UChicago c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
KMart

Gold

Re: UChicago c/o 2019

Post by KMart » Wed May 11, 2016 1:05 am

trramic wrote:
kjm1992 wrote:
KMart wrote:
landshoes wrote:
zhenders wrote:

Hey! I have a question for you/any other current students who see this about orientation. I just noticed that there's like an overnight retreat portion and I'm concerned bc I have a dog that I obvs can't leave alone and I don't know anyone in Chicago to watch him. Do you know if we have to stay overnight?

Also, do you know generally what time each day orientation goes until? I found some schedules from previous years that seemed like they ended around 4:30/5ish but it seems like last year's might've been different and I can't find any schedule for that.
I've heard good things about this service: http://hydebarkchicago.com/services/

There's similar dog walking/pet sitting services in Hyde Park as well, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
There is an overnight portion though I'm sure if you posted in the class facebook group (the 2018 and 2017 classes) you'll find someone willing to watch him for you.

iirc the days vary but go until about 3:30-5pm. They're not bad or intensive, just a lot of panels and talking about school and careers and fun stuff.

killingmesoftly

New

Post by killingmesoftly » Thu May 12, 2016 9:32 pm

I want to live in UChicago graduate housing potentially, but when I tried to apply today I found that the waiting list for grad housing closed on May 3, 2016. Will the list open up again, or should I just give up on grad housing now? I didn't expect it to fill up so quickly, but maybe I'm missing something? Thanks!

killingmesoftly

New

Post by killingmesoftly » Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 pm

Also, a close friend is getting married September 18 and asked me to be in her wedding, which is in Egypt. I told her that I probably couldn't, since it would mean missing at least 5 days of orientation. I would prefer to go if it is at all possible though. Has anyone missed part of orientation in the past and how did that go/ is it a possibility for me to be in my friend's wedding? Thanks!

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm

My roommates and I are finally actively on the prowl for an apartment, and I'm getting incredibly psyched about everything.

jpmk

New

Post by jpmk » Sat May 21, 2016 7:22 am

Applied in Feb and sat for the Feb LSAT. Got an interview request a week ago (obviously through devine intervention) and had it on Thursday - thought it went relatively well despite times I thought I may have been incoherently rambling. Someone please say nice things and make me feel better. Also, I found the stats on students they admit after interviews but now can't seem to find it. Can someone with a gracious heart point me in the direction of said stats?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hohenheim

Bronze

Post by hohenheim » Sat May 21, 2016 4:55 pm

killingmesoftly wrote:I want to live in UChicago graduate housing potentially, but when I tried to apply today I found that the waiting list for grad housing closed on May 3, 2016. Will the list open up again, or should I just give up on grad housing now? I didn't expect it to fill up so quickly, but maybe I'm missing something? Thanks!
The University divested about half of its grad housing buildings last year, so I'm not surprised it's full right now. Sorry.

soonertbone

New

Post by soonertbone » Fri May 27, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi folks,

I hope you'll pardon the intrusion--I'm actually going to be attending the UChicago SSA program this fall. But I'm an '09 law school grad (although I decided against UChicago at the time) and actually a current law school adcomm (don't out me plz), so I'm familiar with this forum and have been lurking on some of the Chicago threads. TLS is a lot more active than any social work forum I can find, so I'm interloping here to see if anybody is looking for a roommate.

Very briefly: I'm 32 and male. I'm strongly leaning towards Hyde Park for the first year; I've done some cursory research on buildings but am open to suggestions. Looking for something nice, but reasonably within the student budget. I've only ever lived with women before (and can provide a roommate recommendation letter if you want), but open to any gender. What's more important to me is that we get along and share the same roommate values and expectations. I'm an adult, and looking for the same: somebody responsible, quiet (at home), and mature. Good communication is important to me. If you want somebody who knows what it's like to be a law student but isn't somebody you'll see every day in class, I might be your person!

I'm currently on the West Coast and will be moving in the first couple weeks of September. I'll be visiting Chicago on June 30/July 1 to look at places and potentially meet roommates. If you might be interested, please pm me and we can talk further via email or Skype. Thanks for reading, and I hope to meet some of you in the fall--our buildings are neighbors and it would be nice to meet people outside my school.

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:21 pm

landshoes wrote:Oh, flashbacks...the Glass Menagerie is like a yearbook but they produce it before school starts. It has a small black and white picture of everyone in the school. It's handy for learning names and faces. Professors use the same photos, in color, for seating charts. That way they know who they're calling on.

Send a photo of your face that wouldn't embarrass you if a professor or potential employer saw it. It doesn't need to be a professional photo, but it should be inoffensive and it should look like you.

You don't need to wear a suit, but I'd probably go with a photo where you're wearing a plausibly business casual top. I don't think it matters that much as long as it's not, idk, fetish wear, but business casual will 100% be fine and fit in with the other photos.

Maybe LinkedIn profile photo is the best analogy.
Does it matter what the background is? Admissions hasn't really elaborated on their expectations or even when/where to send the photo :shock:

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Has anyone gotten their reimbursement for ASW back? Also do we have to pay two seat deposits? I was positive we did, but now I cannot find the deadline online anymore nor the cost?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

New

Post by 5558675309 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:11 pm

skimmilk wrote:Has anyone gotten their reimbursement for ASW back? Also do we have to pay two seat deposits? I was positive we did, but now I cannot find the deadline online anymore nor the cost?
Got my reimbursement check late last week. Not certain about the second deposit, but no info on that front thus far either.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:45 pm

The background of your pic doesn't really matter much.

Same general idea as how you should be dressed -- if you wouldn't want a potential employer to see it, don't do it. So maybe not in front of a sign that says Drugs & Guns R US.

It also looks a little better if it's a plain background or a background that contrasts with your head so that you don't blend in.

marlinsfan27

New

Post by marlinsfan27 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:57 pm

Comitted to Chicago today! Woohoo! I'm a (fun, chill, overall decent) female hoping to share a 2/2 in Regents. I'm open to living with a guy. If anyone else is similar and also super late to the game, shoot me a message!

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lnlia707

New

Post by lnlia707 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:49 pm

how bold are people getting with their hobbies on their profiles? is this a karaoke, hiking, and crafting type situation? or a reading dense academic literature, campaigning for social justice, and *pretentious bragging* scenario?

lebongenre

Bronze

Post by lebongenre » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:30 pm

lnlia707 wrote:how bold are people getting with their hobbies on their profiles? is this a karaoke, hiking, and crafting type situation? or a reading dense academic literature, campaigning for social justice, and *pretentious bragging* scenario?
Haha I hope not the latter! If the consensus ends up being "pretentious bragging", then my profile will definitely stick out for all the wrong reasons...

lnlia707

New

Post by lnlia707 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:18 pm

lebongenre wrote:
lnlia707 wrote:how bold are people getting with their hobbies on their profiles? is this a karaoke, hiking, and crafting type situation? or a reading dense academic literature, campaigning for social justice, and *pretentious bragging* scenario?
Haha I hope not the latter! If the consensus ends up being "pretentious bragging", then my profile will definitely stick out for all the wrong reasons...
haha alright, suicide pact it is! 8)

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Some of our cheesier profs reference them in cold calls. Don't feel the need to flex your nerd muscle!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

T14orTradeSchool

New

Post by T14orTradeSchool » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:00 pm

Wait, if you don't mind me asking, what profile are you guys talking about exactly?

Edit: Nevermind lol in the June Letter. Got it.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:27 am

Just be normal and don't overthink it.

John Jay

New

Post by John Jay » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:41 pm

Is anyone going to a law prep course or reading any books to prepare for the Fall?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:32 pm

John Jay wrote:Is anyone going to a law prep course or reading any books to prepare for the Fall?
I didn't and I recommend not doing it. Take the summer to relax.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:15 pm

If you must, The Legal Analyst.

Imacompuda

New

Post by Imacompuda » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm a student at the law school, looking for a roommate for a 2-bedroom in Hyde Park.

Feel free to message me for more information.

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:12 pm

So how required is the glass menagerie photo? It is due tomorrow and I currently have no photo to submit :roll:

Will they accept late photos?

annaliesman

New

Post by annaliesman » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:34 pm

skimmilk wrote:So how required is the glass menagerie photo? It is due tomorrow and I currently have no photo to submit :roll:

Will they accept late photos?
I just submitted my linked in pic and called it a day

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”