NYU Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

ORIENTATION

im going ham on the free food
33%
ive been studying nonstop
7%
a l c o h o l
53%
orien-what?
7%

Total votes: 15

newrad

New

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Post by newrad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Could people who just received aid post their acceptance dates?

rska884

Silver

Post by rska884 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:56 pm

newrad wrote:Could people who just received aid post their acceptance dates?
I was in (I think) the second wave.

burtsbeesfanatic

New

Post by burtsbeesfanatic » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:12 pm

I want to say around 12/15.

AnonymousPython

New

Post by AnonymousPython » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:14 pm

2/2

beckett

New

Post by beckett » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:15 pm

2/16

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Also 2/16 here

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:34 pm

12/10, if I recall correctly

newrad

New

Post by newrad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks y'all. I was accepted late January and haven't heard anything. Any suggestions on what to do? Already submitted Need Access.

madoodle16

New

Post by madoodle16 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Also got into NYU on 2/16 and submitted Financial Aid forms on the 17th

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legally_brunette20

New

Post by legally_brunette20 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 am

For financial aid, there weren't any additional forms we had to fill out, correct? Just Needs Access and FAFSA? I ask because Duke had a separate form as well and I'm wondering if I missed something...

jtg21

Bronze

Post by jtg21 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:57 am

legally_brunette20 wrote:For financial aid, there weren't any additional forms we had to fill out, correct? Just Needs Access and FAFSA? I ask because Duke had a separate form as well and I'm wondering if I missed something...
Nope, just those two for NYU!

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Hey folks, 2L RTK here. Caught a few minute breather so I figured I'd respond to a few PMs I received asking me to give some insight on the RTK interview process.

*Disclaimer: YMMV, this is based on my experience, what I've heard from others, and my 1.5 cycles of being Sel Comm. Also, this advice SHOULD NOT be relied upon for the Latino Human Rights Scholarship, IILJ, Furman Public Policy, Furman Academic, or any other NYU Law interview.*

The applications are read twice, sometimes three times (tie breaks) before invitations are made. This means we already have a very robust knowledge of your written materials (scores, grades, statements, CV, etc.). At this point, if you HAVE an invitation, we already think you can be in this program based purely on what you submitted. Think of this as being similar to a team's scouts saying a certain player has the right athleticism and stats to be drafted.

The interview, to continue that analogy, is basically a 'tryout' to see if you are a good fit for the Major League. The interview is about how we feel about you, the subjective X-Factor, how your passion is vocalized from your statement to your personal words and demeanour. The interview is so crucial, because each RTK class is hand picked by the previous classes and the administrations public interest officials, as well as RTK affiliates (alum, donors, judges). We know what you love, and why, we want to know HOW you think, how you work through issues you faced, what your view of your role and the community you wish to serve. We also want to pick your brain about how you see yourself and your role changing in light of how your community or your stated interest is changing--for example, we want to know what you might feel about movement building and grassroots change if you say you're into criminal justice reform. We may want to know what you think of international treaties if you say you're into environmental law, etc.

The interview consists of alum, current 3Ls (very rarely 2Ls), judges, professors. It is a panel of 6, roundtable style.

Tips

- Think of it like a board room meeting. You're the CEO, and your most trusted advisors and investors and shareholder reps and union reps have come here to hear your proposal on a massive 3 year, 200K budget project. You aren't being grilled---they genuinely want you to succeed but they are curious to understand your project, how you came to that idea, how you see it growing, and what plans you have to keep it going.
- Aim to converse, not to inform.
- KNOW your panelists. You get their names and backgrounds but do more research. I looked for videos of each of my panelists to see how they speak, what they sound like, the tone of their voice, their facial expressions. Sounds intense, yes. The reason why I did that is so that I could understand what it would feel like to be in conversation with them, so I would have less of a chance of being thrown off by some quirk (e.g. some people frown when they are really into what you're saying--if you didn't know that about them, it might make you think they disagree when in fact they are engrossed in your story!). Don't 'know' your panelists so you can feed them what they already believe. We're way too experienced to be tricked by that.
- If you only have one good story to tell, then tell that story. Don't try to focus on something that isn't core to your being.
- Be anecdotal. Use questions to tell stories or anecdotes from your life. I used one question to relate to a lecture we just heard at ASW, and then connected it to an experience I had in India working with an NGO.
- Finally, remember that everyone here respects you. What they want, is to feel connected to you, and to feel that your colleagues in the program will also connect with you. People are respected because they have good ideas. People feel connected to others because they feel that they can generate ideas with them. That's the distinction we look for.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Are there others who applied for a named scholarship but have not heard back yet either way and have also not received any info re: general unnamed $$? Dying a little bit each day out here

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tweedledee

New

Post by tweedledee » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:31 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:Are there others who applied for a named scholarship but have not heard back yet either way and have also not received any info re: general unnamed $$? Dying a little bit each day out here
In the exact same boat! My days at work have completely degenerated to me constantly refreshing my email and making sure my cell phone is in service. I was accepted 12/1, so I'm not sure what they're waiting for!

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:00 pm

--
Last edited by SamuelDanforth on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:04 pm

I didn't apply for any named scholarships and I still haven't gotten anything. Anyone else in the same boat?

newrad

New

Post by newrad » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:I didn't apply for any named scholarships and I still haven't gotten anything. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yes

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mabes

New

Post by mabes » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:11 pm

SamuelDanforth wrote:There seems to be the assumption that people in the running for named scholarships won't receive fin aid data until after the selection process concludes.
not an assumption, confirmed by Fin Aid office

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:19 pm

newrad wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:I didn't apply for any named scholarships and I still haven't gotten anything. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yes
Well, hopefully this means that we're both so wonderful that they're busy discussing how large of an amount to give us. :D

frasier

Bronze

Post by frasier » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:20 pm

How soon after notification of admission are you notified if you're in the running for any named scholarships, or is that simultaneous?

The admission officer I spoke with yesterday noted that the financial aid office should be in contact with further instructions, but I have not heard from them yet. I understand that it has only been 24 hrs, but I want to check with you all to see if there is anything meaningful to read in the administrative smoke signals.

FWIW I just submitted FAFSA and Needaccess today.

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Does anyone have any experience negotiating scholarship money with NYU? How far down the T14 do you think they would be willing to negotiate with in terms of scholarship money? NYU is definitely one of my top choices, but the scholarship I received was not as much as I had hoped.

Thank you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beckett

New

Post by beckett » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:43 pm

matterhorn wrote:Does anyone have any experience negotiating scholarship money with NYU? How far down the T14 do you think they would be willing to negotiate with in terms of scholarship money? NYU is definitely one of my top choices, but the scholarship I received was not as much as I had hoped.

Thank you!
I read through a couple previous years threads and while NYU WILL negotiate, I would not necessarily get your hopes up, and here's why: There are accounts of NYU refusing to give ANY aid to someone that had a Dillard at UVA and 100k at Cornell. Previous threads seemed to have to come to the conclusion that while NYU is willing to negotiate and raise their initial offer for what they consider peer schools, they have a.... fairly narrow definition for what they consider a peer school. I know they refused to match Chicago for one person, but they did raise their offer. Some people had their offered raised by only 12k.

Of course, this is all anecdotal from past years so make your own judgement call. There are also accounts of people being aggressive with negotiating and coming out with a generous offer from NYU. I definitely think you should still try to negotiate. The worst they can say is no, right? Hope this helps! Also would love to hear anyone else's opinions on this.

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:49 pm

beckett wrote:I read through a couple previous years threads and while NYU WILL negotiate, I would not necessarily get your hopes up, and here's why: There are accounts of NYU refusing to give ANY aid to someone that had a Dillard at UVA and 100k at Cornell. Previous threads seemed to have to come to the conclusion that while NYU is willing to negotiate and raise their initial offer for what they consider peer schools, they have a.... fairly narrow definition for what they consider a peer school. I know they refused to match Chicago for one person, but they did raise their offer. Some people had their offered raised by only 12k.

Of course, this is all anecdotal from past years so make your own judgement call. There are also accounts of people being aggressive with negotiating and coming out with a generous offer from NYU. I definitely think you should still try to negotiate. The worst they can say is no, right? Hope this helps! Also would love to hear anyone else's opinions on this.
Wow..They wouldn't even budge with someone who received a Dillard?? That certainly doesn't sound promising. Do you think they only consider HYSCC as peer schools? Thanks for the response! I guess it wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email.

beckett

New

Post by beckett » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:53 pm

matterhorn wrote:
beckett wrote:I read through a couple previous years threads and while NYU WILL negotiate, I would not necessarily get your hopes up, and here's why: There are accounts of NYU refusing to give ANY aid to someone that had a Dillard at UVA and 100k at Cornell. Previous threads seemed to have to come to the conclusion that while NYU is willing to negotiate and raise their initial offer for what they consider peer schools, they have a.... fairly narrow definition for what they consider a peer school. I know they refused to match Chicago for one person, but they did raise their offer. Some people had their offered raised by only 12k.

Wow..They wouldn't even budge with someone who received a Dillard?? That certainly doesn't sound promising. Do you think they only consider HYSCC as peer schools? Thanks for the response! I guess it wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email.
That's just one example I ran across and I think it was on the more extreme side. I do think, however, that the people who were posting specific numbers were also the people who were unhappy with their offer and were withdrawing (at least, the was the impression I got).

mosesboeba

New

Post by mosesboeba » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:55 pm

for those going to asw this weekend: i want to wear purple clothes (shirt, sock, etc.) but i heard in new york that's a big no-no. i definitely do not want to make bad impressions b/c of fashion. thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”