UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
61%
No
15%
Maybe
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
13%
No, already visited
10%

Total votes: 71

RationalHeretic23

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Muiraquita wrote:
RationalHeretic23 wrote:
xoxoxo10 wrote:I have gone deep down the rabbit hole and am looking for any sign of hope that Berkeley might want to give me *something* with my matching scholarship application.
So on that note, the "My Finances" tab on CalCentral is now just has a message that says: "You do not currently have any Financial Aid information ready to view. Please check Financial Aid & Scholarships or contact Cal Student Central for more information."

Could this be a sign that they're sending out offers today? Or do we think their system is just down...?
FWIW, I was offered a matching scholarship via email last week and it still hasn't shown up on CalCentral at all. So don't think that if CalCentral isn't showing anything that there's no hope :D

Yea same, I got the offer, and have already signed the acceptance form for the offer, and gotten the confirmation of that, but still not on CalCentral.
How long did it take to come in the mail? My deadline is this Friday and I still haven't received it in the mail, so I'm just getting a little nervous lol. I was told via email this past Friday that they'd be sending it in the mail.

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Called admissions yesterday and they said all merit and need-based money had gone out already and awards wont be made unless other people decline offers. So, if you haven't received aid, it is dependent of what others do and deadlines don't necessarily matter at this point :/

williamtell

New

Post by williamtell » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:40 pm

I called today and was told matching awards are being sent out over the next several days and I should hear by Friday. THey didn't seem to care that I had deadlines approaching before the end of the week. Seems like total disorganization or apathy. Don't know which is worse.

Muiraquita

Silver

Post by Muiraquita » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:44 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:
How long did it take to come in the mail? My deadline is this Friday and I still haven't received it in the mail, so I'm just getting a little nervous lol. I was told via email this past Friday that they'd be sending it in the mail.
I got the unofficial email saying they'd give me the aid, and then got the actual email with the letter to sign and return accepting it 3 days later.

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:45 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:Called admissions yesterday and they said all merit and need-based money had gone out already and awards wont be made unless other people decline offers. So, if you haven't received aid, it is dependent of what others do and deadlines don't necessarily matter at this point :/

I thought this was just a rumor but the fact that the admissions office said that scares me. I emailed Dean Tom and CCed fin aid this morning about my financial situation (supporting parents) and that my decision is heavily contingent upon need-based/merit scholarships. Got a reply within an hour from Dean Tom that he can't decide FinAid but will forward my message to FinAid. So I'm hoping that his push means something. :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:55 pm

Also everyone is talking about merit scholarships and need based grant, but has anyone heard anything from GDP? Graduate Diversity Program.

Califbess

New

Post by Califbess » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:25 pm

I've withdrawn. Never got the formal financial aid offer after getting an informal one last Thursday. I hope my money, if it was even there, goes to someone in need. The mess with the financial aid office wasn't all that drove me away -- I've been in California all my life and in Berkeley for five years already -- but it certainly didn't help. Good luck to everyone, and I hope aid comes your way just in time! Seriously, I got Berkeley's offer hours before another school's deadline . . .

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Califbess wrote:I've withdrawn. Never got the formal financial aid offer after getting an informal one last Thursday. I hope my money, if it was even there, goes to someone in need. The mess with the financial aid office wasn't all that drove me away -- I've been in California all my life and in Berkeley for five years already -- but it certainly didn't help. Good luck to everyone, and I hope aid comes your way just in time! Seriously, I got Berkeley's offer hours before another school's deadline . . .

Good luck to you where ever you're going to law school!

eugepaeee

New

Post by eugepaeee » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:54 pm

My matching scholarship application with Columbia just got denied, even though my numbers are at/above both of their 75ths; they must legitimately be out of money.

Bye, Berkeley. It's been real.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

berek

New

Post by berek » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Matching declined. Bye Berkeley :(

larsy91

New

Post by larsy91 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm devastated. I got scholarships at every school I applied to except Berkeley and this was by far my top choice. I don't know what to do now.

Matching denied. Heart broken.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:07 pm

It's pretty misleading that they publish a "priority deadline" when the students who applied months ahead of the deadline had much better outcomes.

They should say "first come, first served" rather than "Those who apply before April 15 will be given priority."

sudijajd

New

Post by sudijajd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 pm

pterodactyls wrote:It's pretty misleading that they publish a "priority deadline" when the students who applied months ahead of the deadline had much better outcomes.

They should say "first come, first served" rather than "Those who apply before April 15 will be given priority."
I feel ya. I applied early, but my app was put on hold while they determined my eligibility for independence. After that determination was made, I was in the 'those that applied later' pile, and didn't end up getting any actual early consideration.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xoxoxo10

New

Post by xoxoxo10 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:15 pm

pterodactyls wrote:It's pretty misleading that they publish a "priority deadline" when the students who applied months ahead of the deadline had much better outcomes.

I applied in February, well before the priority deadline. And I'm still waiting to hear back before my deadline on Saturday. I haven't received a rejection yet, but everyone seems to be saying that they have given away all their money... So I'm not convinced applying earlier would have made any difference.

frazzledandbedazzled

New

Post by frazzledandbedazzled » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:47 pm

larsy91 wrote:I'm devastated. I got scholarships at every school I applied to except Berkeley and this was by far my top choice. I don't know what to do now.

Matching denied. Heart broken.
+1... really, really sad :cry: Berkeley has been the dream this whole time, but I don't think I can stomach it at sticker.

IcarusOnWheels

New

Post by IcarusOnWheels » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:59 pm

After 4 emails in 3 days this week because of deadlines, I FINALLY got a response.

They gave me about 30% of my matching offer from Michigan. Bummed, Berkeley was my top and my SO is already going to be in San Francisco next year.

Why you gotta be like that Berkeley?

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Received my formal offer somewhat recently. PM me if you want details (somewhat trying not to out myself). I'm guessing that these things are going out in batches and they offer up more money if people pass on them.

Sorry to those that are getting their offers denied =/. Best of luck to you all wherever you choose to go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

larsy91

New

Post by larsy91 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:11 pm

I would do anything for even a 30% match. Do you guys think I should email them and ask for reconsideration?

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:35 pm

middleastpeace wrote:Also everyone is talking about merit scholarships and need based grant, but has anyone heard anything from GDP? Graduate Diversity Program.
I'm wondering this as well =/

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:47 pm

larsy91 wrote:I would do anything for even a 30% match. Do you guys think I should email them and ask for reconsideration?
Go for it. Since your heart was set on Berkeley, I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen? All they can do is say no and you're right back where you started. But lots of people will be denying scholarship offers over the next few days, so they will almost definitely have more money available to say yes here in a few days after deadlines have passed. If you can manage to wait a few days before asking for reconsideration, it might pay off for you. I'd also recommend expressing to Berkeley how set you are on Boalt being your dream school and that you'd immediately enroll if offered even a partial matching scholarship. Good luck!

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:58 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:
larsy91 wrote:I would do anything for even a 30% match. Do you guys think I should email them and ask for reconsideration?
Go for it. Since your heart was set on Berkeley, I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen? All they can do is say no and you're right back where you started. But lots of people will be denying scholarship offers over the next few days, so they will almost definitely have more money available to say yes here in a few days after deadlines have passed. If you can manage to wait a few days before asking for reconsideration, it might pay off for you. I'd also recommend expressing to Berkeley how set you are on Boalt being your dream school and that you'd immediately enroll if offered even a partial matching scholarship. Good luck!
+1. Was just about to reply saying pretty much the exact same thing. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:00 pm

180kickflip wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Also everyone is talking about merit scholarships and need based grant, but has anyone heard anything from GDP? Graduate Diversity Program.

I had a phone appointment with FinAid yesterday. He didn't give me much info on GDP, but said it is still under review, and if you didn't get it you'll receive an email stating that. The only timeline he could provide was it's still under review for next couple of weeks.

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:08 pm

middleastpeace wrote:
180kickflip wrote:

I had a phone appointment with FinAid yesterday. He didn't give me much info on GDP, but said it is still under review, and if you didn't get it you'll receive an email stating that. The only timeline he could provide was it's still under review for next couple of weeks.
Thank you so so much for this update. I know it's probably a longshot, but I'll be crossing my fingers that we both come back with good news once the decisions are out!

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 pm

180kickflip wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
180kickflip wrote:

Thank you so so much for this update. I know it's probably a longshot, but I'll be crossing my fingers that we both come back with good news once the decisions are out!

Yes, me too! Good luck!!

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Officially withdrew! Good luck to all of those still riding the struggle train for money. Being a California native, I am sure you all will love the weather! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”