UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
61%
No
15%
Maybe
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
13%
No, already visited
10%

Total votes: 71

RationalHeretic23

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:22 pm

frazzledandbedazzled wrote:
skimmilk wrote:Heard back on my matching recently.. Based on their response I would say they are running out of money (if they haven't already).
This is scary. I have an April 30th deadline for my matching scholarship, so I don't imagine I'll be hearing this week...Does that mean people with later deadlines may not get matching aid just because the Fin Aid office hasn't reviewed their apps yet? If that's the case, then :shock:
Berkeley's financial aid process just seems like a complete mess, to be honest. I think they're going to miss out on a lot of good students because of the way they've treated their admitted students in the financial aid process.

clurrburr

Bronze

Post by clurrburr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:24 pm

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:34 pm

clurrburr wrote:
dizzystpizzy wrote:
+1 - same boat. Good luck!!

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Also was granted a matching scholarship with a deadline of the 29th. Just got the email stating that the deadline was moved up to tomorrow. I will be declining the offer - it is generous, but just not enough for my specific circumstance. Best of luck future Boalties - Berkeley is an amazing school!

dodgers225

New

Post by dodgers225 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:52 pm

urbanist11 wrote:Also was granted a matching scholarship with a deadline of the 29th. Just got the email stating that the deadline was moved up to tomorrow. I will be declining the offer - it is generous, but just not enough for my specific circumstance. Best of luck future Boalties - Berkeley is an amazing school!
Good luck to you as well!

You mind sharing when you submitted your matching app?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:42 pm

frazzledandbedazzled wrote:
skimmilk wrote:Heard back on my matching recently.. Based on their response I would say they are running out of money (if they haven't already).
This is scary. I have an April 30th deadline for my matching scholarship, so I don't imagine I'll be hearing this week...Does that mean people with later deadlines may not get matching aid just because the Fin Aid office hasn't reviewed their apps yet? If that's the case, then :shock:
Not necessarily, the matching scholarship I put in for had a deadline for the end of the month. I am not sure what their criteria is for review, but perhaps the reason they are moving up deadlines for people ITT is because they are trying to free up some money for people who need to know by the end of the month?

jalapenocheeseburger

New

Post by jalapenocheeseburger » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:08 pm

God Damn! I just received a very generous offer from another t-14 but I have to decide by the 29th...Come on Berkeley!

babybackribs

New

Post by babybackribs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Don't lose hope. I received a matching scholarship the day before my deadline. Definitely send follow-up emails

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:44 pm

babybackribs wrote:Don't lose hope. I received a matching scholarship the day before my deadline. Definitely send follow-up emails
My deadline is tomorrow and I sent a follow-up email this past Monday... Would it be too much to send another one..?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Muiraquita

Silver

Post by Muiraquita » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:48 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:
babybackribs wrote:Don't lose hope. I received a matching scholarship the day before my deadline. Definitely send follow-up emails
My deadline is tomorrow and I sent a follow-up email this past Monday... Would it be too much to send another one..?

The way I view it, if you have a deadline, you have a deadline. Email again, being persistent shows you actually are serious about this and given a response you'd likely go to Cal (or at least be able to really make that decision.)

babybackribs

New

Post by babybackribs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Muiraquita wrote:
RationalHeretic23 wrote:

The way I view it, if you have a deadline, you have a deadline. Email again, being persistent shows you actually are serious about this and given a response you'd likely go to Cal (or at least be able to really make that decision.)
^Agreed. I was persistent with my emails. I wanted to make sure my emails were seen.

jalapenocheeseburger

New

Post by jalapenocheeseburger » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:10 pm

babybackribs wrote:
Muiraquita wrote:
RationalHeretic23 wrote:

^Agreed. I was persistent with my emails. I wanted to make sure my emails were seen.
Who did you guys email?

Califbess

New

Post by Califbess » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:13 pm

I must also preach the gospel of persistent emailing. I reminded ktalvarez my deadline is tonight, and got a reply also instantly. Could be an insane coincidence, but it won't hurt to try.

Also, I unexpectly got a scholarship offer, a bit less than the one I'm considering but enough to make me hesitate. My matching scholarship app went ignored and the deadline for the scholarship I used passed, but the offer is somewhat close to the scholarship for the other school I'm considering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Muiraquita

Silver

Post by Muiraquita » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:20 pm

jalapenocheeseburger wrote:
babybackribs wrote:
Muiraquita wrote:
RationalHeretic23 wrote:

Who did you guys email?
Just the ktalvarez one listed on the Matching Confirmation email.

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Califbess wrote:I must also preach the gospel of persistent emailing. I reminded ktalvarez my deadline is tonight, and got a reply also instantly. Could be an insane coincidence, but it won't hurt to try.

Also, I unexpectly got a scholarship offer, a bit less than the one I'm considering but enough to make me hesitate. My matching scholarship app went ignored and the deadline for the scholarship I used passed, but the offer is somewhat close to the scholarship for the other school I'm considering.
Well would you look at that... I emailed and received a response on my scholarship amount within half an hour. Thank you for the advice guys!

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Califbess wrote:I must also preach the gospel of persistent emailing. I reminded ktalvarez my deadline is tonight, and got a reply also instantly. Could be an insane coincidence, but it won't hurt to try.

Thank you and everyone else in this thread that's given out information. I followed the be persistent advice and got a response as well. Now time to decide...

larsy91

New

Post by larsy91 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Now I'm getting nervous since I used my Michigan offer instead of my Duke offer and the deadline for them isn't until next week. I really hope they don't run out of money... I'd be all in to Berkeley even with half my Michigan amount.

Everyone that got offers today, when is your deadline?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:47 pm

larsy91 wrote:Now I'm getting nervous since I used my Michigan offer instead of my Duke offer and the deadline for them isn't until next week. I really hope they don't run out of money... I'd be all in to Berkeley even with half my Michigan amount.

I can't speak for everyone, but many of us were told April 29 informally. The actual deadline is the 22nd (tomorrow). You should get more aid next week since the school will be able to reassess how much $ it has left.

xoxoxo10

New

Post by xoxoxo10 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 pm

crescentstars wrote:
larsy91 wrote:Now I'm getting nervous since I used my Michigan offer instead of my Duke offer and the deadline for them isn't until next week. I really hope they don't run out of money... I'd be all in to Berkeley even with half my Michigan amount.

I can't speak for everyone, but many of us were told April 29 informally. The actual deadline is the 22nd (tomorrow). You should get more aid next week since the school will be able to reassess how much $ it has left.
Can I ask what you mean when you say you were told April 29 informally but the actual deadline is tomorrow? Were you told the deadline for letting Berkeley know whether you'll accept the matching scholarship was originally said to be the 29th, but then they moved it up to tomorrow? Are they able to do that?
And if you all don't mind, what was the deadline for the scholarship offer you submitted to Berkeley for your matching application?

I submitted an offer with a deadline next week, and I'm getting very anxious not having any information from Berkeley!

ChipperCookie

New

Post by ChipperCookie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 am

urbanist11 wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:Is it possible to get a matching scholarship AND a generic deans merit scholarship? I'm assuming the answer is no...
The answer is no :lol:
Hey! Long time lurker here, but I just wanted to let you know that I got both a dean's merit scholarship and a matching scholarship. So it's definitely possible! :D

Also, for those still waiting on matching scholarships, I ended up emailing them multiple times, the last of which was on the actual DAY of my deadline. I got a reply pretty quickly on that day though.

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:16 am

xoxoxo10 wrote:Can I ask what you mean when you say you were told April 29 informally but the actual deadline is tomorrow? Were you told the deadline for letting Berkeley know whether you'll accept the matching scholarship was originally said to be the 29th, but then they moved it up to tomorrow? Are they able to do that?
And if you all don't mind, what was the deadline for the scholarship offer you submitted to Berkeley for your matching application?

I submitted an offer with a deadline next week, and I'm getting very anxious not having any information from Berkeley!
Sorry for the late reply -- but yes you're exactly right. I was told informally that my deadline would be 4/29, but the official email stated that the deadline is 4/22. There's nothing stopping Berkeley from doing that since the first notification was just informal. It's kind of crappy, but I think someone got the dates mixed up so I'm trying not to be too salty (even though it did cause a fair bit of extra stress).

Anyway, it was really hard, but I withdrew last night. Tbh Boalt was definitely the hardest to turn down, but there's a good chance I'll study there during 3L through an exchange. We'll see. I hope they take the $$ they offered me and redistribute it to those still waiting! Good luck everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:05 pm

Has anyone gotten rejected from matching to later receive a merit scholarship?

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Has anyone got info on need-based grants and/or GDP? I'm freaking out. If I don't get any of these I will have to decline Berkeley's offer and accept a lower tiered school :/

I emailed Jamal twice but to no avail. And it's past April 15 now.

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:15 pm

middleastpeace wrote:Has anyone got info on need-based grants and/or GDP? I'm freaking out. If I don't get any of these I will have to decline Berkeley's offer and accept a lower tiered school :/

All need-based money has been disbursed. The only way those who havent been offered any may get some now is if those who were offered need-based money decline the offer.

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:22 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Has anyone got info on need-based grants and/or GDP? I'm freaking out. If I don't get any of these I will have to decline Berkeley's offer and accept a lower tiered school :/

All need-based money has been disbursed. The only way those who havent been offered any may get some now is if those who were offered need-based money decline the offer.

omfg are you serious? why didn't I get that "need-based rejection" letter then? boalt's finaid department is giving me an ulcer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”