.

In terms of the apartment you linked to, I would say that generally, the area south and west of the law school is iffier safety-wise than Hyde Park. That's something to take into account when you're comparing prices between different apartments.

Za-or-Nah

New

Post by Za-or-Nah » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:44 am

Is commuting to school via the Metra train an ordeal? Also, on the topic of apartments, are there any in the loop/south loop area anyone would suggest?

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:52 am

segamebgeh wrote:
landshoes wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
Thanks for the input! This is all really helpful. Safety is important to me, other amenities less so (gym, in-unit laundry, etc). I'll definitely check out last year's thread as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:03 pm

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:42 pm

archipm wrote: Thanks for the input! This is all really helpful. Safety is important to me, other amenities less so (gym, in-unit laundry, etc). I'll definitely check out last year's thread as well.
My pleasure! The nice thing about Hyde Park is that there are a lot of options. :)

Za-or-Nah

New

Post by Za-or-Nah » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Za-or-Nah wrote:Is commuting to school via the Metra train an ordeal? Also, on the topic of apartments, are there any in the loop/south loop area anyone would suggest?
A 2L or 3L would be better able to answer this, but I think plenty of people take Metra or the 2 or the 6. Not so many 1Ls, but I know of a few, so it's doable. It's gonna increase your transportation costs.
Alright thanks! The increased costs are certainly a bummer, but my SO will be in a grad program at a different university in the city so their travel time from Hyde Park to there would be killer so we're trying to find a compromise solution

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:56 pm

I'd definitely look at the number 2 bus as well, like warheit mentioned. One of my classmates takes it regularly & it goes straight to the door of the law school, so it's convenient in that sense. It's a bit cheaper, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:02 pm

Za-or-Nah

New

Post by Za-or-Nah » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Awesome, thanks for all the tips. I'll make sure to check them out

segamebgeh

New

Post by segamebgeh » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:50 pm

I called MAC on Friday to ask about law student rates for Regents, and they said that wasn't a promotion they were offering. Does anyone know if they only offer is 1/2/3 months before classes, or if it's just not something they do anymore?

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”