Texas Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What are you doing this summer?

Judicial Internship
11%
Public Interest
11%
In-House
No votes
Big Law
47%
Medium Law
5%
Small Law
No votes
Government
11%
Split (tell us about it!)
5%
I have no idea someone please hire me please I just need to work
11%

Total votes: 19

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Re: Texas Law Class of 2019

Post by FairchildFLT » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Is anyone as excited for flag football as I am?

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:58 pm

I don't know about flag football but peep the new poll, y'all.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:11 am

I'm excited for flag football and the entire society structure. In the living as close as possible crew.

travel93

New

Post by travel93 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:14 pm

When can we be placed on the waitlist for parking at San Jacinto for the academic year? I already purchased a summer parking pass

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:22 pm

The Central Texas drought is over and Austin looks good again (before-and-after pictures)

http://projects.statesman.com/news/lake-travis-levels/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:15 pm

Anyone pick up their season tickets yet?

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:42 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:Anyone pick up their season tickets yet?

Yessir. Someone on the Facebook group set up a seating group for 1Ls if you're interested.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:32 pm

BigTex wrote:

Yessir. Someone on the Facebook group set up a seating group for 1Ls if you're interested.
:lol:

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:18 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
BigTex wrote:

:lol:

I'm BigTex and I approve this message

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mickelsr

New

Post by mickelsr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi all. I got a call from UT on Friday, out of the blue, that I'd been accepted off the wait list, which was unexpected both because I hadn't been in contact with UT for months, and because I'd more or less forgotten that I was on their WL. I've accepted a very generous offer at WUSTL, but now that Texas is in play I'd definitely prefer to be in Austin. I'm willing to pay a premium for UT, but OOS sticker just isn't going to work. Haven't received any financial aid info yet, and I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some advice for what I should do - wait for them to contact me, send financial aid an email inquiring about when I might hear from them, or just preemptively send off my WUSTL offer. I'm worried about timing both because my UT deposit is due a week from today, and because I had been planning on traveling to St. Louis this coming weekend to make housing arrangements. Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Thanks!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:33 pm

mickelsr wrote:Hi all. I got a call from UT on Friday, out of the blue, that I'd been accepted off the wait list, which was unexpected both because I hadn't been in contact with UT for months, and because I'd more or less forgotten that I was on their WL. I've accepted a very generous offer at WUSTL, but now that Texas is in play I'd definitely prefer to be in Austin. I'm willing to pay a premium for UT, but OOS sticker just isn't going to work. Haven't received any financial aid info yet, and I'm wondering if anyone here can give me some advice for what I should do - wait for them to contact me, send financial aid an email inquiring about when I might hear from them, or just preemptively send off my WUSTL offer. I'm worried about timing both because my UT deposit is due a week from today, and because I had been planning on traveling to St. Louis this coming weekend to make housing arrangements. Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Thanks!
Congrats! Your stats make you competitive for the waiver. Did the caller mention anything about a scholarship? You will likely hear back an initial denial, then have an opportunity to submit your other offers and get a one-time adjustment. At least that is how it worked earlier in the cycle, it might be truncated now.

If the deposit is due in a week (and they are not willing to delay it due to the very brief window of time you have had to consider the school) you are probably best off giving admissions a call and let them know you are seriously considering the school, but that peer schools have offered you significant aid. You may have to deposit first and negotiate later, but I have heard of people who were able to negotiate even after they submitted their letter of intent in past years, so I wouldn't assume it's off the table now.

I have also heard of other OOS people this year who would normally be competitive for a waiver, but because (I assume) UT admitted too many OOS people they couldn't shell out more waivers in fear of matriculating more than 35% OOS people. So I would contact them asap.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:46 pm

travel93 wrote:When can we be placed on the waitlist for parking at San Jacinto for the academic year? I already purchased a summer parking pass
You don't have to get on the waitlist if you already have a summer pass; they just send you an email telling you that you can buy a Fall semester or Annual pass. The email comes before general sales open, so you don't have to rush. I'll try to find my receipt from my pre-1L summer to get the exact date, but I think it's in the second week of August or so.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Also I highly recommend y'all go post that you're committed to UT in the Destinations Thread that's stickied in the c/o 19 forum. Right now the only top school with fewer commits than us is Stanford, and that makes me sad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ssal

New

Post by ssal » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Hey y'all - I graduated from UT Law in 2010 and have been renting my condo out to law students since then. It'll be up for rent again this year starting August 15, 2016. One bedroom/one bath at the condo complex at 910 Duncan Lane.

About 0.5 miles from the law school - I walked to school most days. The place was completely remodeled in 2007 and is quite comfortable. Washer/dryer is on the same floor as the unit. There's a pool and the complex is gated. Yearly lease but the last two tenants were there for the full three years they were in law school.

Please reach out to salilg06@gmail.com for more information about renting this condo. Thanks.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:56 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
travel93 wrote:When can we be placed on the waitlist for parking at San Jacinto for the academic year? I already purchased a summer parking pass
You don't have to get on the waitlist if you already have a summer pass; they just send you an email telling you that you can buy a Fall semester or Annual pass. The email comes before general sales open, so you don't have to rush. I'll try to find my receipt from my pre-1L summer to get the exact date, but I think it's in the second week of August or so.
Guess it was earlier than I thought - this was the renewal notice from the summer of 2014:

"Parking and Transportation Services is pleased to announce the start of the renewal period for 2014-2015 S permits. The S renewal period will continue through Friday, July 25, 2014.

S PERMIT RENEWAL
You may renew your current Annual or Summer S permit online by going to your parking profile at https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/pts/parking/car/. The renewal deadline is Friday, July 25, 2014. If you have questions regarding the online renewal system, please email the PTS office at parking@www.utexas.edu or call 512-471-PARK (7275). When emailing, please provide your UTEID.

After completing your renewal application, you should receive your 2014-2015 Annual or Fall S permit at the address of your choice in early August. The permit can be displayed and used upon receipt."

travel93

New

Post by travel93 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Guess it was earlier than I thought - this was the renewal notice from the summer of 2014:

"Parking and Transportation Services is pleased to announce the start of the renewal period for 2014-2015 S permits. The S renewal period will continue through Friday, July 25, 2014.

S PERMIT RENEWAL
You may renew your current Annual or Summer S permit online by going to your parking profile at https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/pts/parking/car/. The renewal deadline is Friday, July 25, 2014. If you have questions regarding the online renewal system, please email the PTS office at parking@www.utexas.edu or call 512-471-PARK (7275). When emailing, please provide your UTEID.

After completing your renewal application, you should receive your 2014-2015 Annual or Fall S permit at the address of your choice in early August. The permit can be displayed and used upon receipt."
Perfect! I really appreciate it!

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:38 pm

How bad of an idea is a C+ parking pass? Is saving $400+ worth it?

If San Jac permits are sold out, would Manor Garage be the next-best?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:49 pm

BigTex wrote:How bad of an idea is a C+ parking pass? Is saving $400+ worth it?
How bad of an idea is not getting a parking pass at all and relying on the bus system and my bike? Parking at UT is a nightmare, and that's after fighting through Austin traffic to get there, I feel like the mental health benefits of not dealing with that have to be considerable haha.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:58 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
How bad of an idea is not getting a parking pass at all and relying on the bus system and my bike? Parking at UT is a nightmare, and that's after fighting through Austin traffic to get there, I feel like the mental health benefits of not dealing with that have to be considerable haha.
We do get free rides on the bus with our student ID.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:05 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Bus is definitely an option. I don't trust my bike riding / survival skills enough to ride on any major road in Austin.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:28 pm

BigTex wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Bus is definitely an option. I don't trust my bike riding / survival skills enough to ride on any major road in Austin.
All the roads have dedicated bike lanes, no sweat. Austin is super bike-friendly.

I mean, if you're bike-curious I wholeheartedly encourage you to check it out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Olliedemars

New

Post by Olliedemars » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:58 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
There are a few nice bus lines that go to UT (nice = most passengers don't smell like alcohol at 8 am or give you the impulse to scroll through 'America's Most Wanted' website, juuuust to check). However, if you're going to depend on busses for any length of time, do your research on bus lines and plan your housing location accordingly. Despite being a 'hippie town,' Austin is very much a car city, and its public transit system reflects that--it's pretty anemic.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Olliedemars wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
There are a few nice bus lines that go to UT (nice = most passengers don't smell like alcohol at 8 am or give you the impulse to scroll through 'America's Most Wanted' website, juuuust to check). However, if you're going to depend on busses for any length of time, do your research on bus lines and plan your housing location accordingly. Despite being a 'hippie town,' Austin is very much a car city, and its public transit system reflects that--it's pretty anemic.
Oh yeah, for sure, I plan on staying on campus bus routes rather than the city buses. Austin is the least "car city" and by leaps and bounds the most bike-friendly metropolis we have in Texas, but it's still definitely got the sprawl.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:13 am

Just a quick reminder that this is the last week you can buy the Big Ticket and be guaranteed a spot in the 1L seating group for football games. :!:

A@M_or_bust

Bronze

Post by A@M_or_bust » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:28 pm

If San Jac permits are sold out, would Manor Garage be the next-best?

I was happy with my decision to get the C+ pass last year and will get it again in August. It is great if you plan to treat school like a regular workday and get to school by 8:00ish every day. It is only a short walk from the C lot to the law school. And if you occasionally have to show up to school later in the day, street parking on Dean Keeton is not too difficult (in my experience) because there is so much of it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”