Cornell Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
runthetrap1990

Bronze

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2019

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:39 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Anyone know when law review results come out? I thought it was today...
I don't have insight into this stuff any more, but it's possible (if it is supposed to come out today) that it comes out later this evening. There's precedent for late phone calls (like starting around 10:30-11pm) by the other journals in the past few years.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:45 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Anyone know when law review results come out? I thought it was today...
I don't have insight into this stuff any more, but it's possible (if it is supposed to come out today) that it comes out later this evening. There's precedent for late phone calls (like starting around 10:30-11pm) by the other journals in the past few years.
Wow really? I didn't think they'd call past 9. Thanks for the heads up.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:52 pm

I've heard from a source that LR calls are going out. No clue if they are still ongoing or not.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:14 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:I've heard from a source that LR calls are going out. No clue if they are still ongoing or not.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:23 pm

They're going out all right!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:36 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:I've heard from a source that LR calls are going out. No clue if they are still ongoing or not.
Yes they are!

SkaEnthusiast

New

Post by SkaEnthusiast » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Will we know if we're denied from LR before the deadline to accept for other journals?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:30 pm

SkaEnthusiast wrote:Will we know if we're denied from LR before the deadline to accept for other journals?
There is a waitlist that exists, and they will pull from the list if someone declines their offer (i.e. generally transfers). I believe my year a candidate who was offered an acceptance onto LR had something like two days to accept, and I think last year that was also the case (a lot of this is hazy in my memory). So I'd say if you don't hear anything by tomorrow you'll have a pretty solid idea of where things stand re: LR.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:48 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
SkaEnthusiast wrote:Will we know if we're denied from LR before the deadline to accept for other journals?
There is a waitlist that exists, and they will pull from the list if someone declines their offer (i.e. generally transfers). I believe my year a candidate who was offered an acceptance onto LR had something like two days to accept, and I think last year that was also the case (a lot of this is hazy in my memory). So I'd say if you don't hear anything by tomorrow you'll have a pretty solid idea of where things stand re: LR.
I feel like you should just be able to reneg on a secondary journal if you later make law review, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gunner19

New

Post by Gunner19 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:15 am

A little off topic, but I'm transferring in this fall and looking for apartments at the moment. Could anyone recommend some apartments within walking distance of the law school?

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 pm

This may sound dumb, but I'm from a blue collar community where we're excited to earn $10 over minimum wage, so I really don't know the answer to this question: Why do people gun to make partner at a law firm? What are the benefits? It sounds like more pressure for only (relatively) a little more money. My career goals are to do some interesting work and earn enough to live modestly and continue to do so in retirement. Is it the prestige? This is a strange world I've entered.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:51 pm

Gunner19 wrote:A little off topic, but I'm transferring in this fall and looking for apartments at the moment. Could anyone recommend some apartments within walking distance of the law school?
Be warned, living anywhere in walking distance without roommates will cost you, but here are the two most popular rentals in walking distance:
http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/
http://ithacarenting.com/collegetown-apartments/

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:55 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:This may sound dumb, but I'm from a blue collar community where we're excited to earn $10 over minimum wage, so I really don't know the answer to this question: Why do people gun to make partner at a law firm? What are the benefits? It sounds like more pressure for only (relatively) a little more money. My career goals are to do some interesting work and earn enough to live modestly and continue to do so in retirement. Is it the prestige? This is a strange world I've entered.
People gun for money and prestige, obviously. But the less obvious answer may be that most Biglaw partners fall into one of two camps (at least in my experience thus far): (1) born well-off, went to good schools, pressure to succeed/haven't ever known a life other than UMC/1 percenter; or (2) born very not well-off, and making partner is a way to guarantee that they and their children will never face the poverty they grew up in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 pm

deepseapartners wrote: People gun for money and prestige, obviously. But the less obvious answer may be that most Biglaw partners fall into one of two camps (at least in my experience thus far): (1) born well-off, went to good schools, pressure to succeed/haven't ever known a life other than UMC/1 percenter; or (2) born very not well-off, and making partner is a way to guarantee that they and their children will never face the poverty they grew up in.
Good to know, thanks. In this economy, I can't believe that making partner guarantees anything, particularly when making partner is more often a non-equity promotion these days, but if it works for gunners, whatever.

lowlands

New

Post by lowlands » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:20 am

You would think I'd remember how this works by now, but when are loans disbursed? I am only seeing my scholarship (for Spring 2018? Not for this semester) in "pending financial aid," so I'm not sure what's going on.

lowlands

New

Post by lowlands » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:25 am

I take that back, I see my fall scholarship $ has already been applied. Still don't see anything for my other loans, though.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 am

lowlands wrote:I take that back, I see my fall scholarship $ has already been applied. Still don't see anything for my other loans, though.
Mine were already disbursed and refunded. Hit my bank this weekend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”