Vanderbilt Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Which section are you in?

A
28%
B
28%
C
44%

Total votes: 18

Scalvert

Silver

Re: Vanderbilt Law Class of 2019

Post by Scalvert » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:52 pm

do_me_a_favor wrote:yeah I'm all in section C now, too. should i assume we are set and can buy books?
Idk. I'm kind of hesitant. Surely they won't switch us again? I'm thinking of waiting until the end of the day or at least until they post writing sections.

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:05 pm

I don't think we'll get switched again. I also got an email saying the parking permit fee is $600.

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:22 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:I don't think we'll get switched again. I also got an email saying the parking permit fee is $600.

I think you're right, just got an email with instructions for ordering books, so I guess we're all set!

Any current students out there who know anything about Wuerth, Rossi and Bressman?

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:42 pm

Scalvert wrote:Any current students out there who know anything about Wuerth, Rossi and Bressman?
arklaw13 wrote:
Also any thoughts on Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro, Allensworth for Contracts, and Bressman, L for Reg State? Reeves for Legal Writing?

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:03 am

The Abyss wrote:
Scalvert wrote:Any current students out there who know anything about Wuerth, Rossi and Bressman?
arklaw13 wrote:
Also any thoughts on Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro, Allensworth for Contracts, and Bressman, L for Reg State? Reeves for Legal Writing?
Which writing section? I have Reeves too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:06 am

Section 8

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:16 am

Does anyone else have an overlap between class times??

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:20 am

SirArthurDayne wrote:Does anyone else have an overlap between class times??
Nope, no overlap for me.

Also, new poll.

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:26 am

The Abyss wrote:Section 8
Section 8 as well.
SirArthurDayne wrote:Does anyone else have an overlap between class times??
I don't, but I was scared for a moment until I realized I was looking at orientation times!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:47 am

yeah, definitely section C for me.
fellow section C'ers, if you feel froggy leap into my PM box. soon, or closer to orientation, whatever. i would enjoy getting a head start with the networking and the solidarity

what do yall think about getting the previous edition of the casebooks? my torts book (pretty sure its my torts book, could be the civ pro book) is like $250

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:16 am

So Wuerth, Bressman (v. bressWOman), and George will all have midterms. None are big enough to where you should be killing yourself over it, but it's the kind of thing you should be taking seriously as you figure out how to take a law school exam.

Sherry and Fitz are notoriously terrifying to have class w/, so just kind of be ready for that and be supportive of people who get shot down. Will be something you can laugh about by the end of 2nd semester. Bresswoman and Wuerth can also be pretty intense when they cold call

Wuerth exams tend to be broader than most typical law exams in terms of coverage, but that's something you will get a sense of as you look at her practice tests. You guys also have no point of reference so :lol:

Bressman and George final will be heavy multiple choice, so good to look at Qs from the book and have done a lot of hypos.

Obviously, and this can't be stressed enough, the most important thing you can do to prepare for a law school test is to actually take a law school test. It baffles me that very smart people walk into a law school exam having only glanced at Q's and a model answer w/o having taken the time to sit and force themselves to write answers out, considering how much time/stress they're putting into it over the course of a semester.

YMMV, if you want to know more about profs 2Ls will be more willing to share more idiosyncratic opinions in person and not on TLS

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Big Red wrote:So Wuerth, Bressman (v. bressWOman), and George will all have midterms. None are big enough to where you should be killing yourself over it, but it's the kind of thing you should be taking seriously as you figure out how to take a law school exam.

Sherry and Fitz are notoriously terrifying to have class w/, so just kind of be ready for that and be supportive of people who get shot down. Will be something you can laugh about by the end of 2nd semester. Bresswoman and Wuerth can also be pretty intense when they cold call

Wuerth exams tend to be broader than most typical law exams in terms of coverage, but that's something you will get a sense of as you look at her practice tests. You guys also have no point of reference so :lol:

Bressman and George final will be heavy multiple choice, so good to look at Qs from the book and have done a lot of hypos.

Obviously, and this can't be stressed enough, the most important thing you can do to prepare for a law school test is to actually take a law school test. It baffles me that very smart people walk into a law school exam having only glanced at Q's and a model answer w/o having taken the time to sit and force themselves to write answers out, considering how much time/stress they're putting into it over the course of a semester.

YMMV, if you want to know more about profs 2Ls will be more willing to share more idiosyncratic opinions in person and not on TLS
Thanks for this! Any thoughts on whether buying an older edition of a book will cut it if a teacher requires the newest edition?

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:43 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:
Big Red wrote:So Wuerth, Bressman (v. bressWOman), and George will all have midterms. None are big enough to where you should be killing yourself over it, but it's the kind of thing you should be taking seriously as you figure out how to take a law school exam.

Thanks for this! Any thoughts on whether buying an older edition of a book will cut it if a teacher requires the newest edition?
Any time a new edition comes out law students end up eating money, can't trade in the old ones and have to buy them new. Even if the old book is essentially the same as the new edition (probably true), the page numbers will almost certainly be different, which will cause issues both out of class and in cold calls.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:43 pm

thanks Big Red. 2L wisdom is like gold, we owe you a beer

i have been meaning to ask this thread: do we have another class coming? ive got ~15hrs, basically 3 classes + LW + life of the law

janderson821

Bronze

Post by janderson821 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:58 pm

do_me_a_favor wrote:thanks Big Red. 2L wisdom is like gold, we owe you a beer

i have been meaning to ask this thread: do we have another class coming? ive got ~15hrs, basically 3 classes + LW + life of the law
I think our schedules are set now and 15 should be a full load!

Do any 2L's have any advice about recommended supplements?

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:04 pm

janderson821 wrote:

14 keeps you plenty busy

So the bread and butter stuff is the E+Es and you don't really need to go far past those. The hypos are especially good b/c they start gearing you toward what a law school exam wants you to do. You can find these in the Lib and don't need to buy them, but you can find them used for not that much if you're willing to reach into a previous edition

Anything passed that is up to you, like people are known to pick up prosser tort and farmsworth K and what not. I would imagine the universe of people who think that was a waste of $ is larger than that where people thought it helped. It might be helpful if you have a test where you're prof wants policy discussion.

janderson821

Bronze

Post by janderson821 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Big Red wrote:
janderson821 wrote:

14 keeps you plenty busy

So the bread and butter stuff is the E+Es and you don't really need to go far past those. The hypos are especially good b/c they start gearing you toward what a law school exam wants you to do. You can find these in the Lib and don't need to buy them, but you can find them used for not that much if you're willing to reach into a previous edition

Anything passed that is up to you, like people are known to pick up prosser tort and farmsworth K and what not. I would imagine the universe of people who think that was a waste of $ is larger than that where people thought it helped. It might be helpful if you have a test where you're prof wants policy discussion.
Thanks! My Civ Pro professor recommended two but I figured I should wait and see what is really necessary/helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlexandraHope

Bronze

Post by AlexandraHope » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Any advice for Seymore and Alexander ?

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:09 pm

That $600 parking permit is making me have second doubts about driving to school :?

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:21 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:That $600 parking permit is making me have second doubts about driving to school :?
Got zone 2 pass this morning. You can add it to your student acct. i had an issue processing the request online and had to go by the office, but they said grad student permits rarely sell out, so if you aren't able to (or forget to do it today), no worries!

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Scalvert wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:That $600 parking permit is making me have second doubts about driving to school :?
Got zone 2 pass this morning. You can add it to your student acct. i had an issue processing the request online and had to go by the office, but they said grad student permits rarely sell out, so if you aren't able to (or forget to do it today), no worries!
Cool, thanks! The good thing about parking is that there is a lot right next to the law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:23 pm

The Abyss wrote:I think our class is going to be substantially larger than last year's.
So last year's incoming class had 162 students. If the number of students enrolled in the Life of the Law courses are any indication, I would say you are right, there is a substantial increase. Possibly close to 200 students :shock: .

Any chance that the number enrolled in Life of the Law is not necessarily an indication of the size of the incoming 1L class?

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:28 pm

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:52 pm

So, was anyone else too late to sign up for the community service project, or was that just me? :?

Also, section C! Woo!

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:02 am

mist4bison wrote:So, was anyone else too late to sign up for the community service project, or was that just me? :?

Also, section C! Woo!
There was an email that said they added another community service project the other day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”