Illinois College of Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Chambana?

Earlier than August 1st
No votes
August 1st-3rd
22%
August 4th-6th
11%
August 7th-9th
No votes
August 10th-12th
22%
August 13th-15th
44%
Later than August 15th
No votes

Total votes: 9

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Re: Illinois College of Law Class of 2019

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:29 pm

GrandJC wrote:
Supercalifragilistic wrote:
GrandJC wrote:I am visiting the area next week and called a few apartment complexes about availability in the fall. They said that a lot of the apartments fill up in the beginning of summer... so I would recommend reaching out during the beginning of summer especially if you already know where you want to live.
Thanks for the info! I've been thinking about apartments a lot this week. Have you narrowed your list at all?
For apartments? Yeah, I narrowed it down to two options and will be visiting them. I am getting a one bedroom and the rent looks to have a range of $650-800.
Yeah for apartments. Where are you getting yours if you don't mind sharing? Just want to figure out the consensus for law students/our class of 1Ls, so I don't end up in a building full of undergrads.

Still can't decide if I want a 1 bedroom or roommates..

I'll probably look to sign a lease or book something during the April 1 open house

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:34 pm

bievmic wrote:
TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Pretty much official over here. Just rescinded my applications at every school except UIUC and a waitlist.

Looking through some past threads it seems like a lot of the apartment complexes start taking apps this time of year or start their waitlists for the fall. I'm thinking about heading down to campus soon to check them out and possibly put my name down.
Yeah I just don't know if I even want to try to find a roommate or just get a one bedroom for my first year.
I've heard pros and cons for both. I feel like I'd be more likely to room alone for my 2nd or 3rd years..

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:57 pm

GrandJC wrote:
GrandJC wrote:I am visiting the area next week and called a few apartment complexes about availability in the fall. They said that a lot of the apartments fill up in the beginning of summer... so I would recommend reaching out during the beginning of summer especially if you already know where you want to live.
Thanks for the info! I've been thinking about apartments a lot this week. Have you narrowed your list at all?
For apartments? Yeah, I narrowed it down to two options and will be visiting them. I am getting a one bedroom and the rent looks to have a range of $650-800.
Yeah for apartments. Where are you getting yours if you don't mind sharing? Just want to figure out the consensus for law students/our class of 1Ls, so I don't end up in a building full of undergrads.

Still can't decide if I want a 1 bedroom or roommates..

I'll probably look to sign a lease or book something during the April 1 open house

I'll pm you details.

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Has anyone looked into law/grad student housing?

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:Has anyone looked into law/grad student housing?
I asked a few of the grad students I know and while none of them live there personally they said they know people who do and I heard a lot of positive reviews. The only negative thing I heard multiple times is that the rents do not seem to be as competitive as the other options in town.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:17 pm

bievmic wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Has anyone looked into law/grad student housing?
I asked a few of the grad students I know and while none of them live there personally they said they know people who do and I heard a lot of positive reviews. The only negative thing I heard multiple times is that the rents do not seem to be as competitive as the other options in town.
Interesting. I'll have to look into that during the ASD visit in April.

Thanks for sharing.

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:44 am

bievmic wrote:
TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Pretty much official over here. Just rescinded my applications at every school except UIUC and a waitlist.

Looking through some past threads it seems like a lot of the apartment complexes start taking apps this time of year or start their waitlists for the fall. I'm thinking about heading down to campus soon to check them out and possibly put my name down.
Yeah I just don't know if I even want to try to find a roommate or just get a one bedroom for my first year.
I've heard pros and cons for both. I feel like I'd be more likely to room alone for my 2nd or 3rd years..
I'm pretty set on a 1BDR myself. I see the benefits of having a roommate for sure but I like having a private study space.

After deposits are due it might be a good idea to start a list of complexes people are applying to/visited. Then as others join the thread they can make an informed decision AND know where fellow classmates will be.
Last edited by TheFutureElleWoods on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Halfthaifullusa

New

Post by Halfthaifullusa » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 am

Finally got responses back from all schools and def attending (waitlisted at wash st louis but ill take the money and illinois regardless)

If anyone has good ideas on furnished 1bdr please pm me, thanks.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:38 am

Also once everyone has a netid and a school email address you will be able to call the tenant union. It's a free service the school provides where they will review leases and they keep complaints on file about all of the different management companies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

illini2013

New

Post by illini2013 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:13 am

3L here, if any of you have questions about school or housing happy to answer via PM or thread

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:20 am

Did you guys get your acceptance letter by email or mail?

My current address is different than my permanent also, if received by mail which address will they ship it to?

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:21 am

kinglew wrote:Did you guys get your acceptance letter by email or mail?

My current address is different than my permanent also, if received by mail which address will they ship it to?
I found out via email from the dean, then about a week later received the welcome package in the mail.

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:53 pm

Kind of nervous, since I just received an e-mail from Illinois Graduate Admissions saying that my application is under review. I have already been admitted to the college of law. Has anyone else here received such an e-mail? If so, is it normal & is there a chance that I won't be admitted by the graduate admissions office?

I am concerned because this is the first instance I have heard of having to be accepted at both the law school and graduate admissions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

illini2013

New

Post by illini2013 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:Kind of nervous, since I just received an e-mail from Illinois Graduate Admissions saying that my application is under review. I have already been admitted to the college of law. Has anyone else here received such an e-mail? If so, is it normal & is there a chance that I won't be admitted by the graduate admissions office?

I am concerned because this is the first instance I have heard of having to be accepted at both the law school and graduate admissions.
Did you apply for a joint program? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If you got accepted to the law school you are fine for law school either way. Different admissions office. If you are nervous, just email the admissions office and ask if the email was sent in mistake, which I am sure it was

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:04 pm

illini2013 wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Kind of nervous, since I just received an e-mail from Illinois Graduate Admissions saying that my application is under review. I have already been admitted to the college of law. Has anyone else here received such an e-mail? If so, is it normal & is there a chance that I won't be admitted by the graduate admissions office?

Did you apply for a joint program? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If you got accepted to the law school you are fine for law school either way. Different admissions office. If you are nervous, just email the admissions office and ask if the email was sent in mistake, which I am sure it was
Yeah, I e-mailed them and cleared it up. Nothing to worry about.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:10 pm

Anyone have a good poll idea?

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:57 pm

bievmic wrote:Anyone have a good poll idea?
Level of interest in UIUC law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Halfthaifullusa

New

Post by Halfthaifullusa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:37 am

kinglew wrote:Did you guys get your acceptance letter by email or mail?

Email first, then reg mail. They sent to my current address (halfway across the world), not to permanent address (Chicago-land)

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:17 pm

For those going to April 1 open house..

Are you planning on arriving the Thursday night before and leaving Friday or Saturday?

I just realized how early of a start Friday is, but also figure people might go out on Friday night?

Meh so much planning. Not sure if I wanna do 2 nights at a hotel.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Supercalifragilistic wrote:For those going to April 1 open house..

Are you planning on arriving the Thursday night before and leaving Friday or Saturday?

I just realized how early of a start Friday is, but also figure people might go out on Friday night?

I live just under two hours an hour away so I will probably come and leave the same day but going out sounds cool if a group is actually going

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:31 am

Im arriving the afternoon prior to the open house, March 31. And yes, there was mention of going out for drinks on Friday night in the e-mail I received from the admissions office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:37 am

Question for those who have successfully negotiated scholarships at UIUC:

How long did the process take and was UIUC amenable to increasing your scholarship offer? And just to confirm, who did you e-mail regarding this scholarship negotiation?

I'm contemplating e-mailing UIUC with the offers I have received from other schools right now or waiting until after the open house. I feel like I'll be able to stand more firmly after the open house and be more sincere with my request. What do the rest of you think?

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:32 pm

bievmic wrote:

I live just under two hours an hour away so I will probably come and leave the same day but going out sounds cool if a group is actually going
I'm booked to come in the 31st and leave on Saturday so I would be down for going out on Friday.

illini2013

New

Post by illini2013 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:Question for those who have successfully negotiated scholarships at UIUC:

How long did the process take and was UIUC amenable to increasing your scholarship offer? And just to confirm, who did you e-mail regarding this scholarship negotiation?

I'm contemplating e-mailing UIUC with the offers I have received from other schools right now or waiting until after the open house. I feel like I'll be able to stand more firmly after the open house and be more sincere with my request. What do the rest of you think?

Email now since there will likely be more scholarship $ available now than in April. Email Becky Ray and you should hear back within a couple days. If your numbers are really strong and you tell them that you will go to UIUC, they'll give you more $

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:17 pm

illini2013 wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Question for those who have successfully negotiated scholarships at UIUC:

Email now since there will likely be more scholarship $ available now than in April. Email Becky Ray and you should hear back within a couple days. If your numbers are really strong and you tell them that you will go to UIUC, they'll give you more $
Alright thanks!

By the way, have you ever heard of students getting unsolicited raises to their scholarship offers later in the application cycle, such as in the summer months?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”