UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
61%
No
15%
Maybe
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
13%
No, already visited
10%

Total votes: 71

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:17 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:Officially withdrew! Good luck to all of those still riding the struggle train for money. Being a California native, I am sure you all will love the weather! :)
Sorry to see you go. Good luck wherever you end up!

Jordan Catalano

New

Post by Jordan Catalano » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:29 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:Officially withdrew! Good luck to all of those still riding the struggle train for money. Being a California native, I am sure you all will love the weather! :)
Whoa! Thought you were in for the long haul with us on this thread! Where are you going instead? And yes, I am excited for your weather : D

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Jordan Catalano wrote:
Whoa! Thought you were in for the long haul with us on this thread! Where are you going instead? And yes, I am excited for your weather : D
To be honest, I thought I was too. It was very heart breaking as Boalt was my dream school. Even though we are adults and I'm not a special snowflake, I do want to attend an institution that wants me as much as I want them (if not more haha). I just wasn't getting that from Berkeley and Duke gave me an amazing scholarship. I will be trading in my sunny weather (FYI, even though Cali has good weather overall, SoCal weather is MUCH better than NorCal weather) for snow and humidity. Hello, Duke! :)

But seriously all, I hope for the best. I'll probably still troll on here just to make sure you all are still alive :lol:

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Update on need-based grants. I called the FinAid office and they said there might be money back in the need-based pot if people decline offers they have already made. Monday is the deadline for them to accept/decline, so by next Wednesday they might have more need-based grants to offer other people. Good luck everyone!

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:49 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:
Jordan Catalano wrote:
To be honest, I thought I was too. It was very heart breaking as Boalt was my dream school. Even though we are adults and I'm not a special snowflake, I do want to attend an institution that wants me as much as I want them (if not more haha). I just wasn't getting that from Berkeley and Duke gave me an amazing scholarship. I will be trading in my sunny weather (FYI, even though Cali has good weather overall, SoCal weather is MUCH better than NorCal weather) for snow and humidity. Hello, Duke! :)

But seriously all, I hope for the best. I'll probably still troll on here just to make sure you all are still alive :lol:
I'm sorry you were discouraged by Boalt! :/ But I wish you the best at Duke! I have an uncle who teaches there and a cousin who is an undergrad. Both are Bay Area natives, but have slowly come to love NC..probably because it's so much more affordable to live there haha. Hope the same for you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCDAACH

New

Post by YCDAACH » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Just withdrew from Berkeley with a 62k need based offer. It was bittersweet and a hard decision because I loved the school so much.
Hopefully one of you gets more/some money now. I'm also a CA native and I'm sure that those of you who come will love it. Good luck.

lingo

New

Post by lingo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:18 pm

Any know if tuition for 2016-17 is listed anywhere?

Jordan Catalano

New

Post by Jordan Catalano » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:31 pm

YCDAACH wrote:Just withdrew from Berkeley with a 62k need based offer. It was bittersweet and a hard decision because I loved the school so much.
Hopefully one of you gets more/some money now. I'm also a CA native and I'm sure that those of you who come will love it. Good luck.
Thank you so much for letting us know!
lingo wrote:Any know if tuition for 2016-17 is listed anywhere?
Standard Budget Items/ Cost
Tuition and Fees $ 52,634 (out-of-state students)
Housing and Food $ 20,128
Books and Supplies $ 1,526
Transportation $ 3,146
Health Insurance $ 4,146
Personal Expenses $ 1,580
Standard Budget Total $ 83,160

Edit: Tuition and Fees is $ 48,682 for in-state students (thanks to someone for pointing this out to me). Also, I believe a tuition freeze for the next few years is likely (see the convo back a few pages in this thread).

RationalHeretic23

New

Post by RationalHeretic23 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:19 am

Just withdraw all my other apps! I'm officially coming to Berkeley! I'm looking for a possible roommate as well, so let me know if you're interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Mon May 02, 2016 1:20 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:Just withdraw all my other apps! I'm officially coming to Berkeley! I'm looking for a possible roommate as well, so let me know if you're interested.
Congrats! I'm official now too. See you in the fall!

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Mon May 02, 2016 1:45 pm

Side note: Is anyone commuting their first year from outside of Berkeley? I.e. a 30+ min driving commute?

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Mon May 02, 2016 1:52 pm

middleastpeace wrote:Side note: Is anyone commuting their first year from outside of Berkeley? I.e. a 30+ min driving commute?
Briefly considered it, but it sounds like a terrible additional burden on what will already be a rough year.

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Mon May 02, 2016 1:57 pm

GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Side note: Is anyone commuting their first year from outside of Berkeley? I.e. a 30+ min driving commute?
Briefly considered it, but it sounds like a terrible additional burden on what will already be a rough year.
True...
I'm trying to weigh pros and cons of living with my parents. I'll save on rent, don't have to worry about food/laundry...but the commute will be a pain.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Mon May 02, 2016 2:01 pm

middleastpeace wrote:
GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:
True...
I'm trying to weigh pros and cons of living with my parents. I'll save on rent, don't have to worry about food/laundry...but the commute will be a pain.

Also my situation is a bit more complicated with providing support for my parents (I would contribute to their rent instead of getting my own place). But I'm trying to think objectively and independent of that fact to see if it would still make sense to commute.

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Mon May 02, 2016 2:09 pm

middleastpeace wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:
True...

Also my situation is a bit more complicated with providing support for my parents (I would contribute to their rent instead of getting my own place). But I'm trying to think objectively and independent of that fact to see if it would still make sense to commute.
Ah, that's a little tougher. Is it a 30+min commute without traffic? If you're a local... you know this traffic has only been getting worse...

(Happy to chat about this more but I'm genuinely unsure if the public class forum is the space for it. Your call! Feel free to PM me as well.)

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Mon May 02, 2016 2:19 pm

GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:
True...

Ah, that's a little tougher. Is it a 30+min commute without traffic? If you're a local... you know this traffic has only been getting worse...

(Happy to chat about this more but I'm genuinely unsure if the public class forum is the space for it. Your call! Feel free to PM me as well.)
Haha yeah you're right. I was just checking to see if I'm crazy and the only one thinking about commuting.

lnlia707

New

Post by lnlia707 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:49 pm

If it makes you feel better, I know someone commuting from Berkeley to Stanford as a 1L and they're handling it well/say it's a manageable burden on top of school work. It's much longer than 30 minutes - probably 45 without any traffic and hr+ without, but she always steers away from commuter rush hours

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

middleastpeace

New

Post by middleastpeace » Tue May 03, 2016 2:30 pm

lnlia707 wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I know someone commuting from Berkeley to Stanford as a 1L and they're handling it well/say it's a manageable burden on top of school work. It's much longer than 30 minutes - probably 45 without any traffic and hr+ without, but she always steers away from commuter rush hours

That does makes me feel better thanks! Now I know it's not impossible

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Tue May 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Just avoid the interstates between 7 am - 9:30 am and 4 pm - 6:30 pm and you'll make your commuting life a lot easier in the Bay Area.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Wed May 04, 2016 9:54 am

Officially checking in. This bird's going to Berkeley.

Muiraquita

Silver

Post by Muiraquita » Wed May 04, 2016 9:55 am

pterodactyls wrote:Officially checking in. This bird's going to Berkeley.

wooooo :!:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Wed May 04, 2016 2:09 pm

pterodactyls wrote:Officially checking in. This bird's going to Berkeley.

Congrats!

GrumpyYellowOgre

Bronze

Post by GrumpyYellowOgre » Wed May 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Also, feel free to holler if you have questions about the area and apartment hunting. I've been visiting lately to update my knowledge from my undergrad years.

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 am

GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:Also, feel free to holler if you have questions about the area and apartment hunting. I've been visiting lately to update my knowledge from my undergrad years.
Any info would be really helpful! I've been asking in the Boalt 1L thread in the FAQ section as well.

Do you have any thoughts on general timelines? If I'm trying to secure an apartment for August 1, should I plan to start looking mid-June or wait till mid-July?

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:47 am

pterodactyls wrote:
GrumpyYellowOgre wrote:Also, feel free to holler if you have questions about the area and apartment hunting. I've been visiting lately to update my knowledge from my undergrad years.
Any info would be really helpful! I've been asking in the Boalt 1L thread in the FAQ section as well.

Do you have any thoughts on general timelines? If I'm trying to secure an apartment for August 1, should I plan to start looking mid-June or wait till mid-July?
The housing market is super competitive out here - SF is the absolute worst but Berkeley/ Oakland isn't much better these days. If you're picky and/ or on a strict budget I would suggest June

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”