Cornell Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell Law Class of 2019

Post by Lavitz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:48 pm

Califbess wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
Califbess wrote:Checking in, plus going to the admitted student day. Is anyone who'll have a car interested in a carpool sort of arrangement? Not sure how necessary it will be, but it could make getting to the campus in the morning a bit easier.
Where are you trying to carpool from?
A house on the 120 block of Columbia Street. Apparently there's a bus stop nearby, but it would be good to hear from anyone who's been to Ithaca before whether that would be a reliable way to get to campus.
Bus is probably reliable. Might take a while though since I believe that line goes the long way around the law school. But walking would take just as long and it's a long uphill climb.

If you were to drive, parking near the law school is a PITA. Assuming admissions hasn't given instructions or accommodations on this, both of the lots behind the law school are reserved for faculty and staff 9-5 during weekdays. If you leave your car there all day, decent risk you'll get a fine of like $100 or $150. If you don't want to take that risk, there's a parking garage in Collegetown on Dryden, and one on Hoy Road between the football and baseball fields. Can also just drive around and try to find street parking somewhere close by, like on Buffalo.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:27 pm

BillClinton Jr wrote:Headed to the April ASD. Magically found a flight into Ithaca but does anyone have recommendations for hotels? The one's closest to campus with shuttles to campus (and the on campus hotel) are books for the days of the event :oops: :oops: :oops:
If all the ones in the Commons (Hilton Garden Inn) are booked, then probably just use Airbnb. If you don't want to use Airbnb, the Country Inn & Suites is a bit expensive and farther away, but they claim to have a shuttle and it seems they have rooms left. Not sure if the shuttle would stop on campus though. If you're truly desperate, you can try the Hillside Inn. I stayed there for ASD and wouldn't exactly recommend it (old, musty, was woken up at 7am by sound of couple arguing in room above me), but it was cheap and close.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:36 pm

SkaEnthusiast wrote:Checking in! So I submitted the scholarship form and indicated that I would like to be considered for both need and merit aid. I will be getting all of the tax forms and needaccess in tomorrow, but they have already offered me a scholarship package.

I guess my question is, is it possible that they could increase my aid after reviewing my need forms because presumably the current offer is merit only?
Possible, but I believe they won't notice and decide to bump your award unless you're extremely needy. It could be that because you deserved a large amount in merit aid, they already decided not to consider need-based aid for you. At least that's what Michigan explicitly did when they handed out dean's scholarships back when I applied. And I honestly think need-based aid has mostly disappeared here. If, however, your current offer isn't that high, and you think you deserve more based on financial need, you should probably let them know that you just submitted the needaccess form and ask them to reconsider the total aid package to reflect both need and merit, instead of hoping they'll notice on their own.

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:59 am

Lavitz wrote:
SkaEnthusiast wrote:Checking in! So I submitted the scholarship form and indicated that I would like to be considered for both need and merit aid. I will be getting all of the tax forms and needaccess in tomorrow, but they have already offered me a scholarship package.

I guess my question is, is it possible that they could increase my aid after reviewing my need forms because presumably the current offer is merit only?
Possible, but I believe they won't notice and decide to bump your award unless you're extremely needy. It could be that because you deserved a large amount in merit aid, they already decided not to consider need-based aid for you. At least that's what Michigan explicitly did when they handed out dean's scholarships back when I applied. And I honestly think need-based aid has mostly disappeared here. If, however, your current offer isn't that high, and you think you deserve more based on financial need, you should probably let them know that you just submitted the needaccess form and ask them to reconsider the total aid package to reflect both need and merit, instead of hoping they'll notice on their own.
Also, I was told they won't start looking at reevaluating awards until April 1

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:03 pm

I'll be there Friday, looking forward to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:42 pm

toomanymornings wrote:I'll be there Friday, looking forward to it.
Me too!

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:25 am

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
toomanymornings wrote:I'll be there Friday, looking forward to it.
Me too!
Enjoy it! Unable to make it Friday, but I visited a few weeks ago and it's beautiful up there.

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:34 pm

I'll be there the 14th and 15th! Looking forward to meeting some of y'all!

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:39 pm

I look forward to meeting you all at Cornell this week! Not looking forward to waking up at the crack of dawn tomorrow cuz Ithaca is so hard to get to from the West Coast. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:41 pm

I am unable to attend ASD this week, but given Cornell's scholarship offer it is still a serious contender for me! If while visiting anyone has any insights into what the campus and/or students are like please feel free to pm me or post ITT! Also how difficult is it to find housing in Ithaca and what is the typical price range for housing (I am from the South and have never lived in snow before so I am interested in close housing that won't require a lot of driving). I hope everyone has fun!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm

What is expected dress for ASD? Sorry if it's a dumb question!

WhiteHouse

Bronze

Post by WhiteHouse » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:01 pm

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:What is expected dress for ASD? Sorry if it's a dumb question!
They said dress comfortably, but the weather says snow on Friday so sweater and a jacket should be fine

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:02 pm

WhiteHouse wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:What is expected dress for ASD? Sorry if it's a dumb question!
They said dress comfortably, but the weather says snow on Friday so sweater and a jacket should be fine
Just saw the email. lol oops. Thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AMajorChord

New

Post by AMajorChord » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:09 am

are there things to do Thursday night? like in Ithaca before ASW?

Dante181

New

Post by Dante181 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 am

Did people get any confirmation response that their tax returns had been received by Cornell?

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:32 am

Any word on the Travel Subsidy??? Submitted Mine almost a month ago

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:45 am

Dante181 wrote:Did people get any confirmation response that their tax returns had been received by Cornell?
No, I don't think they confirm this unless you specifically call or email to ask.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AMajorChord

New

Post by AMajorChord » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:59 am

AMajorChord wrote:are there things to do Thursday night? like in Ithaca before ASW?
bump for the homies going :shock:

Drmrndaphd

New

Post by Drmrndaphd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Should I be worried if I haven't received a scholarship yet? I was admitted on January 8th.

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Drmrndaphd wrote:Should I be worried if I haven't received a scholarship yet? I was admitted on January 8th.
Did you submit fin aid app and FAFSA (plus NeedAccess and tax returns if applying for need aid) to Cornell?

Drmrndaphd

New

Post by Drmrndaphd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah, I've submitted both of those.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

B102

New

Post by B102 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:23 pm

BillClinton Jr wrote:Any word on the Travel Subsidy??? Submitted Mine almost a month ago
I think we applied around the same time... I received an email 2 weeks ago telling me I was approved for the subsidy.

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Drmrndaphd wrote:Yeah, I've submitted both of those.
Well, they'll send you an e-mail one way or the other with a fin aid package which will contain loans you qualify for in addition to (hopefully) a scholarship. Those not awarded schollies, I believe, still got an e-mail offering all loans. Good luck!

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Tycho wrote:
Drmrndaphd wrote:Yeah, I've submitted both of those.
Well, they'll send you an e-mail one way or the other with a fin aid package which will contain loans you qualify for in addition to (hopefully) a scholarship. Those not awarded schollies, I believe, still got an e-mail offering all loans. Good luck!
you might want to call and make sure everything's in and complete. i thought i had submitted everything but had made a mistake, and once i fixed it the turnaround was really quick.

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:53 am

B102 wrote:
BillClinton Jr wrote:Any word on the Travel Subsidy??? Submitted Mine almost a month ago
I think we applied around the same time... I received an email 2 weeks ago telling me I was approved for the subsidy.
thanks, wonder what happened with mine...I'm going to the April 15 ASD so I wonder if that's the hold up?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”