Penn Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
Lithium94

New

Re: Penn Law Class of 2019

Post by Lithium94 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone receive info regarding the Formal Orientation schedule?

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Lithium94 wrote:Maybe I missed it, but did anyone receive info regarding the Formal Orientation schedule?
It looks like they haven't finalized day 2 and day 3 yet, but a description of the first day is up: https://www.law.upenn.edu/admitted/jd/l ... hedule.php

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Ahhh! Just logged into the Penn InTouch thing! Looks like schedules are finally out!!

Lithium94

New

Post by Lithium94 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:15 pm

penn19 wrote:Ahhh! Just logged into the Penn InTouch thing! Looks like schedules are finally out!!
Can confirm! Are these finalized? If so, I'm in Section 3!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Lithium94 wrote:
penn19 wrote:Ahhh! Just logged into the Penn InTouch thing! Looks like schedules are finally out!!
Can confirm! Are these finalized? If so, I'm in Section 3!
Do you guys have your professors/classes listed now then.

I can try and give some feedback about profs in that case if you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lithium94

New

Post by Lithium94 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Auxilio wrote:

Section 3 is:
Civ Pro (Burbank)
Contracts (Wilkinson-Ryan)
Torts (Feldman)
Legal Practice Skills

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Auxilio wrote: Do you guys have your professors/classes listed now then.

Looks like I'm in Section One!

CivPro - Wax
Torts - Klick
Contracts - Galbraith
Legal Practice Skills - Hayes/Barrett

Lithium94

New

Post by Lithium94 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Lithium94 wrote:
Section 3 is:
Civ Pro (Burbank)
Torts (Feldman)
Legal Practice Skills
Also if anyone has books for these classes, willing to negotiate!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Lithium94 wrote:
Auxilio wrote:

Section 3 is:
Civ Pro (Burbank)
Torts (Feldman)
Legal Practice Skills
Quick note that only half of your section has Burbank, the other half has Gelbach (IMO the best prof).

I didn't have any of your profs but I think Wilkinson-Ryan is seen as above-average generally and I've heard good things about Feldman, don't know anything about Burbank sorry. You cut off the LPS teacher but I'm guessing it's Kehner who most people loved I think, she's really fun as far as profs go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:54 pm

slizerd wrote:

CivPro - Wax
Torts - Klick
Contracts - Galbraith
Based on my course list Section 1 does not appear to be split for Civ Pro like the other two are (but is split for LPS) so I don't know if you have a small section or a large Civ Pro class. Wax is fairly widely viewed negatively although some people quite like her, Klick I don't know much about but I think having an Econ PhD would benefit a torts class a lot in being less dry, I loved Galbraith but many found her a bit cold/intimidating—she's incredibly smart (even for Penn Law faculty) and doesn't apoligize for it but I think you can get a lot from that class.

Lithium94

New

Post by Lithium94 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Lithium94 wrote:
Auxilio wrote:

Section 3 is:
Civ Pro (Burbank)
Torts (Feldman)
Legal Practice Skills
Quick note that only half of your section has Burbank, the other half has Gelbach (IMO the best prof).

I didn't have any of your profs but I think Wilkinson-Ryan is seen as above-average generally and I've heard good things about Feldman, don't know anything about Burbank sorry. You cut off the LPS teacher but I'm guessing it's Kehner who most people loved I think, she's really fun as far as profs go.
Oops, you're right - left of LPS. It's Kehner. Thanks for the input and heads up

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Auxilio wrote:
slizerd wrote:

CivPro - Wax
Torts - Klick
Contracts - Galbraith
Based on my course list Section 1 does not appear to be split for Civ Pro like the other two are (but is split for LPS) so I don't know if you have a small section or a large Civ Pro class. Wax is fairly widely viewed negatively although some people quite like her, Klick I don't know much about but I think having an Econ PhD would benefit a torts class a lot in being less dry, I loved Galbraith but many found her a bit cold/intimidating—she's incredibly smart (even for Penn Law faculty) and doesn't apoligize for it but I think you can get a lot from that class.
Thanks for the info! Finally having a schedule is making me psyched but seeing the book prices...ehhh :(

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:13 pm

slizerd wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
slizerd wrote:

CivPro - Wax
Torts - Klick
Contracts - Galbraith
Thanks for the info! Finally having a schedule is making me psyched but seeing the book prices...ehhh :(
LOL literally same, ugh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:21 pm

In other news, is anyone still waiting on their loan disbursement? :shock:

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:27 pm

penn19 wrote:In other news, is anyone still waiting on their loan disbursement? :shock:
Yes :( how am I supposed to buy books without monies?

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:29 pm

slizerd wrote:
penn19 wrote:In other news, is anyone still waiting on their loan disbursement? :shock:
I emailed the loan office today so we'll see. But I think tuition payments are due today Lolol.

scandk

Bronze

Post by scandk » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:19 pm

slizerd wrote:
+1000

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IdiotWind

New

Post by IdiotWind » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Anyone with some general advice about the strategy re textbooks? Is it better to buy new and then try to make some of your money back by selling it (as I saw someone recommend earlier in this thread); if so, how easy is it to sell afterwards? Is it better to bite the bullet and rent even if it's only saving you $40 on a $200 book? Ringbound over hard/paperback? Etc.

Quick edit - If you're buying used, is it hard to get around someone else's highlighting/note-taking? How does buying used stack up against buying new or renting?

eternalrest

New

Post by eternalrest » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:40 am

IdiotWind wrote:Anyone with some general advice about the strategy re textbooks? Is it better to buy new and then try to make some of your money back by selling it (as I saw someone recommend earlier in this thread); if so, how easy is it to sell afterwards? Is it better to bite the bullet and rent even if it's only saving you $40 on a $200 book? Ringbound over hard/paperback? Etc.

Quick edit - If you're buying used, is it hard to get around someone else's highlighting/note-taking? How does buying used stack up against buying new or renting?

For your first semester, I'd buy all new and worry about reselling/how much you can save at the end of the semester. You have enough to worry about right now, buying new and knowing that you have the proper edition free from distracting highlighting will be a stress reliever. Yes, after the first semester, do your best to save money on books through whatever means possible. But I don't think the couple hundred dollars of savings in the first semester is worth it (considering it represents a tiny fraction of the hundreds of thousands of dollars you are likely spending on school).

My mentality going into 1L was to reduce unnecessary complications and stressors—that meant buying all new from a source I knew would deliver my books several days before the start of class. Yes, you can find bargain deals by buying used and by waiting a few days into the semester. But do you want to add "photocopy classmate's casebook" to the list of things that you need to do, especially at the beginning of the most important semester?

TLDR: Take away some stress in your life, buy new books for your first semester that you can get a few days before class starts. Worry about saving money on books after you've settled in to top-law-schools.com.

username131

New

Post by username131 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:47 am

IdiotWind wrote:Anyone with some general advice about the strategy re textbooks? Is it better to buy new and then try to make some of your money back by selling it (as I saw someone recommend earlier in this thread); if so, how easy is it to sell afterwards? Is it better to bite the bullet and rent even if it's only saving you $40 on a $200 book? Ringbound over hard/paperback? Etc.

I prefer used because someone has already marked the Rule, Holding, etc., and highlighted the important bits for you. It's nice. If it's used by someone who had your same professor, it's even better because sometimes there will be useful notes in the margins too.

username131

New

Post by username131 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:01 am

Auxilio wrote:
slizerd wrote:

CivPro - Wax
Torts - Klick
Contracts - Galbraith
This is interesting. My understanding is that people who have actually had Prof. Wax will tell you she is the best or one of the best professors they have ever had. Just do not use the WaxScript/WaxVerbatim (if you don't know what this is you'll find out soon). It takes most of the fun away. Also, Wax knows it exists and will ask a follow up question that calls you out if you rely on it for an answer that you did not come to yourself. Be extremely prepared for the first week of her class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PlanetExpress

New

Post by PlanetExpress » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:41 pm

Is there any place we can read professor evals? I'm also Sec 1 with Wax, Klick, and Galbraith. Any advance info on their styles, personalities, teaching quality, etc is appreciated!

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:54 pm

For any of you still waiting on your loan disbursement, I got this update from the loan office yesterday:

"Thank you for contacting Student Registration and Financial Services at the University of Pennsylvania. When the loan pays into your account, you will be billed on September 8th the adjusted balance and it will automatically include a late fee. You can then contact us by phone at (215) 898-1988 to appeal the late fee with an Assistant Director."

Needless to say, I won't be paying the late fee. I think it's crazy that they would even suggest I pay a late fee when I haven't done anything to delay the disbursement.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:55 pm

PlanetExpress wrote:Is there any place we can read professor evals? I'm also Sec 1 with Wax, Klick, and Galbraith. Any advance info on their styles, personalities, teaching quality, etc is appreciated!
I think you will also have access to the evals but only during add/drop period (if 1L's don't get access for some reason pm me and I'll give you screenshots once add/drop starts).

Galbraith I can personally speak to as being very intelligent/dry humour, teaches great but doesn't hold your hand too much, exams are closed book generally and you will have to know much of the UCC/CISG/Restatement from memory.

I will also say that I remember looking through her seminar evals for classes I couldn't believe how uniformly she got the best response to basically every question in the eval--it was literally hard to believe and I didn't see any others that were even close.

malysh

New

Post by malysh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Has anyone taken a course from Nico Cornell? We have him here at Michigan now and don't know much about him. I know he used to teach at UPenn.
Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”