Texas Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What are you doing this summer?

Judicial Internship
11%
Public Interest
11%
In-House
No votes
Big Law
47%
Medium Law
5%
Small Law
No votes
Government
11%
Split (tell us about it!)
5%
I have no idea someone please hire me please I just need to work
11%

Total votes: 19

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Re: Texas Law Class of 2019

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:02 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote: That Taco Cabana recently shuttered for good lol.
Why must everything I love be destroyed.

gunners94

New

Post by gunners94 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:33 am

periwinkley wrote:
invgr8 wrote:I successfully renegotiated a significant scholarship, I sent my seat deposit yesterday, and began to withdraw from all the other law schools.

Texas is the school for me. Hook em horns!
gunners94 wrote:Also negotiated for a larger scholarship and submitted by seat deposit. See y'all in Austin this fall!
If you two don't mind me asking, what did you put in the "statement regarding reconsideration request?" I'm filling out mine now and looking to see what's worked for others. Feel free to PM :)
Sorry for taking so long to respond! I suck at checking TLS. I submitted mine the day after I received my initial scholarship offer ($0, but I'm in-state). I just included my top 4 offers to similarly ranked schools as well as explained my personal and academic reasons for wanting to attend UT. Good luck!

tizzy2728

New

Post by tizzy2728 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:05 pm

What did y'all think of the last ASD? I really wanted to fall in love with Texas Law but I wasn't blown away. Maybe it was the rainy weather, but the buildings seemed so dated and dark, I didn't find the class as engaging as some of the others I've been to, and I found a couple of the admitted students sort of off-putting. I'm in no way basing my decision on any of these things, but its hard to shake the feeling that it was a little disappointing. Anyone else feel this way at all?

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:09 pm

1L here. It was a rainy day, and yes, the buildings are old and dreary. That's why I never study on campus. As for the people, I love my section and the people. Meeting people at ASD is entirely different. There seems to be more unintentional posturing going on and formality, as to try and impress faculty/staff. Base you decision off the numbers and your career aspirations. UT has been a qualified good choice for me thus far

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:31 pm

tizzy2728 wrote:What did y'all think of the last ASD? I really wanted to fall in love with Texas Law but I wasn't blown away. Maybe it was the rainy weather, but the buildings seemed so dated and dark, I didn't find the class as engaging as some of the others I've been to, and I found a couple of the admitted students sort of off-putting. I'm in no way basing my decision on any of these things, but its hard to shake the feeling that it was a little disappointing. Anyone else feel this way at all?
YES, I thought I was alone but I also talked to someone else that felt the same way. I really wanted to like UT, and thought I would, but I was just not feeling it at all. I didn't find other students off-putting really, but they didn't seem as happy or friendly as admitted students at other schools I visited. It was just the ASD overall that put me off. At this point, all the schools I'm seriously considering are so close in rank and cost that ASDs are really my deciding factor. And UT just didn't do it for me. I was also very underwhelmed by the food in the area, especially compared to the areas surrounding the other schools I'm considering. Plus some other reservations, lol.

Overall enjoyed Austin and would love to go again. Just didn't feel UT and probably wouldn't want to live in Austin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tizzy2728

New

Post by tizzy2728 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:57 pm

I'm glad I wasn't the only one! There were definitely aspects of the visit that impressed me but overall I felt "meh." Although I'm in a pretty different situation from you in that UT is by far my highest ranked option. So I'm feeling a little bratty/insane for potentially passing based on vibe.

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:32 pm

tizzy2728 wrote:I'm glad I wasn't the only one! There were definitely aspects of the visit that impressed me but overall I felt "meh." Although I'm in a pretty different situation from you in that UT is by far my highest ranked option. So I'm feeling a little bratty/insane for potentially passing based on vibe.
Yeah, if I were in your situation I wouldn't take it into account as much. It's a fine school and I'm sure I'd be happy there if I went, but I think I'd be much happier at one of the other two schools I'm considering. In your situation, my decision would be more concerned with the tradeoff between rank/employment and cost.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:48 pm

Lucyfur wrote:
tizzy2728 wrote:I'm glad I wasn't the only one! There were definitely aspects of the visit that impressed me but overall I felt "meh." Although I'm in a pretty different situation from you in that UT is by far my highest ranked option. So I'm feeling a little bratty/insane for potentially passing based on vibe.
Yeah, if I were in your situation I wouldn't take it into account as much. It's a fine school and I'm sure I'd be happy there if I went, but I think I'd be much happier at one of the other two schools I'm considering. In your situation, my decision would be more concerned with the tradeoff between rank/employment and cost.
I'd definitely be more concerned with the bolded. ASDs are hit and miss. SMU's was my favorite, but I couldn't ignore the writing on the wall. Keep in mind that UT is public and their endowment is weak. Private schools can afford to wine and dine, if that was a source of your sub-par experience. If it's by far your highest-ranked option and it's in-state $ with some scholarship, your in good shape overall.

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:59 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
I'd definitely be more concerned with the bolded. ASDs are hit and miss. SMU's was my favorite, but I couldn't ignore the writing on the wall. Keep in mind that UT is public and their endowment is weak. Private schools can afford to wine and dine, if that was a source of your sub-par experience. If it's by far your highest-ranked option and it's in-state $ with some scholarship, your in good shape overall.
Personally, I was between UT, Vandy and UCLA. All will cost the about the same for me and all are right next to each other in rankings and pretty comparable in other aspects. Though UT is the highest-ranked of the three, I don't think I'm giving up much by going down one or two notches. In tizzy's case though, I would definitely choose UT if they gave him/her at least some money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:00 pm

I wouldn't put much (if any) stock in ASWs. UTs was definitely the weakest of the one's I attended and I wasn't very impressed either, but it was the best option for me so I enrolled. It has been great.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:I wouldn't put much (if any) stock in ASWs. UTs was definitely the weakest of the one's I attended and I wasn't very impressed either, but it was the best option for me so I enrolled. It has been great.
Ditto to all of this.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:13 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
In 2000, they had the 9th highest endowment of any law school in the country. That put them just ahead of UVA, NU, USC, etc. Did something major happen since?

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... _scho.html

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:18 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
(As of 2006) they seem to have the 9th highest endowment of any law school in the country. That puts them just ahead of UVA, NU, USC, etc.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... _scho.html
Also important to consider per-student endowment. Not sure if that would make a significant impact on UT's standing, but I think it matters just as much as the total figure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:26 pm

We are not seeing any of that at the law school, believe me. The infrastructure and technology is all old as hell. This money is going somewhere else. The professors, likely

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:36 pm

BasilHallward wrote:We are not seeing any of that at the law school, believe me. The infrastructure and technology is all old as hell. This money is going somewhere else. The professors, likely
I imagine we see at least a small portion in the form of scholarships.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Important information for all of us considering UT: race cars and T. Swift.

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2016-f1

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:59 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:Important information for all of us considering UT: race cars and T. Swift.

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2016-f1
lol my dad really wants me to go to UT so he has an excuse to go to the US Grand Prix

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Class of 2015 employment stats are up

https://law.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploa ... of2015.pdf

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:59 pm

EDIT: Scholarship Reconsideration Received.

COMING TO TEXAS

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 pm

Got my financial aid award.

UT making it rain on me for some reason this year. I appreciate it!

WaitersIsland

Bronze

Post by WaitersIsland » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:02 pm

How have people been notified of scholarships? I just got an e-mail telling me I have a Financial Aid Notification, so I logged onto the student website and checked my financial aid info. All I saw when I got there was a $1000 non-resident grant and the rest loans. Does this mean I did not receive any merit-based scholarship, or is there still a chance that will be coming later (I was accepted about 12 days ago)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:03 pm

WaitersIsland wrote:How have people been notified of scholarships? I just got an e-mail telling me I have a Financial Aid Notification, so I logged onto the student website and checked my financial aid info. All I saw when I got there was a $1000 non-resident grant and the rest loans. Does this mean I did not receive any merit-based scholarship, or is there still a chance that will be coming later (I was accepted about 12 days ago)?
I'd let you know, but I forgot the password to my UT EID and one of my security questions is dumb as hell :lol:

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:33 am

WaitersIsland wrote:How have people been notified of scholarships? I just got an e-mail telling me I have a Financial Aid Notification, so I logged onto the student website and checked my financial aid info. All I saw when I got there was a $1000 non-resident grant and the rest loans. Does this mean I did not receive any merit-based scholarship, or is there still a chance that will be coming later (I was accepted about 12 days ago)?
My scholarship info shows up under "Summary of Resources". There's an entry for Self-Reported Scholarships (merit aid awarded by UT) and Tuition Assistance (aid to offset out-of-state tuition since I was awarded in-state tuition). Also had a random $1000 grant under "Summary of Offered Awards"

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:32 am

Lucyfur wrote:
My scholarship info shows up under "Summary of Resources". There's an entry for Self-Reported Scholarships (merit aid awarded by UT) and Tuition Assistance (aid to offset out-of-state tuition since I was awarded in-state tuition). Also had a random $1000 grant under "Summary of Offered Awards"
According to the website, under the "My Financial Aid" section, I received three need-based $750 grants awarded on a per semester basis.
Texas Public Education Grant-Initial Graduate
Texas Public Education Grant-Law Resident Initial
University Tuition Grant - Initial Graduate
My scholarship is listed under "Summary of Resources" just like Lucyfur's.

If you don't have a scholarship listed, I'm unsure as to what that means. It seems like they sent all of these out in one batch, so it could be that the scholarship committee simply hasn't reviewed your file yet.

tappatappatappa

Bronze

Post by tappatappatappa » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:57 am

Post removed...
Last edited by tappatappatappa on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”