Illinois College of Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Chambana?

Earlier than August 1st
No votes
August 1st-3rd
22%
August 4th-6th
11%
August 7th-9th
No votes
August 10th-12th
22%
August 13th-15th
44%
Later than August 15th
No votes

Total votes: 9

Hyper-Chicken

New

Re: Illinois College of Law Class of 2019

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:12 pm

This is a complete off topic post that has nothing to do with anything important (housing, classes, quitting your job early because it sucks).

I am an avid (probably delusional) fantasy football player. I'd like to start a dynasty league with incoming 1Ls. If you aren't familiar with dynasty leagues and like FF, basically, you keep your team for life, trade players in the offseason, and then add rookies to your team every year. The whole idea of the league would be to bond as law students (and then lawyers) over the NFL (and all its glory). We could do a low buy-in at $20. Winner takes 60%, 2nd takes 30%, 3rd takes 10%.

If anyone is actually interested in joining a league, shoot me an email at joeyeoman@gmail.com, message me on this forum, or comment on this post.

Can't wait for school to start!

LadyProspero

Bronze

Post by LadyProspero » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:44 pm

If there are any current UIUC law students lurking in this thread, could you send me a PM please? Thanks!!

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:09 pm

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:
nisalurve wrote:
TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Just saw the email from Rebecca Ray about the dates to watch

Looks like the countdown to receiving our schedules and section list is July 31st!
That's so far awaaaaay!

67 Days Until Orientation!!! (but yes...the wait is killing me)
yayayayayayay

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Supercalifragilistic wrote:
beardlaw wrote:something neat: you can see our chosen (for the Fall, at least) 1L professors if you click the 1L classes on the course catalog (https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2016/fall/LAW).
Dean Amar teaches Basic Constitutional Law & Individual Rights.. that's so cool.

Not sure what's up with that class. By some appearances it doesn't seem like the standard con law class which is Law 606 (https://www.law.illinois.edu/academics/curriculum) and part of the 1L curriculum. His is LAW 201 Basic Constitutional Law & Individual Rights. Perhaps he's teaching it for undergrads given his interest as a dean to bring together the college of law with other parts of the university?

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:47 pm

beardlaw wrote:
beardlaw wrote:something neat: you can see our chosen (for the Fall, at least) 1L professors if you click the 1L classes on the course catalog (https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2016/fall/LAW).
Dean Amar teaches Basic Constitutional Law & Individual Rights.. that's so cool.

Not sure what's up with that class. By some appearances it doesn't seem like the standard con law class which is Law 606 (https://www.law.illinois.edu/academics/curriculum) and part of the 1L curriculum. His is LAW 201 Basic Constitutional Law & Individual Rights. Perhaps he's teaching it for undergrads given his interest as a dean to bring together the college of law with other parts of the university?

That makes sense. If you look at some of the other 1L courses they say Open (Restricted) and then mention only being available to law students. The Con Law class just says Open with no restrictions whatsoever.

That would be AMAZING to take Con Law from Amar though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:26 am

beardlaw wrote:

That makes sense. If you look at some of the other 1L courses they say Open (Restricted) and then mention only being available to law students. The Con Law class just says Open with no restrictions whatsoever.

and if you look at this past term (https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2016/spring/LAW), both are offered...

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Question for any current students out there -

On the academic calendar website for the law school (https://www.law.illinois.edu/academic-calendar) it lists the various breaks we have throughout the year.

It looks like we have classes till the 5th and then start final exams on the 7th (meaning there's possibly only one day between your last class and your first final)

With finals starting so early in December I was wondering what people do for Thanksgiving? Do most people go home or do they stay in town so they can be near the library/all their books to study? I can't imagine being away for a whole week (less than 2 weeks before the final).

If any current student has any insight into what people do I would appreciate it!

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:27 am

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Question for any current students out there -

On the academic calendar website for the law school (https://www.law.illinois.edu/academic-calendar) it lists the various breaks we have throughout the year.

It looks like we have classes till the 5th and then start final exams on the 7th (meaning there's possibly only one day between your last class and your first final)

With finals starting so early in December I was wondering what people do for Thanksgiving? Do most people go home or do they stay in town so they can be near the library/all their books to study? I can't imagine being away for a whole week (less than 2 weeks before the final).

If any current student has any insight into what people do I would appreciate it!
For some/most of your classes, you'll most likely finish before the actual last day of instruction, and your first final won't be on the first day of finals, so you'll have more time to study.

A lot of what you do over break depends on how you handle the early parts of the semester. I started outlning early (and I got most of my outlines from upperclassmen), so over break (I went home, and most did) I did flash cards and practice exams. Others either started outlining or did a lot of it over break.

I know you're going to have this general freak out about 1L year, but it's really about time management, and if you do it right, you won't have to kill yourself over break, but of course, you need to do what works for you.

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:04 am

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:

For some/most of your classes, you'll most likely finish before the actual last day of instruction, and your first final won't be on the first day of finals, so you'll have more time to study.

A lot of what you do over break depends on how you handle the early parts of the semester. I started outlning early (and I got most of my outlines from upperclassmen), so over break (I went home, and most did) I did flash cards and practice exams. Others either started outlining or did a lot of it over break.

I know you're going to have this general freak out about 1L year, but it's really about time management, and if you do it right, you won't have to kill yourself over break, but of course, you need to do what works for you.
Thank you!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:37 am

beardlaw wrote:
beardlaw wrote:

and if you look at this past term (https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2016/spring/LAW), both are offered...

Ooh shucks.

jsp13g

New

Post by jsp13g » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:58 am

Anyone Still looking for a roommate? I know I'm really late in the game here but please PM me!

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:47 am

Couldn't agree more with person above me. Let me add that breaks tend to not be breaks where you run off to Waikiki, but weeks where you spend most of the time studying. Obviously spend Thanksgiving with friends or family, but be sure to use your down time very productively.

By the time breaks roll around your books may only be mildly helpful as study tools. You should have your outline done or close to it. I tend to find it more helpful to write my own outline, then plug gaps in it with outlines from older students. Also getting the Examples and Explanations books and doing practice exams can be very helpful. You'll notice none of these things require being near your books or sitting in the law library. Finding a nice coffee shop in your hometown can be just as good.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:56 am

isuperserial wrote:

Couldn't agree more with person above me. Let me add that breaks tend to not be breaks where you run off to Waikiki, but weeks where you spend most of the time studying. Obviously spend Thanksgiving with friends or family, but be sure to use your down time very productively.

By the time breaks roll around your books may only be mildly helpful as study tools. You should have your outline done or close to it. I tend to find it more helpful to write my own outline, then plug gaps in it with outlines from older students. Also getting the Examples and Explanations books and doing practice exams can be very helpful. You'll notice none of these things require being near your books or sitting in the law library. Finding a nice coffee shop in your hometown can be just as good.
I'd also add that being at the library during finals can be stressful and counterproductive for a number of reasons. After first semester, I avoided studying in the library at all costs. Studying on campus during your first semester has its benefits, but once you figure out what works, being physically in the building is unnecessary.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Last edited by beardlaw on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:48 pm

beardlaw wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

I'd also add that being at the library during finals can be stressful and counterproductive for a number of reasons. After first semester, I avoided studying in the library at all costs. Studying on campus during your first semester has its benefits, but once you figure out what works, being physically in the building is unnecessary.

Does the law library provide access to professors' older exams ? I was reading a TLS guide to doing well during 1L and that one, among others, suggests getting your hands on them as soon as possible. There is an old exam archive post but Illinois' link is no longer available (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=122453).
They're available on the intranet site. The library has some on file. Professors will also have one/two they are willing to share.

"As soon as possible" is a bit of an overstatement-you can technically get your hands on them the first day of class, but you won't know what you're doing. I'd suggest waiting until at least Halloween before you seriously consider taking practice exams. On the other hand, the first time you see a law-school exam shouldn't be on the day of your first exam.

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:29 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
beardlaw wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

Does the law library provide access to professors' older exams ? I was reading a TLS guide to doing well during 1L and that one, among others, suggests getting your hands on them as soon as possible. There is an old exam archive post but Illinois' link is no longer available (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=122453).
They're available on the intranet site. The library has some on file. Professors will also have one/two they are willing to share.

"As soon as possible" is a bit of an overstatement-you can technically get your hands on them the first day of class, but you won't know what you're doing. I'd suggest waiting until at least Halloween before you seriously consider taking practice exams. On the other hand, the first time you see a law-school exam shouldn't be on the day of your first exam.

Yeah makes sense. Not sure how/why you'd want to practice before your outline for the class is near complete... TLS advice posts must always be taken with a grain of salt, I've learned. In any case, glad to hear theres an archive on the intranet site when it is time come later in the semester.

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:25 am

Question for current students - do you remember when you received your assignments for the first day of classes? Just wondering if it was with your course/section list or later (or do assignments come during orientation perhaps?).

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fallingup77

New

Post by fallingup77 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:08 am

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Question for current students - do you remember when you received your assignments for the first day of classes? Just wondering if it was with your course/section list or later (or do assignments come during orientation perhaps?).

Thanks!
You will find your first day assignments on the intranet. Profs will post them whenever they feel like it. Some do it pretty early, others will give you less time. At some point, you will receive your log-in for the intranet and you will be able to access each course's information. I don't remember exactly when I was able to access the assignments, but I had enough time to be prepared for the first day.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:48 am

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Question for current students - do you remember when you received your assignments for the first day of classes? Just wondering if it was with your course/section list or later (or do assignments come during orientation perhaps?).

Thanks!
No need to stress about this. As was said previously, Profs post the first day assignments on the intranet or email them to you. IIRC, most classes 1L year begin with an easy syllabus class to start off and don't really dive into the texts until the second or third day.

Just make sure you have your books ready to go, and you'll be fine.

jsp13g

New

Post by jsp13g » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 am

Not sure if this question has been addressed but..
Is there a facebook group for our class? I've been looking and I can't find one. if so please send me a link! :D

Hyper-Chicken

New

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:48 am

jsp13g wrote:Not sure if this question has been addressed but..
Is there a facebook group for our class? I've been looking and I can't find one. if so please send me a link! :D
It's a private group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/531496910353764/

You might need an invite from Rebecca Ray.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:50 pm

Anyone having issues getting their travel reimbursement back?

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Only 37 more days until I can quit my job. Praise Morgan Freeman :D

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:25 pm

mornincounselor wrote:Anyone having issues getting their travel reimbursement back?
I received mine from ASW the first week of May. If you haven't heard anything yet I would give them a call.

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Is anyone familiar with the mass transit system? Debating on whether to buy a parking permit or not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”