Illinois College of Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Chambana?

Earlier than August 1st
No votes
August 1st-3rd
22%
August 4th-6th
11%
August 7th-9th
No votes
August 10th-12th
22%
August 13th-15th
44%
Later than August 15th
No votes

Total votes: 9

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Re: Illinois College of Law Class of 2019

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Tue May 10, 2016 5:21 pm

bievmic wrote:
Supercalifragilistic wrote:
bievmic wrote:So when is everyone else quitting their job?I have to survive until the end of July.
My last day is July 22! Let the countdown begin.
The sad part is that as soon as finals start we will all miss how simple work was.
haha i know right.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Tue May 10, 2016 6:35 pm

bievmic wrote:
bievmic wrote:So when is everyone else quitting their job?I have to survive until the end of July.
The sad part is that as soon as finals start we will all miss how simple work was.
haha i know right.
My boss got fired today so things just got a lot less simple for me. Seriously cannot wait until August.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Tue May 10, 2016 10:58 pm

bievmic wrote:
bievmic wrote:
haha i know right.
My boss got fired today so things just got a lot less simple for me. Seriously cannot wait until August.
dayum.

they posted my job today so i might spend the next couple months training someone new.. kinda was hoping i'd get to chill a little.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Wed May 11, 2016 9:51 am

bievmic wrote:
bievmic wrote:
haha i know right.
dayum.

they posted my job today so i might spend the next couple months training someone new.. kinda was hoping i'd get to chill a little.
Everyone but him had seen it coming for a while. He had basically delegated all of his duties to someone else. If you make yourself that expendable eventually someone will realize. The real problem is that I haven't told anyone I'm quitting.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Thu May 12, 2016 4:39 pm

bievmic wrote:
bievmic wrote:
bievmic wrote:
haha i know right.
dayum.

Everyone but him had seen it coming for a while. He had basically delegated all of his duties to someone else. If you make yourself that expendable eventually someone will realize. The real problem is that I haven't told anyone I'm quitting.
So no one knows you're even "thinking" about law school?? Are you just gonna do 2 weeks or give like a month?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 pm

I told my boss that I was considering it but I never told him it was for sure. Now there is no one left who knows anything about it. I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. I think I'm going to let the dust settle and then tell them about a month before, once things have calmed down. I'm really hoping I don't have to train my replacement.

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Thu May 12, 2016 10:41 pm

I'm getting really excited for this fall but I'm also really terrified. Does anyone else feel this way? All my TLS & Reddit browsing makes me feel like everyone else that's going to law school has their life together, and I definitely do not haha

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Thu May 12, 2016 11:12 pm

nisalurve wrote:I'm getting really excited for this fall but I'm also really terrified. Does anyone else feel this way? All my TLS & Reddit browsing makes me feel like everyone else that's going to law school has their life together, and I definitely do not haha
I'm sure most of us are at least a little nervous. Don't get me wrong I'm really excited too but 1L is one of the most important years of your life. Those that aren't a little nervous probably aren't fully prepared for it. I doubt your life is that dysfunctional. You wouldn't have had the discipline to get in to law school if it was. And Idk how many attorneys you know but most of the ones I know seem to be dysfunctional in some respect. Not sure if that was helpful but I hope so.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Thu May 12, 2016 11:18 pm

nisalurve wrote:I'm getting really excited for this fall but I'm also really terrified. Does anyone else feel this way? All my TLS & Reddit browsing makes me feel like everyone else that's going to law school has their life together, and I definitely do not haha
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Thu May 12, 2016 11:19 pm

bievmic wrote:I told my boss that I was considering it but I never told him it was for sure. Now there is no one left who knows anything about it. I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. I think I'm going to let the dust settle and then tell them about a month before, once things have calmed down. I'm really hoping I don't have to train my replacement.
Yeah I feel like a month is a fair amount of time. Hiring processes can take sooo long.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 am

bievmic wrote:I told my boss that I was considering it but I never told him it was for sure. Now there is no one left who knows anything about it. I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. I think I'm going to let the dust settle and then tell them about a month before, once things have calmed down. I'm really hoping I don't have to train my replacement.
Yeah I feel like a month is a fair amount of time. Hiring processes can take sooo long.
Yeah and if they get mad I'll just tell them someone on the internet said it was ok.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Fri May 13, 2016 3:57 pm

bievmic wrote:
Yeah and if they get mad I'll just tell them someone on the internet said it was ok.
You're welcome.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Fri May 13, 2016 5:30 pm

bievmic wrote:
You're welcome.
This idea is bullet proof. I will kind of miss my job though. I get a lot of free stuff.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Thu May 19, 2016 12:05 am

Signed my lease today. It's getting real.
Also.... driving around town really sucks. I don't know, I'm coming from a city and I'm fairly used to terrible traffic but when I was looking for apartments it always sucked driving around Green St. I'll probably bike as much as possible.

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Thu May 19, 2016 12:12 am

bievmic wrote:
I'm sure most of us are at least a little nervous. Don't get me wrong I'm really excited too but 1L is one of the most important years of your life. Those that aren't a little nervous probably aren't fully prepared for it. I doubt your life is that dysfunctional. You wouldn't have had the discipline to get in to law school if it was. And Idk how many attorneys you know but most of the ones I know seem to be dysfunctional in some respect. Not sure if that was helpful but I hope so.
Very helpful, thanks. And yeah, no, my life isn't really that dysfunctional at all. Just weird seeing people around me being super confident about law school, or life in general, when I'm very worried about doing well. I'm a bit of a perfectionist though and it usually ends up being okay. Case in point: Cried to a professor over failing their final (or so I thought), actually had an A+. I just need to get a grip before the school year starts!

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Sat May 21, 2016 9:07 am

nisalurve wrote:
bievmic wrote:
Very helpful, thanks. And yeah, no, my life isn't really that dysfunctional at all. Just weird seeing people around me being super confident about law school, or life in general, when I'm very worried about doing well. I'm a bit of a perfectionist though and it usually ends up being okay. Case in point: Cried to a professor over failing their final (or so I thought), actually had an A+. I just need to get a grip before the school year starts!
I think it's ok to be nervous as long as you don't let it consume you and take over your life.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Mon May 23, 2016 12:45 pm

nisalurve wrote:Signed my lease today. It's getting real.
Also.... driving around town really sucks. I don't know, I'm coming from a city and I'm fairly used to terrible traffic but when I was looking for apartments it always sucked driving around Green St. I'll probably bike as much as possible.
Congrats! I signed mine a few days ago, too. I agree - much prefer to walk/bike places.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSdreamer19

New

Post by LSdreamer19 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:49 am

I've just started the housing hunt (Recently decided to attend). Is there a certain area law students tend to live? Any advice on where you guys have found the best housing options would be much appreciated!

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Wed May 25, 2016 12:09 pm

LSdreamer19 wrote:I've just started the housing hunt (Recently decided to attend). Is there a certain area law students tend to live? Any advice on where you guys have found the best housing options would be much appreciated!
I don't know about a certain area where everyone lives, but I chose the east side of campus near Urbana because I lived there as an undergrad and it's a pretty quiet area. And you're still on campus and chose to the law school.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Wed May 25, 2016 12:48 pm

LSdreamer19 wrote:I've just started the housing hunt (Recently decided to attend). Is there a certain area law students tend to live? Any advice on where you guys have found the best housing options would be much appreciated!
A good number of law students live in The Village and 75 Armory, though I suspect it may be too late for Armory based on past years. Others live at Place 117, and others live off campus.

FoamTopSmoothie

New

Post by FoamTopSmoothie » Wed May 25, 2016 9:44 pm

I just threw down my deposit and sent out my "I'm sorry, but..." letters to the other schools I've been accepted-to. Now the hard part seems to be finding housing for next year.

Are you still looking? I'm coming from way out of state and would like to room with some fellow law students, if possible. I'm thinking 3-4 bedrooms, preferably in the $500-$600/person range.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hyper-Chicken

New

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Thu May 26, 2016 11:48 am

FoamTopSmoothie wrote:
I just threw down my deposit and sent out my "I'm sorry, but..." letters to the other schools I've been accepted-to. Now the hard part seems to be finding housing for next year.

Are you still looking? I'm coming from way out of state and would like to room with some fellow law students, if possible. I'm thinking 3-4 bedrooms, preferably in the $500-$600/person range.
I have also not signed a lease. I am coming down to CU on June 4th to actually look at homes to buy. I have actually been saving up to buy a home (damn you adulthood). After checking out leases, I am convinced that I am both a genius and an insane person by wanting to do this. I figure if I do buy, I can always rent the place out after 3 years and have some income that way.

FoamTopSmoothie

New

Post by FoamTopSmoothie » Thu May 26, 2016 12:12 pm

Hyper-Chicken wrote:
FoamTopSmoothie wrote:

I have also not signed a lease. I am coming down to CU on June 4th to actually look at homes to buy. I have actually been saving up to buy a home (damn you adulthood). After checking out leases, I am convinced that I am both a genius and an insane person by wanting to do this. I figure if I do buy, I can always rent the place out after 3 years and have some income that way.
Is this an offer to rent out rooms in your house?

Hyper-Chicken

New

Post by Hyper-Chicken » Thu May 26, 2016 12:16 pm

FoamTopSmoothie wrote:
Hyper-Chicken wrote:
FoamTopSmoothie wrote:

Is this an offer to rent out rooms in your house?
I can let you know closer to July.

nisalurve

New

Post by nisalurve » Fri May 27, 2016 4:11 pm

It depends on what you're looking for. A lot of one bedrooms are gone, so I have a few roommates and I'll be living off green street. My roommates are all undergrads, which makes me a little nervous, but mostly seniors and they seem nice and respectful. Also, I could not beat the $350 rent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”