UChicago c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
KMart

Gold

Re: UChicago c/o 2019

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:00 am

Za-or-Nah wrote:
liyorah wrote:Excited for ASW - it's so soon! Bringing my older sister - she's graduating medical school and needs a break 8)
+1 (minus the older sister part)

Anyone know when we will get our current student pairings? Wondering about making arrangements about whether I should pack a sleeping bag or not like the school's website suggests...
I know they give you an air mattress. I can sleep anywhere though, so an air mattress would be just fine for me.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:28 am

The deadline for students to sign up is April 8 so my guess is around then!

Za-or-Nah

New

Post by Za-or-Nah » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:57 pm

KMart wrote:
Za-or-Nah wrote:
liyorah wrote:Excited for ASW - it's so soon! Bringing my older sister - she's graduating medical school and needs a break 8)
+1 (minus the older sister part)

Anyone know when we will get our current student pairings? Wondering about making arrangements about whether I should pack a sleeping bag or not like the school's website suggests...
I know they give you an air mattress. I can sleep anywhere though, so an air mattress would be just fine for me.
I'm glad to hear about the air mattress, that will certainly do for me as well.

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:27 pm

We're gonna need a TLS code word so that we know who we are at ASW. Everyone wear a red carnation and a hat and carry a newspaper. Something discreet like that.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:02 pm

3pianists wrote:We're gonna need a TLS code word so that we know who we are at ASW. Everyone wear a red carnation and a hat and carry a newspaper. Something discreet like that.
But seriously y'all find me I'm really excited to meet you. I hope you really enjoy it here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Za-or-Nah

New

Post by Za-or-Nah » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:52 am

Question for either current students or a fellow 0L who has been to another school's ASW: what's the standard dress for guys? I assume obliviously nothing too nice but wanted to make sure jeans and all are alright.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:59 am

Za-or-Nah wrote:Question for either current students or a fellow 0L who has been to another school's ASW: what's the standard dress for guys? I assume obliviously nothing too nice but wanted to make sure jeans and all are alright.
Based on the others schools I've been to this year and what I've heard about Chicago's ASW in past years, I think jeans and a button-up would be perfect.

My strategy has just been to not be the single most casual or the single most formal person. Otherwise, I feel like no one really notices.

darthslughorn

New

Post by darthslughorn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:26 pm

WinterComing wrote:
Za-or-Nah wrote:Question for either current students or a fellow 0L who has been to another school's ASW: what's the standard dress for guys? I assume obliviously nothing too nice but wanted to make sure jeans and all are alright.
Based on the others schools I've been to this year and what I've heard about Chicago's ASW in past years, I think jeans and a button-up would be perfect.

My strategy has just been to not be the single most casual or the single most formal person. Otherwise, I feel like no one really notices.
I literally changed in the middle of an ASW, so from experience I can confirm nobody notices.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:46 pm

darthslughorn wrote:
WinterComing wrote:

I literally changed in the middle of an ASW, so from experience I can confirm nobody notices.
Story?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Za-or-Nah

New

Post by Za-or-Nah » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 pm

darthslughorn wrote:
WinterComing wrote:

Thanks for the tips, I definitely agree with that strategy as well.

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:06 am

WinterComing wrote:
darthslughorn wrote:
WinterComing wrote:

Story?
So no one will notice if I wear the same clothes on Thursday night/Friday/Saturday?
Also, what are showering expectations for ASW? Asking for a friend.

:lol:

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Just be comfortable; don't wear a suit. I wore chinos and a button up last year to all my ASWs but all the current students are just going to be in casual clothes. Don't worry about it - just have fun.

As for showering - you know if no one notices: you be free ;).

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:31 pm

I'd just like to set the record straight that I shower 1-2x/day. Just so we're all clear on that...

Anyone playing board games on Thursday night?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Hey all, congratulations to each of you; I'm super stoked to meet you all. If you're gonna be at ASW this coming weekend, ENJOY IT! Also, I just discovered I need to move downtown this summer, so if any of you all plan to be in Chicago and want a truly great place right near the school with wonderful roommates, shoot me a PM.

Again, looking forward to see you all as 1Ls -- Chicago's great.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm really excited, too! It will be great to meet everyone.

Ivy2015

New

Post by Ivy2015 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:24 pm

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:52 pm

For those who haven't seen this yet, UChicago is the undisputed best school :D :D :D

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=262376

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:14 pm

Sorry I couldn't meet y'all today; I hope to see everyone at the fair tomorrow during Wine Mess and look forward to meeting everyone. I hope you enjoyed your first day!

ftge232

Bronze

Post by ftge232 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:51 am

had to cancel last minute, and wasn't able to make Columbia. Anyone wanna volunteer to give me the rundown on their ASW experiences at both schools?

Za-or-Nah

New

Post by Za-or-Nah » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:02 am

WHADDDUUUPPPPP with everyone at this? Most ASWers have said they're still undecided...

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:47 am

Za-or-Nah wrote:WHADDDUUUPPPPP with everyone at this? Most ASWers have said they're still undecided...
I'm officially undecided only because I'm waiting for my scholly to come back from renegotiation. There are likely a few of us in that boat!

Also TLS meetup still hasn't happened which is laaaaame

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:46 am

ftge232 wrote:had to cancel last minute, and wasn't able to make Columbia. Anyone wanna volunteer to give me the rundown on their ASW experiences at both schools?
I didn't apply to Columbia so I cannot speak to their ASW, but I really enjoyed UChicago's ASW. The students and professors went above and beyond to make sure all of my questions were answered and that I was having a good time. I did not find the stereotype of "where fun goes to die" to be true at all. I also attended ASWs in California and the south and this one was by far the least stressful of them all (at least for me). Feel free to message me if you have more specific concerns or questions though!

lnlia707

New

Post by lnlia707 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:09 pm

ftge232 wrote:had to cancel last minute, and wasn't able to make Columbia. Anyone wanna volunteer to give me the rundown on their ASW experiences at both schools?
I really enjoyed Chicago's ASW. It really drove home the 'close knit community' feel. And, rather than seeming overly serious, its students and faculty mostly just seemed extremely friendly and intelligent. I got the impression that time at Chicago would be challenging but rewarding, and that there was a strong sense of humility and community to be found there. I also attended Columbia's so PM me for details (so I avoid filling the Chicago page with CLS info!)

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:37 pm

lnlia707 wrote:'close knit community' feel. And, rather than seeming overly serious, its students and faculty mostly just seemed extremely friendly and intelligent. I got the impression that time at Chicago would be challenging but rewarding, and that there was a strong sense of humility and community to be found there.
I'm glad this came across well. I was worried students would be overly serious and I can attest that your sentiment is exactly how I've felt since matriculating. I hope you enjoyed your weekend and I hope to see you in the fall!

tappatappatappa

Bronze

Post by tappatappatappa » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:42 am

Post removed...
Last edited by tappatappatappa on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”