UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
61%
No
15%
Maybe
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
13%
No, already visited
10%

Total votes: 71

middleastpeace

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:29 pm

middleastpeace wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Has anyone got info on need-based grants and/or GDP? I'm freaking out. If I don't get any of these I will have to decline Berkeley's offer and accept a lower tiered school :/

I emailed Jamal twice but to no avail. And it's past April 15 now.
All need-based money has been disbursed. The only way those who havent been offered any may get some now is if those who were offered need-based money decline the offer.

omfg are you serious? why didn't I get that "need-based rejection" letter then? boalt's finaid department is giving me an ulcer.
Also just called their finaid department...they are moving to another office so their voicemail said they won't have access to phones from april 21-26....GET IT TOGETHER YOU GUYS wow

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:24 pm

middleastpeace wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Has anyone got info on need-based grants and/or GDP? I'm freaking out. If I don't get any of these I will have to decline Berkeley's offer and accept a lower tiered school :/

All need-based money has been disbursed. The only way those who havent been offered any may get some now is if those who were offered need-based money decline the offer.

omfg are you serious? why didn't I get that "need-based rejection" letter then? boalt's finaid department is giving me an ulcer.
Also just called their finaid department...they are moving to another office so their voicemail said they won't have access to phones from april 21-26....GET IT TOGETHER YOU GUYS wow

You didn't get the email btw because you are probably eligible for need aid.. Apparently they forgot to mention that not all those who are eligible for need aid get it. On a side note, I think I heard Jamal (or maybe some other main person at the office) has left.. You may want to email someone else.

CAgirl123

New

Post by CAgirl123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:42 pm

hi. congrats everyone!!!

CAgirl123

New

Post by CAgirl123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:44 pm

Don't worry! He'll email bacK!!! PEACE TO THE MIDDLE EAST!!!!!!

Jordan Catalano

New

Post by Jordan Catalano » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:00 pm

CAgirl123 wrote:

Hi CA, do you know something we don't know? You're talking to a room full of desperate, heart-broken people here, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:05 pm

Jordan Catalano wrote:
CAgirl123 wrote:

Hi CA, do you know something we don't know? You're talking to a room full of desperate, heart-broken people here, lol.

Hahah that's my friend, she's just trying to keep our hopes up. <3 Thanks CAgirl

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:12 pm

skimmilk wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:

You didn't get the email btw because you are probably eligible for need aid.. Apparently they forgot to mention that not all those who are eligible for need aid get it. On a side note, I think I heard Jamal (or maybe some other main person at the office) has left.. You may want to email someone else.

uh oh...I literally just saw him at the diversity reception in SF. Nagged him in person to but he didn't budge at all. So how do they determine between those who are eligible who gets aid and who doesnt? Bc I'll be frank, I thought I was one of the poorest if not the poorest person applying to law schools haha

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:24 pm

middleastpeace wrote:
skimmilk wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:

uh oh...I literally just saw him at the diversity reception in SF. Nagged him in person to but he didn't budge at all. So how do they determine between those who are eligible who gets aid and who doesnt? Bc I'll be frank, I thought I was one of the poorest if not the poorest person applying to law schools haha
Likely given out based on how much they want you to attend

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:51 am

KiltedKicker wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
skimmilk wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:

Likely given out based on how much they want you to attend
The unfortunate truth, sadly I feel like half the time need aid is awarded for PR purposes. As in you would have gotten "X" amount of aid, but if you're poor they relabel it as need-based.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dizzystpizzy

Bronze

Post by dizzystpizzy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:55 am

Sad to say I withdrew yesterday. Didn't get much aid from Boalt but hope it finds its way back to some deserving folks here. Best of luck to everyone wherever you end up!

lemoknope602

New

Post by lemoknope602 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Last edited by lemoknope602 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:18 pm

Has anyone had any success in negotiating higher merit offers? Has anyone tried? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks!

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:56 pm

GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:Has anyone had any success in negotiating higher merit offers? Has anyone tried? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks!
Please let me know if you hear anything about this. I received my matching scholarship offer this past Thursday and I asked for more otherwise I will have to enroll elsewhere. I'm hoping to hear back within the next few days or I will have to withdraw my application.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:57 pm

GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:Has anyone had any success in negotiating higher merit offers? Has anyone tried? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks!
Please let me know if you hear anything about this. I received my matching scholarship offer this past Thursday and I asked for more otherwise I will have to enroll elsewhere. I'm hoping to hear back within the next few days or I will have to withdraw my application.

sudijajd

New

Post by sudijajd » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:52 pm

Has anyone had any success in e-mailing with pending deadlines from a school Not on their matching list? I have a deadline this week and will keep emailing!

Muiraquita

Silver

Post by Muiraquita » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:12 am

So... the Admitted students website has their Facebook set up now, but I cannot seem to find this "edit your profile" link they reference... Anyone want to help this helpless person?

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Has anyone received both a matching scholarship and a merit scholarship? I have a deadline this week for a matching scholarship but I'm really hoping I still have a chance at more money through a merit scholarship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Any new offers today? Merit or need based? PM or reply, which ever is preferred :D

frazzledandbedazzled

New

Post by frazzledandbedazzled » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:01 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:Any new offers today? Merit or need based? PM or reply, which ever is preferred :D
+ 1 also very interested in this !

spacemonkey001122

New

Post by spacemonkey001122 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:19 pm

frazzledandbedazzled wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:Any new offers today? Merit or need based? PM or reply, which ever is preferred :D
+ 1 also very interested in this !
+1!

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:01 pm

Where are you guys sending the "if I don't get more FinAid I'm withdrawing" email to? Jamal? Kristen? straight to Dean Tom??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:12 pm

middleastpeace wrote:Where are you guys sending the "if I don't get more FinAid I'm withdrawing" email to? Jamal? Kristen? straight to Dean Tom??
I sent it to Kristen and CCed Dean Tom and the office of financial aid. I sent an email like this on Friday and haven't heard back yet.

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Muiraquita wrote:So... the Admitted students website has their Facebook set up now, but I cannot seem to find this "edit your profile" link they reference... Anyone want to help this helpless person?
At the top you should find the link right under 'Welcome [your name]'

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:51 pm

sudijajd wrote:Has anyone had any success in e-mailing with pending deadlines from a school Not on their matching list? I have a deadline this week and will keep emailing!
Emailed kristin twice last week to no avail. Good luck

sudijajd

New

Post by sudijajd » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:01 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Where are you guys sending the "if I don't get more FinAid I'm withdrawing" email to? Jamal? Kristen? straight to Dean Tom??
I sent it to Kristen and CCed Dean Tom and the office of financial aid. I sent an email like this on Friday and haven't heard back yet.
Also sent a couple of e-mails this way and finally received a response - basically urging me to make a decision as things are, since it's a toss up whether I will get any money or not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”