Texas Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What are you doing this summer?

Judicial Internship
11%
Public Interest
11%
In-House
No votes
Big Law
47%
Medium Law
5%
Small Law
No votes
Government
11%
Split (tell us about it!)
5%
I have no idea someone please hire me please I just need to work
11%

Total votes: 19

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Texas Law Class of 2019

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:43 pm

It's a great day to be a Longhorn, y'all :D

Last edited by BirdLawExpert on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 15 times in total.

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Texas Law Class of 2019

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Checking in. Rising 2L at UT. I'll be checking in periodically if y'all have any questions/comments/concerns. Best of luck!

allthelove

New

Post by allthelove » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:10 pm

My current top choice - but I still haven't heard anything on scholarships. Am I dooooooomed?! :shock:

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:23 am

allthelove wrote:My current top choice - but I still haven't heard anything on scholarships. Am I dooooooomed?! :shock:
My current top choice as well.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:28 pm

allthelove wrote:My current top choice - but I still haven't heard anything on scholarships. Am I dooooooomed?! :shock:
You haven't figured it out yet? Friend, we are all doomed in one way or the other.

Anyway, I doubt you're doomed on the scholarship front. They just started sending awards, what, last week?

I'm very intrigued by this smaller class size thing. Is this a final push to up the medians to take out Georgetown? This also might explain the scholarship weirdness, since a smaller class means fewer sticker paying students to offset full scholarships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:38 pm

fliptrip wrote:
You haven't figured it out yet? Friend, we are all doomed in one way or the other.

Anyway, I doubt you're doomed on the scholarship front. They just started sending awards, what, last week?

I'm very intrigued by this smaller class size thing. Is this a final push to up the medians to take out Georgetown? This also might explain the scholarship weirdness, since a smaller class means fewer sticker paying students to offset full scholarships?

It's almost certainly a move to either break or redefine the T-14 mentality. The scholarship weirdness that accompanies it seems counterintuitive, though, I know me and some other admits with decent numbers got pretty low initial offers. I expect that negotiations and reconsideration will change that, but if they're trying to buy high numbers they're going about it in an odd way.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:02 pm

Yeah, we are definitely fighting blind on what their current scholarship awarding strategy is. You could see it at least two ways--either they are trying a tried and true negotiating tactic--low-ball to find the suckers who don't know their value or they legitimately have less money. I have to confess that I find all of this fascinating, while at the same time I realize how stressful this is to folks whose lives are literally depending on the outcomes here.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:46 am

Anyone going to the admitted students reception in Houston tonight? Or the ASD next week?

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 am

fliptrip wrote:Yeah, we are definitely fighting blind on what their current scholarship awarding strategy is. You could see it at least two ways--either they are trying a tried and true negotiating tactic--low-ball to find the suckers who don't know their value or they legitimately have less money. I have to confess that I find all of this fascinating, while at the same time I realize how stressful this is to folks whose lives are literally depending on the outcomes here.
I'm almost certain they're just low-balling, given that the few people I know at UT Law are there on generous scholarship at UT itself has a disgustingly large endowment. It's certainly an interesting strategy given their tenuous position on the edge of the T-14, I wonder if they might lose many of the high-scorers they seem to be courting to peer schools that brought the house scholarship-wise. I kind of feel the same way in terms of finding this all way too interesting considering it's something that directly affects my future. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blackmooncreeping

Bronze

Post by blackmooncreeping » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:13 am

I'm a 2015 grad working in Houston now. I'll check in to answer questions y'all have as well.

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Submitted the questionnaire/survey thing for a travel stipend a few days ago, still haven't heard back. Probably won't be able to make the ASD since it's so soon/I'm running out of vacation days, but maybe if prices allow I can visit that weekend :D

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:51 pm

I guess I should stop posting in the applicants thread and start posting here. I was accepted last year, deferred due to family emergency, and will be attending this year. I live in Round Rock and it takes me 25 minutes to drive to campus.

Who all is attending ASD?

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:35 am

FairchildFLT wrote:I guess I should stop posting in the applicants thread and start posting here. I was accepted last year, deferred due to family emergency, and will be attending this year. I live in Round Rock and it takes me 25 minutes to drive to campus.

Who all is attending ASD?
I'Il be there. First visit to the great state of Texas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Uhh UT is going to have open carry starting next year? .... :shock:

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Lucyfur wrote:Uhh UT is going to have open carry starting next year? .... :shock:
The Dean made a joke about this last night at the Houston reception, actually.

"Guns would have to be concealed, and most of our law students don't wear enough clothes to conceal a weapon of any sort." (paraphrased)

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:19 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:Uhh UT is going to have open carry starting next year? .... :shock:

"Guns would have to be concealed, and most of our law students don't wear enough clothes to conceal a weapon of any sort." (paraphrased)
lol, am I ready for Texas?

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:

I went to a party school for undergrad, UT isn't that bad. It's a pretty relaxed culture all around campus and from what I can tell that extends, at least in some way, to the law school (UT students feel free to tell me I'm completely wrong).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:14 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:

I went to a party school for undergrad, UT isn't that bad. It's a pretty relaxed culture all around campus and from what I can tell that extends, at least in some way, to the law school (UT students feel free to tell me I'm completely wrong).
Yeah, not worried about that so much. It seems UT is pretty similar to my undergrad, from the relaxed culture to the students wearing nothing lol. The gun thing will be a culture shock, though.

Perhaps the food will make up for it :lol: Got a travel stipend so will probably visit for the April 1st ASD

tappatappatappa

Bronze

Post by tappatappatappa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tappatappatappa on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Is anyone thinking of going to the half day on April 1st and stayiing that weekend?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:51 pm

I'm not sure if anyone's started looking into housing or anything like that but I've lived in Austin for going on 7 years now (undergrad + full-time work). If anyone has any questions about Austin or housing or specific complexes or anything else that they need answered I can help with that.

Also, this is a snarky and hip yet pretty accurate guide to Austin: http://www.vice.com/read/welcome-to-aus ... cityguides

I couldn't make the ASW this past week due to work but I'd love to hear about what those of you who could make it thought!

alice1990

New

Post by alice1990 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Lucyfur wrote:Is anyone thinking of going to the half day on April 1st and stayiing that weekend?
I am considering it! I don't want to waste the travel $ they offered, on the other hand ticket prices waayyy exceed the grant.

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships after that first wave in mid February? I'm starting to worry :?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:41 pm

alice1990 wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:Is anyone thinking of going to the half day on April 1st and stayiing that weekend?
I am considering it! I don't want to waste the travel $ they offered, on the other hand ticket prices waayyy exceed the grant.
Agreed. Technically we can use the stipend for any weekend of travel, but my schedule is filling up, and AUS flights are expensive!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:01 pm

TxEx13 wrote: I couldn't make the ASW this past week due to work but I'd love to hear about what those of you who could make it thought!
I literally can not think of a single thing they could have done better. The panels which described the faculty selection criteria including both fantastic scholarship and genuine love for teaching, the discussion of how the class size has been cut in half in recent years without a similar decrease in resources, the employment roundtable where they described in detail the excellent employment numbers we all should know, the engaging mock class with Professor Strong (on Queen v. Dudley & Stevens), the student acapella group performing during the luncheon, the tasty Mexican vanilla ice cream at the social, the story of Dean Farnsworth (the steer, not the scholar) etc, etc.

Here's what sold me, though--The People. We had a chance to interact with current students. Not the ones paid to talk to us, I mean the unbiased kids we saw walking to class or playing pool in the lounge or drinking brews at the local establishments. All those students were beyond friendly, smiling, willing to answer our questions, and unquestionable happy with their decision to attend Texas Law. Perhaps more importantly, I had the chance to meet and speak with probably 90% of the fellow admitted students. There were a couple of gunners and an akward kid or too, but hey those are necessary ingredients in the stew of law school. The point, however, is that, overall, I'm super impressed with the incoming class. If anyone here was Greek, you will know how important vibing with the other incoming students is. Those are the people you will spending all your time with.

After visiting I switched poll options from 75% to 90% and, I believe, it's all over but the negotation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”