UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending Admitted Students Weekend?

Yes
61%
No
15%
Maybe
1%
No, but I'll be doing an individual visit
13%
No, already visited
10%

Total votes: 71

dizzystpizzy

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2019

Post by dizzystpizzy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Checking in! Hope to see y'all at ASW (if I can get time off from work in time).

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 am

Hey guys,

I just got a scholarship offer from Michigan and I am submitting it to Berkeley for the Matching scholarship award. Berkeley says they want a signed letter- does that mean physically signed? I just made the email into a pdf but that doesn't have a physical signature. What have other people done?

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:54 am

Applesauce11 wrote:Hey guys,

I just got a scholarship offer from Michigan and I am submitting it to Berkeley for the Matching scholarship award. Berkeley says they want a signed letter- does that mean physically signed? I just made the email into a pdf but that doesn't have a physical signature. What have other people done?
Did the email as a pdf

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:55 am

urbanist11 wrote:

Did the email as a pdf
Thanks!

dizzystpizzy

Bronze

Post by dizzystpizzy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:15 pm

Wondering if any of you all have seen some kind of schedule for ASW-- I still haven't received log-in information so haven't been able to RSVP/register. I'm trying to plan travel from the east coast and need to figure out how much work I can miss to make it out west in time for whatever is planned for us.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:22 pm

I simply forwarded the email Michigan sent me
Last edited by KiltedKicker on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maracuya

Bronze

Post by maracuya » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:36 pm

Last edited by maracuya on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:40 pm

maracuya wrote:Does Berkeley give an initial scholarship offer first and then you counter it with the scholarship you want matched? Or are we supposed to initiate the whole thing?

I haven't received any merit scholarship info yet and was admitted in December.
https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... checklist/

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/admissions ... holarship/

gobears893

New

Post by gobears893 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:51 pm

dizzystpizzy wrote:Wondering if any of you all have seen some kind of schedule for ASW-- I still haven't received log-in information so haven't been able to RSVP/register. I'm trying to plan travel from the east coast and need to figure out how much work I can miss to make it out west in time for whatever is planned for us.
I'm going to try to upload screenshots of the schedule soon (I think the account has to be active for two weeks before it'll allow me to upload them). But to give you a rough idea:
Thursday
11 AM-7:30 PM

Friday
9 AM-7 PM

Saturday
10 AM-1 PM

From what the ASW says, you can select the days you will be able to attend (it doesn't have to be all of them). To be eligible for the travel stipend, you must attend Thursday and/or Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dizzystpizzy

Bronze

Post by dizzystpizzy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:52 pm

gobears893 wrote: I'm going to try to upload screenshots of the schedule soon (I think the account has to be active for two weeks before it'll allow me to upload them). But to give you a rough idea:
Thursday
11 AM-7:30 PM

Friday
9 AM-7 PM

Saturday
10 AM-1 PM

From what the ASW says, you can select the days you will be able to attend (it doesn't have to be all of them). To be eligible for the travel stipend, you must attend Thursday and/or Friday.
Thanks so much-- this is really helpful!

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Checking in SO hard right now. I'm curious if anyone else did an individual visit? If so, did you feel that it was informative/helpful? I'm not too sure I can make it to ASW, but I would really love to see Berkeley!

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:45 pm

crescentstars wrote:Checking in SO hard right now. I'm curious if anyone else did an individual visit? If so, did you feel that it was informative/helpful? I'm not too sure I can make it to ASW, but I would really love to see Berkeley!
I did an individual visit, and I had an awesome experience. Met with an admissions officer, a friend from UG who's a 2L, and sat in on a few 2L classes (might be more valuable to sit in on 1L classes to compare schools, but w/e). The city, university, and law school are all stunningly beautiful.

ETA: congrats!!

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:52 am

oliverotis wrote:
crescentstars wrote:Checking in SO hard right now. I'm curious if anyone else did an individual visit? If so, did you feel that it was informative/helpful? I'm not too sure I can make it to ASW, but I would really love to see Berkeley!
I did an individual visit, and I had an awesome experience. Met with an admissions officer, a friend from UG who's a 2L, and sat in on a few 2L classes (might be more valuable to sit in on 1L classes to compare schools, but w/e). The city, university, and law school are all stunningly beautiful.

ETA: congrats!!
Hey, thanks! Oh man, this makes me crazy excited. Glad to hear it was a good visit! Still hoping I can do ASW, but I'm glad to know I can still find another time if I need to.

Also, just curious - are you leaning towards Berkeley? This totally blindsided me, so my thought process is pretty mixed up right now haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SD619

Bronze

Post by SD619 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Just got invited to a private brunch with the dean on Sunday, March 13th, but ASW is 10th-12th.

Did everybody get this? Or does it signify something special? Idk I just figured since its at the deans house and it says 'invite only' maybe it's only for URM?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:38 pm

SD619 wrote:Just got invited to a private brunch with the dean on Sunday, March 13th, but ASW is 10th-12th.

Did everybody get this? Or does it signify something special? Idk I just figured since its at the deans house and it says 'invite only' maybe it's only for URM?
I didn't get it and I'm white, so maybe it's just a URM thing? What did it say?

SD619

Bronze

Post by SD619 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:
SD619 wrote:Just got invited to a private brunch with the dean on Sunday, March 13th, but ASW is 10th-12th.

I didn't get it and I'm white, so maybe it's just a URM thing? What did it say?
Idk though because I got invited to a separate "diversity" shindig that most of the schools have too.

It was pretty fancy and vague. It says Dean Choudhry and his family invite me to a special brunch at their home with Berkeley faculty and admitted students, by invitation only, space is limited.

Hmm

Howard2Harvard

New

Post by Howard2Harvard » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Seems like it. URM here and I got it .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Howard2Harvard wrote:

I did not get it.. Also not URM. I hope it is a just special brunch for URM students and not some kind of VIP, Dean's favorites club :shock: lol

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:23 pm

skimmilk wrote:
Howard2Harvard wrote:

I did not get it.. Also not URM. I hope it is a just special brunch for URM students and not some kind of VIP, Dean's favorites club :shock: lol
I think it's probably a URM thing. To my knowledge Berkeley's prohibited by some proposition from considering URM status in admissions, so to keep the class diverse they probably invest a lot of resources in maintaining a high URM yield rate.

gobears893

New

Post by gobears893 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Just posted a new poll and a schedule of ASW events in the OP for those who are waiting for access to the website. :)

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:03 am

This is going to be a long and torturous wait for scholarships. We're like a month away still, I just want to know where I'm going

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:46 pm

I feel as though Berkeley's choice to wait until April to release FA info is evil, but strategically smart on their end. This method ultimately forces us to bring our best offers to them first. They then can decide how much they want to give us, and we lose pretty much any chance of negotiation given the limited amount of time between FA info being released and the date in which we must reserve our seats. Has anyone, in the past, successfully negotiated a higher offer before the seat deadline?

tappatappatappa

Bronze

Post by tappatappatappa » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tappatappatappa on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:04 pm

tappatappatappa wrote:Is there a deadline to submit a matching scholarship? I had it in my mind as March 1 but now I can't find a date anywhere.
Their website states "priority" will be given to applications submitted before April 15th and that most decisions will be made by May 15th (I really hope they move faster than this).

They also said that they review applications in the order they are submitted, but decisions are not released in order of submit date.

tappatappatappa

Bronze

Post by tappatappatappa » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tappatappatappa on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”