UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
61%
No
15%
Maybe
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
13%
No, already visited
10%

Total votes: 71

skimmilk

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Post by skimmilk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Just curious, can submitting the matching scholarship form hurt you? I am wondering whether or not I should wait until I get my initial offer from Berkeley to submit my offer from UChicago.. Chicago didn't offer me a lot and I feel as though Berkeley is likely to offer me more. Is it possible that Berkeley will offer less (than they normally would have) if they know my other offers from peer schools aren't that great?

Rock Lawbster

New

Post by Rock Lawbster » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:56 pm

I am in the same boat as you skim. I am gonna wait to see what Berk offers. Kicking myself for not applying to Mich or UVA to have potentially better scholarship matching opportunities.

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Rock Lawbster wrote:I am in the same boat as you skim. I am gonna wait to see what Berk offers. Kicking myself for not applying to Mich or UVA to have potentially better scholarship matching opportunities.
Glad I'm not alone! UVA didn't offer me anything.. but I think I could have gotten some solid offers from Michigan had I applied. I sadly, however, was only thinking about how cold it would be there and not how I could use them for scholarship negotiations :(

lemoknope602

New

Post by lemoknope602 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:22 pm

TheLorax wrote:Did anyone get a confirmation after submitting the ASW form for admitted students weekend? I've gotten radio silence since I submitted the gdocs form.
I also don't have one yet, and it's not in my spam :/

gobears893

New

Post by gobears893 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:11 pm

lemoknope602 wrote:
TheLorax wrote:Did anyone get a confirmation after submitting the ASW form for admitted students weekend? I've gotten radio silence since I submitted the gdocs form.
If you didn't get the email, you might want to call their office [510-642-2274] to verify that they have you down for the weekend. Especially if you were planning on receiving a travel stipend. Can't wait to meet you all this weekend! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Califbess

New

Post by Califbess » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:08 am

Checking in.

This is my fifth year living in Berkeley, and the forecast has been more accurate this past week than usual. I'm sorry all the east coast folks might miss our good weather!

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:09 am

Looking forward to meeting those of you attending asw. I'm off to California today 8) !

obxt

New

Post by obxt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:38 am

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Alumni are fucking pissed. I'm squeamish about school investigations of this kind of stuff and don't generally feel it should be their jurisdiction, but in this case he fricking admitted to some pervasive, disgusting shit. It's absolutely outrageous that they didn't fire him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

frazzledandbedazzled

New

Post by frazzledandbedazzled » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:33 pm

oh wow :shock:

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 pm

frazzledandbedazzled wrote:
oh wow :shock:
I mean...this is...damnit.

obxt

New

Post by obxt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:54 pm

Tanicius wrote:Alumni are fucking pissed. I'm squeamish about school investigations of this kind of stuff and don't generally feel it should be their jurisdiction, but in this case he fricking admitted to some pervasive, disgusting shit. It's absolutely outrageous that they didn't fire him.

Yeah it seems from the piece like Berkeley knew, the administration admitted it was wrong, were like "write an apology letter and here's a paycut" and basically moved on. Coupled with that astronomer whose sexual harrassment basically went unaddressed by the administration, this is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth about berkeley in general.

who'llstoptherain

New

Post by who'llstoptherain » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:15 pm

lemoknope602 wrote:
Has anyone called the admin office about not receiving the confirmation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 pm

obxt wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Alumni are fucking pissed. I'm squeamish about school investigations of this kind of stuff and don't generally feel it should be their jurisdiction, but in this case he fricking admitted to some pervasive, disgusting shit. It's absolutely outrageous that they didn't fire him.

Yeah it seems from the piece like Berkeley knew, the administration admitted it was wrong, were like "write an apology letter and here's a paycut" and basically moved on. Coupled with that astronomer whose sexual harrassment basically went unaddressed by the administration, this is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth about berkeley in general.
Yeah that article definitely makes it look like they tried to sweep sexual harassment under the rug.

obxt

New

Post by obxt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:35 pm

who'llstoptherain wrote:
lemoknope602 wrote:

check your spam folder-- it was in mine this AM.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:34 pm

Last edited by dietcoke1 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemoknope602

New

Post by lemoknope602 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:40 pm

obxt wrote:
who'llstoptherain wrote:
lemoknope602 wrote:

check your spam folder-- it was in mine this AM.
I emailed this morning about it and another issue, and they said they had my RSVP :) still haven't received the email! Odd. But I think as long as you filled out the Google doc you should be okay.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:40 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:Not sure how to take the news about the Dean today. Obviously the accusations are horrendous and shameful, and I hope their is justice. But, as were about to attend ASW, how should we factor this in? Should it affect our decision at all? Not quite sure how to process this. Sorry if this comes across as selfish.
I've wondered the same thing. It's crazy that this is a pattern at Berkeley (see: former dean, 2004), which would pretty universally be considered a liberal, progressive bastion. At the same time, I don't think it's reflective of the community, and the backlash that is occurring is in my eyes great to see. I also don't see it significantly affecting the school's prestige; this doesn't reflect on the quality of the students or professors, and I doubt employers are going to be any less willing to hire Boalt grads.

But still...how the fuck could this happen? What does it say about the people running the school?

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Last edited by KiltedKicker on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:28 pm

Oooooooof. This is rough timing. Extremely curious how they will handle it tomorrow....

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:13 am

lemondrop wrote:
Oooooooof. This is rough timing. Extremely curious how they will handle it tomorrow....
Yeah I feel bad for Dean Tom. This is an admissions officer's worst nightmare, coming out the day before ASW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:14 am

Article was updated! The Dean is taking an indefinite leave of absence.

I guess that means that he's not having the URM students over to his house for ASW. Please someone post a copy of that cancellation email.

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:16 am

pterodactyls wrote:Article was updated! The Dean is taking an indefinite leave of absence.

I guess that means that he's not having the URM students over to his house for ASW. Please someone post a copy of that cancellation email.
They sent an email earlier today saying that the event was happening in another space at the law school itself. No mention of what happened or even that there was a change, but we all know lol.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:22 am

crescentstars wrote:
pterodactyls wrote:Article was updated! The Dean is taking an indefinite leave of absence.

They sent an email earlier today saying that the event was happening in another space at the law school itself. No mention of what happened or even that there was a change, but we all know lol.
Haha that is interesting.

freshprinceoflaw

New

Post by freshprinceoflaw » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Last edited by freshprinceoflaw on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”