Cornell Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
Tycho

Bronze

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2019

Post by Tycho » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Hope everyone's first (partial) week of law school was great!

jrvansant

New

Post by jrvansant » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:16 am

Tycho wrote:Hope everyone's first (partial) week of law school was great!
Thanks and likewise. I'm enjoying it so far and find the material pretty interesting. I can also see how if I didn't find the material interesting, it would be torture.

jrvansant

New

Post by jrvansant » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:36 am

It also wore me out though, which is somewhat worrying. I was planning on going to Ithacrawl last night but I was dead by 8 pm.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:13 am

jrvansant wrote:It also wore me out though, which is somewhat worrying. I was planning on going to Ithacrawl last night but I was dead by 8 pm.
Intellectual exhaustion is far different from any other type, and I don't know about you, but I'm not used to being mentally "on" all day.

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:18 pm

jrvansant wrote:It also wore me out though, which is somewhat worrying. I was planning on going to Ithacrawl last night but I was dead by 8 pm.
Wouldn't worry too much. Add in the stress of adjusting to new surroundings and generating new routines to the actual classwork and it's absolutely understandable, I'd think. We're all dealing with that to some effect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrvansant

New

Post by jrvansant » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Yeah those are both good points. Looking forward to getting into more of a routine.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Does anyone else feel like they're unable to keep up? Sigh... I've resolved to devoting my whole weekend to reading.

HALT_REPTAR

New

Post by HALT_REPTAR » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:35 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Does anyone else feel like they're unable to keep up? Sigh... I've resolved to devoting my whole weekend to reading.
Same...

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:38 pm

HALT_REPTAR wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:Does anyone else feel like they're unable to keep up? Sigh... I've resolved to devoting my whole weekend to reading.
Same...
I can keep up with the reading if I don't make notes or attempt to brief cases while I'm at it. Ditto about reading this weekend, and probably next weekend, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 pm

My own 2 cents: I hope you guys are making time to go out at least one night per weekend while you still can. You'll get more efficient at studying as time goes on. Meanwhile, the amount of effort you put in at the end of the semester matters 10x more than whatever you're doing right now. You'll end up re-learning all of this when you outline over Fall Break and then again at the end of the semester anyway. Might as well get in some enjoyment now so you don't burn out when it counts. Also, just to remain sane and mentally healthy. If that means you have a few less lines in your briefs on a day you get cold-called, so be it. All that matters is the exam.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:
HALT_REPTAR wrote:
Same...
I can keep up with the reading if I don't make notes or attempt to brief cases while I'm at it. Ditto about reading this weekend, and probably next weekend, too.
Exactly. But if I don't make notes or attempt to brief cases, I don't have much to reference during class.

And Lavitz, I can't go out on weekends anymore - if I do, I get hungover or I'm too tired for most of the next day to study lol. I'm so old.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:18 pm

Lavitz wrote:My own 2 cents: I hope you guys are making time to go out at least one night per weekend while you still can. You'll get more efficient at studying as time goes on. Meanwhile, the amount of effort you put in at the end of the semester matters 10x more than whatever you're doing right now. You'll end up re-learning all of this when you outline over Fall Break and then again at the end of the semester anyway. Might as well get in some enjoyment now so you don't burn out when it counts. Also, just to remain sane and mentally healthy. If that means you have a few less lines in your briefs on a day you get cold-called, so be it. All that matters is the exam.
Def keeping this in mind. I'm relearning how to learn at the moment.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:33 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:And Lavitz, I can't go out on weekends anymore - if I do, I get hungover or I'm too tired for most of the next day to study lol. I'm so old.
As someone who is probably older than you, got extremely drunk every weekend before Fall Break, and still kept up with readings, I highly doubt the plausibility of this claim. In fact, it seems so implausible that it won't stand up to a 12b6 motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim. There, I just helped you learn CivPro. Now go have a beer. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Lavitz wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:And Lavitz, I can't go out on weekends anymore - if I do, I get hungover or I'm too tired for most of the next day to study lol. I'm so old.
As someone who is probably older than you, got extremely drunk every weekend before Fall Break, and still kept up with readings, I highly doubt the plausibility of this claim. In fact, it seems so implausible that it won't stand up to a 12b6 motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim. There, I just helped you learn CivPro. Now go have a beer. :wink:
So proud of myself for understanding that joke.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
So proud of myself for understanding that joke.
I got it too!!! Yay me!

Yellow car, we win.

h2ink

New

Post by h2ink » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:37 am

I'm pretty shocked at the disparity in quality between Lawyering and all my other classes. I wasn't expecting it to be my favorite class or anything, but I also wasn't expecting it to be a straight up waste of time, which it unfortunately seems like.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:20 pm

h2ink wrote:I'm pretty shocked at the disparity in quality between Lawyering and all my other classes. I wasn't expecting it to be my favorite class or anything, but I also wasn't expecting it to be a straight up waste of time, which it unfortunately seems like.
Prof?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

h2ink

New

Post by h2ink » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:57 pm

I'd rather not say the prof. I will say I feel like the prof condescends quite a bit to all of us in that class, which is not a vibe I get anywhere else in CLS and is super off putting. I understand why a legal writing class is important and can even see the argument for it being a credited course when at many other schools it's not. I just wish it felt more substantial. Maybe (hopefully) it'll change for the better throughout the semester.

wyattg

New

Post by wyattg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:41 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by wyattg on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Are there generally any responsibilities a 1L needs to watch out for during Spring Break, other than regular studying/reviewing? I'd like to travel then, and airfare is decent right now. Thoughts?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 pm

cantexplaingottago wrote:Are there generally any responsibilities a 1L needs to watch out for during Spring Break, other than regular studying/reviewing? I'd like to travel then, and airfare is decent right now. Thoughts?
Not really. Memos are always due right before the breaks. I forget if LII still does its writing comp then, but LII is probably not worth it anyway. If you did moot court and made it to the elimination rounds, you'd have to prep, but that shouldn't take too long.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HALT_REPTAR

New

Post by HALT_REPTAR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Does anyone have an outline for CivPro with Holden-Smith? I've been struggling to get my own going and could use a frame of reference. Thanks!

Also, let me know if this is breaking any rules or something and I will take it down.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 pm

HALT_REPTAR wrote:Does anyone have an outline for CivPro with Holden-Smith? I've been struggling to get my own going and could use a frame of reference. Thanks!

Also, let me know if this is breaking any rules or something and I will take it down.
PM'd

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Me right now, studying for Civ Pro.

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Good luck on civ pro tomorrow, everyone!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”