Texas Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What are you doing this summer?

Judicial Internship
11%
Public Interest
11%
In-House
No votes
Big Law
47%
Medium Law
5%
Small Law
No votes
Government
11%
Split (tell us about it!)
5%
I have no idea someone please hire me please I just need to work
11%

Total votes: 19

A@M_or_bust

Bronze

Re: Texas Law Class of 2019

Post by A@M_or_bust » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:20 pm

BigTex wrote:Torts - Powers
Civ Pro - Mullenix
Con Law - Chesney

Could any of you Elder Ls offer any other advice/comments on these profs and/or general survival of 1L?

Thanks!
Haven't had Powers, but he is the former Dean of the law school and I have heard he is outstanding. As for Mullenix, she will be quite the experience. She has students on call for designated cases/concepts and tends to grill students pretty hard - but it will be okay. In the grand scheme of things, being called on is not important. Her exam is a doozy. It will be a straight multiple choice test with 40 questions. Typically, if you get half the questions right, you should be set with an A- or A. Her questions are ridiculously tricky. I got an A- and I would be surprised if I got half the questions right haha. As for Chesney, he is great. He keeps things pretty light in class and is a pleasure to learn from. But he teaches his class in chronological order instead of by section. So it is a lot of jumping back and forth between concepts, which can be good or bad based on what you like.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Peep the new poll y'all.

Also, here are my professors tell me how screwed I am:

Property- Sturley
Torts- Mr...... Anderson 8)
Civ Pro- Albright
LRW- Bridges

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:33 pm

Hope you like future interests...

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:45 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:Peep the new poll y'all.

Property- Sturley
Civ Pro- Albright
LRW- Bridges

re: the poll - All / any of the above.

To my knowledge the closest source of caffeine is to hike to the LBJ school. Anyone know of anywhere closer?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:

Property- Sturley
Civ Pro- Albright
LRW- Bridges
Bridges is good, but I can't think of any tricks to help you do well. She's pretty straightforward. Anderson runs a fun class, but it's pretty much useless, and there's no reason to attend except to enjoy his mannerisms/comments. Get a good outline, do the readings, and you'll be fine. The other nice thing is that his final will not take anywhere close to the full time allotted.
I had Albright. She is amazing! Her class is straight from PowerPoints, which can be boring at times, but her class is designed to NOT stress you out during 1L. Do NOT knock yourself out by taking crazy notes in class. You got lucky and her curve is nice relative to other CivPro professors. Really put forth a good effort for your PJ paper. It can seem pointless (only 15%), but it can separate people going into the Final.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:23 am

BasilHallward wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Property- Sturley
Civ Pro- Albright
LRW- Bridges
Bridges is good, but I can't think of any tricks to help you do well. She's pretty straightforward. Anderson runs a fun class, but it's pretty much useless, and there's no reason to attend except to enjoy his mannerisms/comments. Get a good outline, do the readings, and you'll be fine. The other nice thing is that his final will not take anywhere close to the full time allotted.
I had Albright. She is amazing! Her class is straight from PowerPoints, which can be boring at times, but her class is designed to NOT stress you out during 1L. Do NOT knock yourself out by taking crazy notes in class. You got lucky and her curve is nice relative to other CivPro professors. Really put forth a good effort for your PJ paper. It can seem pointless (only 15%), but it can separate people going into the Final.
Thanks, y'all! Appreciate the help.

oidsedidy

New

Post by oidsedidy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:35 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:

Property- Sturley
Civ Pro- Albright
LRW- Bridges
I think the key to Anderson's class is really nothing more than memorizing the notes from the casebook. It's possible to do well without taking the maximum amount of time on his final, but the highest grades went to those who took the full time allotted.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:33 pm

Anybody know of a good supplement for the Robertson, Powers, Anderson and Wellborn Torts casebook?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:37 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:Anybody know of a good supplement for the Robertson, Powers, Anderson and Wellborn Torts casebook?
Think I used an 18-page one provided by my mentor.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:13 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:Anybody know of a good supplement for the Robertson, Powers, Anderson and Wellborn Torts casebook?
Oh nice, I think I actually have that pdf lying around somewhere. Are there any published supplements that you're aware of?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:34 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Oh nice, I think I actually have that pdf lying around somewhere. Are there any published supplements that you're aware of?
Sorry, I misread and thought you were talking about an outline. Don't know about supplements and don't recommend them.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:30 pm

Yeah I wouldn't trust Torts supplements, since each professor is going to have different opinions and teach different things. Find an outline tailored to your professor, that's gonna be your best best for help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:13 am

Awesome! I appreciate the help, y'all.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:03 pm

Which one of the 4 Horsemen is your torts prof this semester?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:Which one of the 4 Horsemen is your torts prof this semester?
Post stalking tells me it's Anderson

(BirdLaw let me know if you want me to edit this out)

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:25 pm

Late to the party but can attest to the fact that memorizing the notes in the casebook for Anderson's class will lead to success. Made a flashcard for each note, got the Dean's award.

I would share my outline but my law school computer died a sad, fiery death about a month ago. I do have an incomplete version (about 50% done, but contains lots of just scribble scrabble and things I need to outline, etc.). Also I had him in 2012, so been a few years. But if you want it, send me a PM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:38 pm

emkay625 wrote:Late to the party but can attest to the fact that memorizing the notes in the casebook for Anderson's class will lead to success. Made a flashcard for each note, got the Dean's award.

I would share my outline but my law school computer died a sad, fiery death about a month ago. I do have an incomplete version (about 50% done, but contains lots of just scribble scrabble and things I need to outline, etc.). Also I had him in 2012, so been a few years. But if you want it, send me a PM.
Was your complete outline ever shared amongst outline banks, etc.? If so, I might have it, I think I might still have some torts outlines.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Late to the party but can attest to the fact that memorizing the notes in the casebook for Anderson's class will lead to success. Made a flashcard for each note, got the Dean's award.

Was your complete outline ever shared amongst outline banks, etc.? If so, I might have it, I think I might still have some torts outlines.
It unfortunately was not. I kept procrastinating about scrubbing it and my other 1L outlines (my outlines typically have things like "DONT FUCK UP AND FORGET TO MAKE XYZ POLICY ARGUMENT" etc.). I kept meaning to make them pretty/suitable for general consumption, but then never got around to it. Then was going to do it during bar summer but of course that didn't happen. And then my laptop went kablooey.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 am

people my people how you been? how are your professors?

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:29 pm

also new poll

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”