Cornell Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
deepseapartners

Bronze

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2019

Post by deepseapartners » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:02 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:Any advice for Federal Income Taxation with Green? Tax is a subject I like, but I don't want to fuck this up. Thank you!
Fed Income Tax is weird, ime, because if you don't like tax then it's a pretty manageable class with some straightforward rule-based learning on a boring subject; but if you do like tax, you'll find the class moves too slow and is too surface-level for your liking. Probably why only 1/4 of the class showed up from day-to-day when I took it with Green.

That said, it's a very straightforward class, and Green has an odd but likable presence. Pay really close attention to the problems he hands out and goes over in class - a large portion of your final exam will be taken straight from those problems, with maybe parties reversed or names changed.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:23 pm

deepseapartners wrote:
cantexplaingottago wrote:Any advice for Federal Income Taxation with Green? Tax is a subject I like, but I don't want to fuck this up. Thank you!
Fed Income Tax is weird, ime, because if you don't like tax then it's a pretty manageable class with some straightforward rule-based learning on a boring subject; but if you do like tax, you'll find the class moves too slow and is too surface-level for your liking. Probably why only 1/4 of the class showed up from day-to-day when I took it with Green.

That said, it's a very straightforward class, and Green has an odd but likable presence. Pay really close attention to the problems he hands out and goes over in class - a large portion of your final exam will be taken straight from those problems, with maybe parties reversed or names changed.
Thanks!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:23 am

Other question: Can any 2Ls or 3Ls recommend a good supplement for Torts with Heise? He said he has no recommendations and to ask you.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 am

cantexplaingottago wrote:Other question: Can any 2Ls or 3Ls recommend a good supplement for Torts with Heise? He said he has no recommendations and to ask you.

There's a book that was available through the library when I took heise (I think as a supplement from Wendel) that was written by a UVA professor. It basically says verbatim what heise says in class. So that might be useful. I'd ask the registrar if they have the old book lists from 2017. Don't know otherwise though.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:16 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:He said he has no recommendations and to ask you.
Lol, classic Heise.

I just skimmed the E&E in some problem areas. I also recall being told that "Forms and Functions of Tort Law" by Abraham was good. ETA: Googled Kenneth Abraham and I'm almost positive this is the book referred to in the above post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:26 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
cantexplaingottago wrote:Other question: Can any 2Ls or 3Ls recommend a good supplement for Torts with Heise? He said he has no recommendations and to ask you.

There's a book that was available through the library when I took heise (I think as a supplement from Wendel) that was written by a UVA professor. It basically says verbatim what heise says in class. So that might be useful. I'd ask the registrar if they have the old book lists from 2017. Don't know otherwise though.
Lavitz wrote:
cantexplaingottago wrote:He said he has no recommendations and to ask you.
Lol, classic Heise.

I just skimmed the E&E in some problem areas. I also recall being told that "Forms and Functions of Tort Law" by Abraham was good. ETA: Googled Kenneth Abraham and I'm almost positive this is the book referred to in the above post.
Thank you both!

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Lavitz is right!

HALT_REPTAR

New

Post by HALT_REPTAR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Does anyone have an outline for Clermont spring semester of CivPro or Underkuffler's property? Struggling to get mine together at the moment and its crunch time

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm

HALT_REPTAR wrote:Does anyone have an outline for Clermont spring semester of CivPro or Underkuffler's property? Struggling to get mine together at the moment and its crunch time
Oh, Section D........

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Wed May 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Good luck tomorrow, all! :D

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Fri May 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Done!! Congratulations, everyone! :D

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Fri May 19, 2017 9:46 pm

FUCK. THIS. You guys, the write-on is killing me. I'd rather take the con law final again. Or rewrite my persuasive memo. I hate everything. :cry:

BKing

New

Post by BKing » Tue May 30, 2017 10:05 pm

The grades are out guys. :shock: :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:23 am

BKing wrote:The grades are out guys. :shock: :shock:
Yup yup. Scary, esp. now seeing firms and their callback trends on Symplicity.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:49 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
There's a new home for this AJF chatter: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=278276 Enjoy!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
There's a new home for this AJF chatter: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=278276 Enjoy!
Thanks Lavitz.

Can I ask your advice on how important it is to make law review? I'm not feeling super confident re: the writing competition because I was working while doing it.

Do you think it'll have a huge negative impact on AJF prospects or clerkships, if I want to clerk after working a year or two at a firm?

I can PM you more info re: my stats - don't want to out myself here.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:19 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote: I can PM you more info re: my stats - don't want to out myself here.
But I'm having so much fun trying to figure out who you are!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote: Thanks Lavitz.

Can I ask your advice on how important it is to make law review? I'm not feeling super confident re: the writing competition because I was working while doing it.

Do you think it'll have a huge negative impact on AJF prospects or clerkships, if I want to clerk after working a year or two at a firm?

It's not that important. Not making LR absolutely will not have a "huge negative impact" on either of those things, especially if you already have good grades. There are plenty of people without LR who outperform people with LR and similar grades. Interviewing skills > grades >>> whether you made LR or not.

But go ahead and PM me if you want more specific advice for your situation.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:27 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Thanks Lavitz.

It's important like any other "signal" of good writing/analytical ability is (e.g., honors fellow; good grades; CALIs; moot court; published notes; etc)

It won't have a huge negative impact on your AJF prospects or clerkships.

As Lavitz said, interviewing skills > grades (to an extent) >>> law review >>>>>>>prior work experience > all other extracurricular activities, i'd say. But obviously this isn't a science.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hopstoopid

New

Post by hopstoopid » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:14 am

Thoughts on Crim Pro: Adjudication with Blume or New Rights, Cyberspace and Law seminar with Yu?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:23 pm

hopstoopid wrote:Thoughts on Crim Pro: Adjudication with Blume or New Rights, Cyberspace and Law seminar with Yu?
CrimPro with Blume was one of my favorite classes. Blume is fairly entertaining and the material is interesting. Lots of gunners tend to take it though. Never heard of the Cyberspace class.

This is also a remind that this exists: https://cls.campusbolt.com/login/?r=%2F

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Lavitz wrote:This is also a remind that this exists: https://cls.campusbolt.com/login/?r=%2F
The registrar also started releasing most of the class evaluations on their website - not sure if they include the written comments, but could be something to glance at if you're interested

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Lavitz wrote:
hopstoopid wrote:Thoughts on Crim Pro: Adjudication with Blume or New Rights, Cyberspace and Law seminar with Yu?
CrimPro with Blume was one of my favorite classes. Blume is fairly entertaining and the material is interesting. Lots of gunners tend to take it though. Never heard of the Cyberspace class.

Can confirm: Blume is great (although I had him in a different context than CrimPro).

FWI minimally W - CrimPro is on the bar and has by far been the most interesting stuff I've had to learn for the exam.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Lavitz wrote:

I took crim pro with Blume because it satisfied the professional responsibility requirement, and it was a great class. I still occasionally reference some things I learned in that class in general discussions about the criminal justice system.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Anyone know when law review results come out? I thought it was today...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”