Stanford Law School c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

If not SLS, where?

Yale
21%
Harvard
26%
CCN
19%
Other T-14
5%
Somewhere Else
8%
If not SLS? WTF are you talking about? I'm deposited baby!
21%

Total votes: 62

4thand9

Bronze

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2019

Post by 4thand9 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:13 pm

fliptrip wrote:New poll and updated dates in the OP folks.

Meanwhile, since I think I'm the only person 'round here who's already deposited at SLS, I was really excited to see that the housing application opened today. I'd like not to spend an arm and a leg and I don't think our board is overburdened with things to talk about, so I'm curious to know what folks think about this:

I don't want to spend to live in Munger and would really like to keep it as cheap as possible overall. I don't think Escondido Village is a bad option (it's $300/month cheaper for a studio), but as I was thinking, I thought that I might as well go all-in on pinching the pennies and get let SU match me up with a roommate to take a junior studio in Kennedy (don't even know my odds of actually getting it). Is that crazy?
Congrats on depositing!

Even though I haven't deposited yet, housing is definitely interesting to look at. I'm happy Stanford does provide decent housing, considering how crazy rents can be in Palo Alto.

clovis

Bronze

Post by clovis » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:48 pm

TLS meetup Friday night, anyone? (Lurkers welcome. Actually anyone welcome, but somehow I felt more comfortable posting here than in the FB group.) Prefer somewhere in downtown Palo Alto or University South, but have never been and don't know what's good. Getting excited! :mrgreen:

HugsNotDrugs

New

Post by HugsNotDrugs » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Getting in too late for a Friday meetup, sorry. Just spent an embarrassing amount of time picking out what to wear/ packing, then got the email saying the dress is "casual". Back to the drawing board.

4thand9

Bronze

Post by 4thand9 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:06 am

HugsNotDrugs wrote:Getting in too late for a Friday meetup, sorry. Just spent an embarrassing amount of time picking out what to wear/ packing, then got the email saying the dress is "casual". Back to the drawing board.
As long as you are not full business or full beach attire, you're all good :D

AlohaKai

New

Post by AlohaKai » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:59 am

4thand9 wrote:
HugsNotDrugs wrote:Getting in too late for a Friday meetup, sorry. Just spent an embarrassing amount of time picking out what to wear/ packing, then got the email saying the dress is "casual". Back to the drawing board.
Coming from a current student - full beach attire is actually highly encouraged

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HugsNotDrugs

New

Post by HugsNotDrugs » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:50 am

AlohaKai wrote:
4thand9 wrote:
Coming from a current student - full beach attire is actually highly encouraged
Haha, I mean I guess I've already been accepted so why not...

I veered more business-casual than casual. I'm more anxious about this weekend than I expected and my clothes are something over which I have some control, hence my out-of-character sartorial stress.

And now I'm seeing it might rain. Beach attire getting more likely by the hour.

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:30 am

Red-eyed back to work from SFO last night, so gonna be rough getting through the workday. All of you are wonderful people, was extremely impressed by the Admit Weekend! Hope some of you are enjoying the classes out there today, and that the weather's getting a bit nicer as well.

mesnggirl

New

Post by mesnggirl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:41 pm

I drank the ASW kool-aid so hard. So. damn. hard.

4thand9

Bronze

Post by 4thand9 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:44 pm

mesnggirl wrote:I drank the ASW kool-aid so hard. So. damn. hard.
+180. It was a really well done ASW, really enjoyed meeting a ton of students.

Definitely drank the Cardinal Kool-Aid

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Same. One more sip and I would have been squatting in Munger for the next 4 months.

mesnggirl

New

Post by mesnggirl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:56 pm

GrayGamut wrote:
Same. One more sip and I would have been squatting in Munger for the next 4 months.
I think that your earlier assessment of SLS students embodying what it means to be a chill/type-a person was spot on. People were so dope and personable and the school presented so many incredible opportunities and aaaagggghhhhhh.

clovis

Bronze

Post by clovis » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:14 pm

Me too! I'm basically sold. For me, SLS was the unknown quantity compared to HLS. Now that I've seen it I feel like I have enough information to make my decision, though I am still visiting H this weekend.

Jengibre

New

Post by Jengibre » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:47 am

clovis wrote:Me too! I'm basically sold. For me, SLS was the unknown quantity compared to HLS. Now that I've seen it I feel like I have enough information to make my decision, though I am still visiting H this weekend.
Same here. Going into I was leaning toward HLS, but I absolutely loved the SLS ASW! We'll see how HLS compares this weekend :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:17 pm

mesnggirl wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
I think that your earlier assessment of SLS students embodying what it means to be a chill/type-a person was spot on. People were so dope and personable and the school presented so many incredible opportunities and aaaagggghhhhhh.
They do a ridiculously good job of presenting (possibly accurately) SLS as the single most enjoyable way to get a JD. Spend 3 years in Palo Alto, in a wonderful bubble of ridiculously smart, friendly people, with very little competition because grads are in such demand. It's an incredibly appealing and exceptionally strong spell.

Obviously, the only thing you really aren't seeing is current grads in more regular roles, who actual have to pay off the debt that current students pooh-pooh with "LRAP is great/if you do corporate you'll pay it off easily" But that's not what ASW is about of course, and it definitely makes the no debt at a great school vs. SLS with a ton of debt real, real hard to decide...

mesnggirl

New

Post by mesnggirl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Necho2 wrote: They do a ridiculously good job of presenting (possibly accurately) SLS as the single most enjoyable way to get a JD. Spend 3 years in Palo Alto, in a wonderful bubble of ridiculously smart, friendly people, with very little competition because grads are in such demand. It's an incredibly appealing and exceptionally strong spell.

Obviously, the only thing you really aren't seeing is current grads in more regular roles, who actual have to pay off the debt that current students pooh-pooh with "LRAP is great/if you do corporate you'll pay it off easily" But that's not what ASW is about of course, and it definitely makes the no debt at a great school vs. SLS with a ton of debt real, real hard to decide...
I'm lucky/unlucky in the sense that I received full need-based aid and don't have any full tuition scholarship offers at T14 schools. While I would still take out more debt at SLS than anywhere else I would attend (by around 50k), for me the opportunities at SLS are definitely worth the cost. I think that debt comparison is incredibly difficult and personal, but depending on your career aspirations it may make a lot of sense to take a full ride to a different school or to attend SLS.

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:18 pm

mesnggirl wrote:
Necho2 wrote: They do a ridiculously good job of presenting (possibly accurately) SLS as the single most enjoyable way to get a JD. Spend 3 years in Palo Alto, in a wonderful bubble of ridiculously smart, friendly people, with very little competition because grads are in such demand. It's an incredibly appealing and exceptionally strong spell.

I'm lucky/unlucky in the sense that I received full need-based aid and don't have any full tuition scholarship offers at T14 schools. While I would still take out more debt at SLS than anywhere else I would attend (by around 50k), for me the opportunities at SLS are definitely worth the cost. I think that debt comparison is incredibly difficult and personal, but depending on your career aspirations it may make a lot of sense to take a full ride to a different school or to attend SLS.
That's awesome! Congrats and with full need-based aid I definitely think SLS can make plenty of sense. I'm at $0 aid (pending a reconsideration) from SLS and have a Ruby offer, so I'm not attending barring a huge change upon reconsideration. But that ASW weekend really makes that decision tougher to make going in.

quadsbaby

New

Post by quadsbaby » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:00 pm

For those of you debating Munger vs. anything else, definitely talk to current students. The vast majority of the law events are in Munger, and EV is far enough from Munger (~1mi) that you might get a little FOMO. Otherwise EV studios aren't bad (the EV doubles / triples are pretty damn old), though Munger has AC (nice in the summer for any of you who stick around). Also, since most of your neighbors in EV will be engineers, don't expect a lot of socialization. #QuietHalls

Source: I was a Stanford PhD (engineering) student and lived in both Munger and EV studios. I also lived in Rains once.

(and if it wasn't perfectly clear, I'm gonna be a 1L in the fall with any of y'all that choose to come to Stanford).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mesnggirl

New

Post by mesnggirl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:31 pm

fliptrip wrote:New poll and updated dates in the OP folks.

Meanwhile, since I think I'm the only person 'round here who's already deposited at SLS, I was really excited to see that the housing application opened today. I'd like not to spend an arm and a leg and I don't think our board is overburdened with things to talk about, so I'm curious to know what folks think about this:

I don't want to spend to live in Munger and would really like to keep it as cheap as possible overall. I don't think Escondido Village is a bad option (it's $300/month cheaper for a studio), but as I was thinking, I thought that I might as well go all-in on pinching the pennies and get let SU match me up with a roommate to take a junior studio in Kennedy (don't even know my odds of actually getting it). Is that crazy?
I don't think you're crazy, but I'm also used to way cheaper rent and am trying to save wherever I can. After ASW, I think that I want to be able to escape the law school/Munger bubble when I please and would be happy to walk/bike a little less than a mile to get to my residence. I'm not a huge fan of the junior studios in Kennedy (there is only one chair for a living space and I would like more room to have people over), but I am filling out my housing app to prioritize EV over Munger.

ss32

New

Post by ss32 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:57 pm

How do housing assignments in Munger apartments work? Do you just get assigned to a room in an apartment with random people, or do people request roommates they met at ASW/on the Facebook group? Are all randomly-assigned apartments single sex, or mixed? I wasn't able to go to ASW, so wondering how this works.

4thand9

Bronze

Post by 4thand9 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:26 pm

Stone Cold SLS sending out an email bragging about ASW in the middle of Harvard's 2nd ASW.

"Wherever you are right now..." Lol :D

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:54 am

could anyone shed some light on a. how to apply for housing and b. how roommates etc. are allocated? are suites etc. mixed-sex? can you choose roommates? so many questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Last edited by LoganCouture on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quadsbaby

New

Post by quadsbaby » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:03 pm

wellreallynow wrote:could anyone shed some light on a. how to apply for housing and b. how roommates etc. are allocated? are suites etc. mixed-sex? can you choose roommates? so many questions.
You apply through the RDE link on Axess. Roommates are allocated according to a matching system (based on a short survey of preferences for noise, timing, etc.) or you can apply as a group (allowing you to specify specific roommates). Suites are not generally mixed-sex, although you can specify a mixed-sex group to apply as.

All this and more can be found at https://rde.stanford.edu/studenthousing ... -contracts under "Show Topics" for "Single Graduate Housing".

clovis

Bronze

Post by clovis » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:06 pm

LoganCouture wrote:Apparently SLS is axing their sports law and entertainment law classes at least for next year but possibly long term...
Source for this? IP is a huge strength of SLS and a major part of entertainment law.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:28 pm

clovis wrote:
LoganCouture wrote:Apparently SLS is axing their sports law and entertainment law classes at least for next year but possibly long term...
Source for this? IP is a huge strength of SLS and a major part of entertainment law.
Update 5/6/16: As far as I know Entertainment Law will now be offered next year (16-17) and then every other year.
Last edited by LoganCouture on Fri May 06, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”