Stanford Law School c/o 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

If not SLS, where?

Yale
21%
Harvard
26%
CCN
19%
Other T-14
5%
Somewhere Else
8%
If not SLS? WTF are you talking about? I'm deposited baby!
21%

Total votes: 62

GrayGamut

New

Re: Stanford Law School c/o 2019

Post by GrayGamut » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:07 am

I've been talking to a few current students over the past couple weeks and my SLS hype is back at 100. This school has a knack for attracting the most chill type-A people ever. Anyone else feeling this? ASW in 10 days!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:18 am

GrayGamut wrote:I've been talking to a few current students over the past couple weeks and my SLS hype is back at 100. This school has a knack for attracting the most chill type-A people ever. Anyone else feeling this? ASW in 10 days!
I feel it, yes, but I don't trust it. I think those folks will cut your throat just as quickly as anyone in Cambridge or New Haven. They just do it while saying "chill, brah".

MarshallMarshal

New

Post by MarshallMarshal » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:33 am

Honestly, I'm not so sure. I have some former coworkers who are there now and current ones who are alum, and all of them really are this perfect blend of chill and adept. AND they are all genuinely decent and helpful human beings. Totally anecdotal, but it gives me some hope that it's not all just talk.

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:36 pm

MarshallMarshal wrote:Honestly, I'm not so sure. I have some former coworkers who are there now and current ones who are alum, and all of them really are this perfect blend of chill and adept. AND they are all genuinely decent and helpful human beings. Totally anecdotal, but it gives me some hope that it's not all just talk.
Yeah, I may be blissfully naive (wouldn't be the first time), but I don't believe that everyone gets sucked into the gunner vortex. Most folks fully admit that the race exists, but say that it's been relatively easy to opt out, especially folks with less traditional career goals. To be fair, folks at Y and H have said the same, but in a much more polished, buttoned up sort of way that I (maybe unfairly) associate with the East Coast. I just jive with the West Coast culturally, and those intangibles are starting to come through as I get further into this process.

4thand9

Bronze

Post by 4thand9 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:39 pm

hindo wrote:Did anyone else get an email from the Dean? the first paragraph was pretty personalized so I'm trying to gauge how regular this is
Stanford definitely adds a personal touch after acceptance (Student/Alumni calls = fun).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mesnggirl

New

Post by mesnggirl » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Financial aid update:

I called the office to double check that they had received my reply to a question that they had sent me regarding my NeedAccess form and I used the opportunity to ask about the timeline for outgoing aid packages. Apparently, we should receive our financial aid info by the end of next week (aka ASW).

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:18 pm

mesnggirl wrote:Financial aid update:

I called the office to double check that they had received my reply to a question that they had sent me regarding my NeedAccess form and I used the opportunity to ask about the timeline for outgoing aid packages. Apparently, we should receive our financial aid info by the end of next week (aka ASW).
Thanks for the info!

4thand9

Bronze

Post by 4thand9 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:14 pm

I bet Dean Deal is just looking at the weather for this weekend's Harvard ASW and laughing with glee:
Friday: rain and thunderstorm
Saturday: 37 low and rain
Sunday: 37high and snow

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:19 pm

checking in! literally got the call this morning and so excited i can't even.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:38 pm

wellreallynow wrote:checking in! literally got the call this morning and so excited i can't even.
Congrats! I hope you can make it to ASW even with the short notice!

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:39 pm

GrayGamut wrote:
wellreallynow wrote:checking in! literally got the call this morning and so excited i can't even.
Literally just dropped 700 on a flight. thank god stanford is reimbursing half of it but...yikes. this is like more than ive spent on airfare ever.

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:44 pm

wellreallynow wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
Literally just dropped 700 on a flight. thank god stanford is reimbursing half of it but...yikes. this is like more than ive spent on airfare ever.
Yikes. Yeah, the last minute thing is no joke, but but I'm glad you can make it happen! In the grand scheme of this whole JD pursuit, I suppose what's another $300 if you can swing it, right?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:56 pm

wellreallynow wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
That's a lot of money, but the information you're going to get is going to be valuable for sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:54 pm

fliptrip wrote:
wellreallynow wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:
Yikes. Yeah, the last minute thing is no joke, but but I'm glad you can make it happen! In the grand scheme of this whole JD pursuit, I suppose what's another $300 if you can swing it, right?

Yeah agreed, there's no way I'd miss this! ASWs have been hugely helpful everywhere else so in the bigger scheme of things, totally worth it.

HugsNotDrugs

New

Post by HugsNotDrugs » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Greetings from Houston! I also got the call yesterday afternoon. So excited. Looking forward to the ASW next weekend. I'm going to stay for Monday, would like to meet with someone in the School of Education about the JD/ MA joint degree. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:47 am

Is there a facebook group for this class?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:54 am

wellreallynow wrote:Is there a facebook group for this class?
Yes, the invite comes a couple of days after you're admitted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mesnggirl

New

Post by mesnggirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:49 pm

T-minus 4 days until ASW! Who's pumped? I'm pumped. It's 45 degrees and rainy in my current location, so the thought of California weather is getting me through the week.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm pumped to stare at your cat 'tar for another couple of minutes. That's one interesting feline.

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:59 pm

fliptrip wrote:I'm pumped to stare at your cat 'tar for another couple of minutes. That's one interesting feline.
haha +1

eta: I'm also pumped about ASW! Coming from similar weather, giddy at the thought of shedding some layers.

mesnggirl

New

Post by mesnggirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:02 pm

fliptrip wrote:I'm pumped to stare at your cat 'tar for another couple of minutes. That's one interesting feline.
Lil Bub is my spirit animal. She has so much derp and determination. I dare you to check her facebook page and try to leave before scrolling through pictures for at least five minutes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Pumped for ASW and looking forward to meeting all of you guys. Financially it's looking like Stanford's just not gonna make enough sense in regards to my long-term goals, but looking forward to giving them a chance to take their best shot at me!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:18 pm

New poll and updated dates in the OP folks.

Meanwhile, since I think I'm the only person 'round here who's already deposited at SLS, I was really excited to see that the housing application opened today. I'd like not to spend an arm and a leg and I don't think our board is overburdened with things to talk about, so I'm curious to know what folks think about this:

I don't want to spend to live in Munger and would really like to keep it as cheap as possible overall. I don't think Escondido Village is a bad option (it's $300/month cheaper for a studio), but as I was thinking, I thought that I might as well go all-in on pinching the pennies and get let SU match me up with a roommate to take a junior studio in Kennedy (don't even know my odds of actually getting it). Is that crazy?

cranburial

New

Post by cranburial » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:26 pm

fliptrip wrote:New poll and updated dates in the OP folks.

Meanwhile, since I think I'm the only person 'round here who's already deposited at SLS, I was really excited to see that the housing application opened today. I'd like not to spend an arm and a leg and I don't think our board is overburdened with things to talk about, so I'm curious to know what folks think about this:

I don't want to spend to live in Munger and would really like to keep it as cheap as possible overall. I don't think Escondido Village is a bad option (it's $300/month cheaper for a studio), but as I was thinking, I thought that I might as well go all-in on pinching the pennies and get let SU match me up with a roommate to take a junior studio in Kennedy (don't even know my odds of actually getting it). Is that crazy?
Based on this chart there are 220 spots in those studios, so I think your odds are decent: http://rde-stanford-edu.s3.amazonaws.co ... eChart.pdf

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:31 pm

What about the roommate thing? Crazy? I haven't had a roommate in ever, man. In ever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”