Cornell Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2019

Post by BillClinton Jr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:31 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:
HALT_REPTAR wrote:I got my "Big Red Book" this week and it's as nice as everyone said
I've been waiting for something, anything in the mail from Cornell, but I haven't received it. How long after they admitted you did you receive the package? Maybe I should email Admissions...
Took me a month

JuliusCaesar

Bronze

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Since they said they won't negotiate till April 1st, should we wait until April 1st to email them or do it now like a waiting line and when the doors open they review past emails first?lol

Dante181

New

Post by Dante181 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:44 am

Does anyone have much sense of the housing timeline? I can't find much detail on the website but since housing applications opened up on 2/1, I'm a bit paranoid about spending much time riding waitlists after April and putting off signing a lease if it means risking getting shut out of on-campus housing--having never been to Ithaca before, I'm reluctant to deal with finding off-campus housing.

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:12 am

JuliusCaesar wrote:Since they said they won't negotiate till April 1st, should we wait until April 1st to email them or do it now like a waiting line and when the doors open they review past emails first?lol
I sent now with a "I wanted to get things to you all as soon as possible" type of thing

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Just got the voicemail from dean Ingram. Was not selected to be a Hughes scholar. Still very pleased with the alternate scholarship they've offered me. I hope my other finalists have good news coming their way!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Dante181 wrote:Does anyone have much sense of the housing timeline? I can't find much detail on the website but since housing applications opened up on 2/1, I'm a bit paranoid about spending much time riding waitlists after April and putting off signing a lease if it means risking getting shut out of on-campus housing--having never been to Ithaca before, I'm reluctant to deal with finding off-campus housing.
Even if you are shut out of on-campus housing, there are a lot of easy-to-find off-campus housing options close to campus and populated by law students (Collegetown Terrace, Collegetown Center, and random houses come to mind).

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
Dante181 wrote:Does anyone have much sense of the housing timeline? I can't find much detail on the website but since housing applications opened up on 2/1, I'm a bit paranoid about spending much time riding waitlists after April and putting off signing a lease if it means risking getting shut out of on-campus housing--having never been to Ithaca before, I'm reluctant to deal with finding off-campus housing.
Even if you are shut out of on-campus housing, there are a lot of easy-to-find off-campus housing options close to campus and populated by law students (Collegetown Terrace, Collegetown Center, and random houses come to mind).
Personally think off-campus is the way to go (especially since Hughes is off the table this year). There are tons of really nice places near the law school. I love my granite countertops, exclusive gym, apartment bus that takes me right to the law school, private dishwasher, own laundry machine/dryer. Why pay slightly less for a shitty twin bed in on-campus housing?

Btw, this was not paid for by Collegetown Terrace :)

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:54 pm

13 South is probably the only on-campus option that's worth it. Maplewood is too far. Hasbrouck is even farther, but could be worth it for families. FWIW, I got my on-campus housing assignment in mid-April my year, but that was Hughes.

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Doubt it, but is anyone living at Boiceville Cottages? I know it's kinda far from campus. We have cars but I'm hoping the bus that picks up there is reliable, because I'd rather not have to deal with parking every day. Me and my partner, a PhD student at Cornell, are renting a 1 BDRM out there.

This year, her first year in the PhD program, she lived alone in an apartment close to Ithaca Commons. She had no problem with getting to/from campus (and she was always on campus), but her building was kinda old. The sound from the upstairs neighbor was..not ideal. Still, that was one place. There seem to be a lot of a options for off campus housing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Budfox55

Bronze

Post by Budfox55 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:40 am

Trippel wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:
Personally think off-campus is the way to go (especially since Hughes is off the table this year). There are tons of really nice places near the law school. I love my granite countertops, exclusive gym, apartment bus that takes me right to the law school, private dishwasher, own laundry machine/dryer. Why pay slightly less for a shitty twin bed in on-campus housing?

Btw, this was not paid for by Collegetown Terrace :)
After visiting, I will 1000% live in collegetown terrace if I attend.

SkaEnthusiast

New

Post by SkaEnthusiast » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:23 pm

What should be my strategy/what are my chances at negotiating come April? I have no competing t14 offers but have a full ride at WUSTL and 130k at Vandy. I got a very solid initial offer, but I still think I need a slight bump before I feel comfortable attending.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:21 pm

SkaEnthusiast wrote:What should be my strategy/what are my chances at negotiating come April? I have no competing t14 offers but have a full ride at WUSTL and 130k at Vandy. I got a very solid initial offer, but I still think I need a slight bump before I feel comfortable attending.
Send them your offers from WUSTL and Vandy - they could bump your offer.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:28 pm

has anyone else NOT submitted their FAFSA or NeedAccess yet???

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Sent scholarship negotiation email to Cornell a few days ago in hopes of being early to get an increase. Today got a response letting me know they wouldn't increase my award. They're still in the running for me though. Hope you all have better luck.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:08 pm

BillClinton Jr wrote:Sent scholarship negotiation email to Cornell a few days ago in hopes of being early to get an increase. Today got a response letting me know they wouldn't increase my award. They're still in the running for me though. Hope you all have better luck.
If you don't mind sharing, what did you send in? Other scholarships?

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:25 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
BillClinton Jr wrote:Sent scholarship negotiation email to Cornell a few days ago in hopes of being early to get an increase. Today got a response letting me know they wouldn't increase my award. They're still in the running for me though. Hope you all have better luck.
Monday and used a Duke, Vandy and UT offer

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:33 pm

Got a total bump of 15k using another T14 offer, which they wound up matching

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:01 pm

BillClinton Jr wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Monday and used a Duke, Vandy and UT offer
Got it. Thanks for the response!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:47 pm

anyone at the median LSAT and around the median GPA mind PM'ing me their scholarship offer?

B102

New

Post by B102 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:55 pm

There is quite a bit of scholarship info here in the spreadsheet if you haven't already looked at it.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=253919

biddymulligan

New

Post by biddymulligan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:38 pm

For those who have negotiated scholarships, who did you contact? I just want to make sure I am following the proper process for Cornell. Thank you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Does anyone have any experience with just asking for a little more in exchange for withdrawing apps from other schools? I'm debating doing that cuz I don't have any leverage right now that I haven't already shared :( I would only need a tiny bit more to commit, maybe like $15k.

HALT_REPTAR

New

Post by HALT_REPTAR » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:55 pm

How quickly does 13 South Ave fill up? I'd love to live there, but I'm afraid that by the time I've negotiated and put my seat deposit down it will be too late.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:05 pm

HALT_REPTAR wrote:How quickly does 13 South Ave fill up? I'd love to live there, but I'm afraid that by the time I've negotiated and put my seat deposit down it will be too late.
No idea. But I was under the impression that you could fill out the housing app, get an assignment without having put down a seat deposit yet, and could withdraw without penalty if you back out before August or something.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:06 pm

what T20 schools does Cornell negotiate with? I have good offers from Vandy and WUSTL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”