Illinois College of Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Chambana?

Earlier than August 1st
No votes
August 1st-3rd
22%
August 4th-6th
11%
August 7th-9th
No votes
August 10th-12th
22%
August 13th-15th
44%
Later than August 15th
No votes

Total votes: 9

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Re: Illinois College of Law Class of 2019

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Tue May 31, 2016 6:48 pm

Just officially signed my lease!!!

When are people planning on moving in? I'm thinking about coming in a week or so early to have time to set-up the apartment and shop for books before orientation.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Tue May 31, 2016 9:39 pm

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Just officially signed my lease!!!

When are people planning on moving in? I'm thinking about coming in a week or so early to have time to set-up the apartment and shop for books before orientation.
The scheduled move in day for my building is August 13th, but I am going to see if I can move in earlier. What day does the orientation start?

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Tue May 31, 2016 11:01 pm

bievmic wrote:

The scheduled move in day for my building is August 13th, but I am going to see if I can move in earlier. What day does the orientation start?
August 17th

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:40 am

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:
bievmic wrote:

August 17th
Yeah I'm definitely going to try to move in earlier.

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 am

bievmic wrote:
bievmic wrote:

August 17th
moving in August 1 and signing my lease some time this week! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:02 pm

GrandJC wrote:
bievmic wrote:
bievmic wrote:

August 17th
moving in August 1 and signing my lease some time this week! :)
I'm moving in Aug 10 so I'll have exactly a week before orientation. Glad to hear a lot of people will be around early too!

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:06 pm

P.S. They said we won't get our section assignments and class list until maybe late July or early August. The wait it killing me.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:41 pm

Supercalifragilistic wrote:P.S. They said we won't get our section assignments and class list until maybe late July or early August. The wait it killing me.
I'm kind of glad they don't tell us really early. I would totally be the guy to buy the books and start reading early even though I know it won't help. It would just make me more anxious.

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:54 pm

bievmic wrote:
Supercalifragilistic wrote:P.S. They said we won't get our section assignments and class list until maybe late July or early August. The wait it killing me.
I'm kind of glad they don't tell us really early. I would totally be the guy to buy the books and start reading early even though I know it won't help. It would just make me more anxious.
I'm right there with you Supercalifragilistic - The wait feels so long!!!

Also, I want to get our book list so I can start hunting down the books online so I don't have to spend my entire budget on books.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:02 am

Does anyone know how the lack of a state budget will affect the law school? I am actually getting pretty concerned especially with the email that was sent by the university's president to employees yesterday..

Hyper-Chicken

New

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 am

GrandJC wrote:Does anyone know how the lack of a state budget will affect the law school? I am actually getting pretty concerned especially with the email that was sent by the university's president to employees yesterday..
The Dean of the law school sent an email about a month ago on this topic. Here is his email:

~~~~~

I am so delighted you are planning to become a member of the University of Illinois College of Law Class of 2019. As you have no doubt heard and perhaps witnessed firsthand by now, we have a first-rate faculty that is both interdisciplinary and distinctively engaged in law and professional training, a large and extremely accomplished alumni base that can be tapped to help support the school in a variety of ways, a talented and collegial student body, and a world-class university setting with special access to a major metropolitan market.

You also may have heard that the state of Illinois is in the midst of a budget impasse. Notwithstanding this impasse - and regardless of when a budget is actually passed - I want to assure you that making law school more affordable continues to be among my highest priorities. Our commitment to honoring the Illinois Guarantee - frozen tuition rate over all three years, and unconditional scholarships, as long as the recipient remains enrolled - will not change. In fact, Illinois Law has been able to continue offering rather generous levels of financial aid at a time when most state institutions are pulling back those efforts.

Our investment in our students and our program have not gone unnoticed. The National Jurist ranked Illinois Law as a top school for careers in government, and we were ranked 17th in a recent study that evaluates the top 100 law schools based on the number of alumni who have gone on to be partners at Big Law firms. Our success in helping place students in public, private, and public-interest law jobs is rare; only two other law schools were recognized within the top 20 on both of those lists.

In addition, Illinois Law continues to bring in highly influential, well-respected public figures and legal scholars, for the benefit of our students and the entire campus community. Just in the past few months, we have hosted Bob Woodward, George Will, New York Times Supreme Court reporter Adam Liptak, Pamela Karlan (Stanford Law), Annette Gordon-Reed (Harvard Law), and Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. And that is just a sampling.

Despite the budget impasse, the future at Illinois Law is remarkably bright. I do hope you reach out to me directly should you have any further questions about our commitment to affordability and accessibility at Illinois Law, and I look forward to welcoming you to campus personally in August.

Warm regards,
~~~~~~~~

Hyper-Chicken

New

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:10 am

Hyper-Chicken wrote:
GrandJC wrote:Does anyone know how the lack of a state budget will affect the law school? I am actually getting pretty concerned especially with the email that was sent by the university's president to employees yesterday..
The Dean of the law school sent an email about a month ago on this topic. Here is his email:

~~~~~

I am so delighted you are planning to become a member of the University of Illinois College of Law Class of 2019. As you have no doubt heard and perhaps witnessed firsthand by now, we have a first-rate faculty that is both interdisciplinary and distinctively engaged in law and professional training, a large and extremely accomplished alumni base that can be tapped to help support the school in a variety of ways, a talented and collegial student body, and a world-class university setting with special access to a major metropolitan market.

You also may have heard that the state of Illinois is in the midst of a budget impasse. Notwithstanding this impasse - and regardless of when a budget is actually passed - I want to assure you that making law school more affordable continues to be among my highest priorities. Our commitment to honoring the Illinois Guarantee - frozen tuition rate over all three years, and unconditional scholarships, as long as the recipient remains enrolled - will not change. In fact, Illinois Law has been able to continue offering rather generous levels of financial aid at a time when most state institutions are pulling back those efforts.

Our investment in our students and our program have not gone unnoticed. The National Jurist ranked Illinois Law as a top school for careers in government, and we were ranked 17th in a recent study that evaluates the top 100 law schools based on the number of alumni who have gone on to be partners at Big Law firms. Our success in helping place students in public, private, and public-interest law jobs is rare; only two other law schools were recognized within the top 20 on both of those lists.

In addition, Illinois Law continues to bring in highly influential, well-respected public figures and legal scholars, for the benefit of our students and the entire campus community. Just in the past few months, we have hosted Bob Woodward, George Will, New York Times Supreme Court reporter Adam Liptak, Pamela Karlan (Stanford Law), Annette Gordon-Reed (Harvard Law), and Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. And that is just a sampling.

Despite the budget impasse, the future at Illinois Law is remarkably bright. I do hope you reach out to me directly should you have any further questions about our commitment to affordability and accessibility at Illinois Law, and I look forward to welcoming you to campus personally in August.

Warm regards,
~~~~~~~~
As for my opinion:

The Law School has a very large endowment, and I am not concerned about scholarships. Hopefully, this will not impact the number of faculty members we can take classes from or the career services.

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:19 am

That is what I am more concerned about.. faculty and staffing and attracting quality professors and keeping them at the law school, more so than scholarships.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:52 am

bievmic wrote:
I'm right there with you Supercalifragilistic - The wait feels so long!!!

Also, I want to get our book list so I can start hunting down the books online so I don't have to spend my entire budget on books.
exactly re: finding cheap books online, etc.

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:11 pm

something neat: you can see our chosen (for the Fall, at least) 1L professors if you click the 1L classes on the course catalog (https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2016/fall/LAW).

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:32 pm

beardlaw wrote:something neat: you can see our chosen (for the Fall, at least) 1L professors if you click the 1L classes on the course catalog (https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2016/fall/LAW).
Dean Amar teaches Basic Constitutional Law & Individual Rights.. that's so cool.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:32 pm

beardlaw wrote:something neat: you can see our chosen (for the Fall, at least) 1L professors if you click the 1L classes on the course catalog (https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2016/fall/LAW).
Dean Amar teaches Basic Constitutional Law & Individual Rights.. that's so cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:15 pm

I can't wait to see which set of classes and professors I'm assigned, i.e. what my section assignment is..I don't imagine we'll know till August? I'm also curious about our 1L class size...

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:45 pm

beardlaw wrote:I can't wait to see which set of classes and professors I'm assigned, i.e. what my section assignment is..I don't imagine we'll know till August? I'm also curious about our 1L class size...
When section assignments are announced, I'd be happy to give any advice (if I can). Based on the past few years, I would expect a class size of ~150.

Ms4life

New

Post by Ms4life » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:56 am

Anyone still looking for a place to live? If so, pm me. We have a spot available at 75 Armory on the 5th floor, and you'd get to live with some 2L's who will give you advice and outlines that'll help you get through the first year!

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Ms4life wrote:Anyone still looking for a place to live? If so, pm me. We have a spot available at 75 Armory on the 5th floor, and you'd get to live with some 2L's who will give you advice and outlines that'll help you get through the first year!
Why was this not posted sooner? :cry:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Just saw the email from Rebecca Ray about the dates to watch

Looks like the countdown to receiving our schedules and section list is July 31st!

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:33 am

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Just saw the email from Rebecca Ray about the dates to watch

Looks like the countdown to receiving our schedules and section list is July 31st!
That's so far awaaaaay!

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:34 am

bievmic wrote:
Ms4life wrote:Anyone still looking for a place to live? If so, pm me. We have a spot available at 75 Armory on the 5th floor, and you'd get to live with some 2L's who will give you advice and outlines that'll help you get through the first year!
Why was this not posted sooner? :cry:
This

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:36 am

nisalurve wrote:
TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Just saw the email from Rebecca Ray about the dates to watch

That's so far awaaaaay!

67 Days Until Orientation!!! (but yes...the wait is killing me)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”