Illinois College of Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Chambana?

Earlier than August 1st
No votes
August 1st-3rd
22%
August 4th-6th
11%
August 7th-9th
No votes
August 10th-12th
22%
August 13th-15th
44%
Later than August 15th
No votes

Total votes: 9

bievmic

New

Re: Illinois College of Law Class of 2019

Post by bievmic » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:09 pm

nisalurve wrote:Is anyone familiar with the mass transit system? Debating on whether to buy a parking permit or not.
For me it depends on how far from campus you're planning on living. If you're relatively close and there is a route that takes you near the law school it's fine, but I know that I wouldn't want to get on one bus just to get off at a stop to switch buses. I think you should make it as easy as possible to get there just to make your life easier. Proximity was the main reason I chose the building I'm living in. I will be pretty close to the law school and there is a bus stop across the street from my place so I can go straight there in less than 10 minutes.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:16 pm

New poll is up

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:12 pm

bievmic wrote:
nisalurve wrote:Is anyone familiar with the mass transit system? Debating on whether to buy a parking permit or not.
For me it depends on how far from campus you're planning on living. If you're relatively close and there is a route that takes you near the law school it's fine, but I know that I wouldn't want to get on one bus just to get off at a stop to switch buses. I think you should make it as easy as possible to get there just to make your life easier. Proximity was the main reason I chose the building I'm living in. I will be pretty close to the law school and there is a bus stop across the street from my place so I can go straight there in less than 10 minutes.
Looked on Google Maps and it looks like it's more efficient for me to just bike or drive. Getting on a bus would mean walking for 7 minutes and then riding for 3, not really worth it in my opinion. My apartment isn't more than a 15 minute walk, 7 minute drive/bike ride away, so I should be fine. I wish that I would've found housing earlier though, it seems like everything close was gone by the time I looked.

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:31 pm

nisalurve wrote:
bievmic wrote:
Looked on Google Maps and it looks like it's more efficient for me to just bike or drive. Getting on a bus would mean walking for 7 minutes and then riding for 3, not really worth it in my opinion. My apartment isn't more than a 15 minute walk, 7 minute drive/bike ride away, so I should be fine. I wish that I would've found housing earlier though, it seems like everything close was gone by the time I looked.
If i walked from the apartment I leased, it would take me 37 mins to reach the law school, and I thought I found a place fairly close...but I guess if close isn't even 15 minutes from, as you say, I thought wrong. 15 min bus ride, here. Planning on using the bus daily. Taking it back afterwards and driving back to campus after 5pm for free parking as needed.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:50 am

beardlaw wrote:
nisalurve wrote:
bievmic wrote:
If i walked from the apartment I leased, it would take me 37 mins to reach the law school, and I thought I found a place fairly close...but I guess if close isn't even 15 minutes from, as you say, I thought wrong. 15 min bus ride, here. Planning on using the bus daily. Taking it back afterwards and driving back to campus after 5pm for free parking as needed.
Yeah I looked at several places that far away and I knew that it would drive me crazy. If I had to walk I'm about 10 minutes away. I just wanted to be close in case I have to say late or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:50 pm

I just called the parking office and the dude on the phone said that E15 (right next to the law school building) and E24 (ARC parking) are still open. 660 bucks for the year. Id be open to consider it but he himself didn't really know when the permits will on sale, which I didn't really understand. He said that sometime in the next 2-3 weeks and I can monitor the website. Anyone know whats up? Why the lack of info?

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:36 pm

beardlaw wrote:I just called the parking office and the dude on the phone said that E15 (right next to the law school building) and E24 (ARC parking) are still open. 660 bucks for the year. Id be open to consider it but he himself didn't really know when the permits will on sale, which I didn't really understand. He said that sometime in the next 2-3 weeks and I can monitor the website. Anyone know whats up? Why the lack of info?
I'm pretty sure E15 is staff only. That's what all of the parking maps say. I've heard that most people park in E14 which is across from assembly hall. It has free shuttles that run all over campus.

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:21 pm

bievmic wrote:
beardlaw wrote:I just called the parking office and the dude on the phone said that E15 (right next to the law school building) and E24 (ARC parking) are still open. 660 bucks for the year. Id be open to consider it but he himself didn't really know when the permits will on sale, which I didn't really understand. He said that sometime in the next 2-3 weeks and I can monitor the website. Anyone know whats up? Why the lack of info?
I'm pretty sure E15 is staff only. That's what all of the parking maps say. I've heard that most people park in E14 which is across from assembly hall. It has free shuttles that run all over campus.
Really? I guess I'm hearing mixed things regarding E15. Anyone, contrary to what I was told is possible as of today, secure a parking permit already?

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 pm

beardlaw wrote:
bievmic wrote:
Really? I guess I'm hearing mixed things regarding E15. Anyone, contrary to what I was told is possible as of today, secure a parking permit already?
I called Parking a couple months back and the person I spoke to also confirmed that students could buy passes for the law school lot. Of course there is the chance that we both spoke to the same person. They also told me that I should call back around the last 2 weeks of July

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:27 pm

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:
beardlaw wrote:
bievmic wrote:
I called Parking a couple months back and the person I spoke to also confirmed that students could buy passes for the law school lot. Of course there is the chance that we both spoke to the same person. They also told me that I should call back around the last 2 weeks of July
Students can buy a pass for E-15, but I think it has a pretty long wait list. Some students didn't get it until 3L.

middlewesterner

New

Post by middlewesterner » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:14 am

Still need housing?

I signed a lease for an apartment in Urbana, when I was sure I'd be attending UIUC. Then a couple weeks later, I switched my enrollment to U of Wisconsin. I need to find someone to replace me on this lease ASAP.

PM for details! It's a furnished bedroom in a 2BR, 1.5ba apartment in a quiet residential area of Urbana. Bonus: flatmate is a 2nd-year UIUC College of Law student, I met him when I toured the place ... he's early/mid 20's, nice guy. Move in 8/1 (or earlier), 12-month lease.

Hyper-Chicken

New

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:40 pm

middlewesterner wrote:Still need housing?

I signed a lease for an apartment in Urbana, when I was sure I'd be attending UIUC. Then a couple weeks later, I switched my enrollment to U of Wisconsin. I need to find someone to replace me on this lease ASAP.

PM for details! It's a furnished bedroom in a 2BR, 1.5ba apartment in a quiet residential area of Urbana. Bonus: flatmate is a 2nd-year UIUC College of Law student, I met him when I toured the place ... he's early/mid 20's, nice guy. Move in 8/1 (or earlier), 12-month lease.
Hey, I just sent you an email.

Hyper-Chicken

New

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Just gave my boss my two-week notice. It's starting to get real.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 am

Hyper-Chicken wrote:Just gave my boss my two-week notice. It's starting to get real.
I've got three weeks. Can't wait to be out of here.

Hyper-Chicken

New

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:05 am

bievmic wrote:
Hyper-Chicken wrote:Just gave my boss my two-week notice. It's starting to get real.
Boom! July is going to fly!

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:32 am

Hyper-Chicken wrote:
bievmic wrote:
Boom! July is going to fly!
I'm on my 2 week countdown too!! Last week my boss said I have "short-timers" - kinda like "senioritis" - and that he's jealous I get to stop working soon. lolol Chill AF.

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:19 pm

totally didn't see this, and incase others didn't either : https://www.law.illinois.edu/content/1L ... ummary.pdf

If this kind of stuff is pasted on the class Facebook page, would people consider posting it here ? I haven't bought Facebook yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:00 pm

beardlaw wrote:totally didn't see this, and incase others didn't either : https://www.law.illinois.edu/content/1L ... ummary.pdf

If this kind of stuff is pasted on the class Facebook page, would people consider posting it here ? I haven't bought Facebook yet.
Will do! There have just been a lot of Pokemon posts lately...

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks. I haven't made*** a Facebook yet! I'm happy to see that the Illinois courses site was wrong re the absence of civ pro for us, and we can potentially be assigned a small section for it. All the profs look great.. Can barely wait to see what my section assignment/schedule is.

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:39 am

beardlaw wrote:totally didn't see this, and incase others didn't either : https://www.law.illinois.edu/content/1L ... ummary.pdf

This is awesome! Thanks so much for posting!!!

I'm hoping that we will get some nugget of information about sections etc. in the admitted student newsletter this week.

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
beardlaw wrote:
bievmic wrote:
Students can buy a pass for E-15, but I think it has a pretty long wait list. Some students didn't get it until 3L.
I just called UIUC Parking and passes are officially available for purchase. Also the gentleman said that there are still a couple of spaces available in the E15 lot so if you were looking for that I would call them asap!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
beardlaw wrote:
bievmic wrote:
;
I just called UIUC Parking and passes are officially available for purchase. Also the gentleman said that there are still a couple of spaces available in the E15 lot so if you were looking for that I would call them asap!!!
If you have E15 and we're in the same section, can you just pick me up every morning? kthxbye ;-)

beardlaw

New

Post by beardlaw » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:24 pm

I'd love to know from current students and others about meal plans? If the food is good and available close to the law school, I imagine I'd be tempted by the convenience once and awhile assuming its not a total rip off. Also if (big if) I take on a somewhat serious lifting regimen during the school year, nothing beats the variety of buffet style dining for food. Are there on campus dining options with healthy options that aren't like freshman residence dining halls -- id feel too awkward to even come close to those places? Ones where graduate students mostly congregate? Are full meals available at the law school itself?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:49 pm

beardlaw wrote:I'd love to know from current students and others about meal plans? If the food is good and available close to the law school, I imagine I'd be tempted by the convenience once and awhile assuming its not a total rip off. Also if (big if) I take on a somewhat serious lifting regimen during the school year, nothing beats the variety of buffet style dining for food. Are there on campus dining options with healthy options that aren't like freshman residence dining halls -- id feel too awkward to even come close to those places? Ones where graduate students mostly congregate? Are full meals available at the law school itself?
Yeah, these don't exist for the law school. You're pretty much on your own. There's a cafe at the law building, but it's not that good.

You won't find a ton of options near the school. Most people either bring a lunch or go off campus.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:36 pm

You could always sign up for one the campus meal plans and go to one of the dining halls on campus. The food is actually pretty good and there is a lot of variety, especially at Ikenberry. FAR/PAR and the ike are pretty close to law school (less than a 10 minute walk). I have no idea what the cost is though. It was part of my housing in undergrad and I never really looked at the cost of the meal plan.

Here I found the plans and their cost.
http://housing.illinois.edu/resources/r ... -plan-only

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”