Penn Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
slippin_jimmy

Gold

Re: Penn Law Class of 2019

Post by slippin_jimmy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:04 am

James.K.Polk wrote:
maracuya wrote:
penn19 wrote:Hooray, checking in! Guess I should start looking at apartments too...

Is anyone going to the Regional Receptions?
I will be! Other schools' regional receptions seem to be sit down dinners with talks from the dean, but Penn's sounds like it will just be an open bar at a hotel. At least that's my impression.
The DC one is a Ted Talk in the Capitol Building :shock: :shock:
Wait, it's a TED Talk? Wut.

oobiedoobie

New

Post by oobiedoobie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:02 pm

Last edited by oobiedoobie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:26 am

Has anyone set up an individual visit other than ASW? I sent in the form, but haven't gotten a response back.

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Checking in! I've been looking into apartments and have been getting overwhelmed. Is April too late to make a deposit somewhere? I am not 100% committed to a school yet but don't want to close any doors.

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:05 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
maracuya wrote:
penn19 wrote:Hooray, checking in! Guess I should start looking at apartments too...

I will be! Other schools' regional receptions seem to be sit down dinners with talks from the dean, but Penn's sounds like it will just be an open bar at a hotel. At least that's my impression.
Wait, I just realized Theodore (Ted?) Ruger is the Dean of Penn Law. Hence, "Ted Talk." lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pdevastey

New

Post by pdevastey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:04 pm

I have been living in Philly for 4 years now and before that lived in the suburbs so I am familiar with the area. Let me know if you have any questions. Plus i will most likely commit to penn.

GatorFan2280

New

Post by GatorFan2280 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:09 pm

gobears!! wrote:Checking in! I've been looking into apartments and have been getting overwhelmed. Is April too late to make a deposit somewhere? I am not 100% committed to a school yet but don't want to close any doors.
Interested to know this as well. Particularly in regards to the West Philly/University City area surrounding the campus. Seem to be getting mixed responses ranging from "Decent apartments typically fill up in January or February, so you should just scour craigslist and call the buildings daily to see if there are people backing out of leases" to "Even May isn't typically considered late for that area."

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:20 pm

penn19 wrote:
slippin_jimmy wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
maracuya wrote:

Wait, I just realized Theodore (Ted?) Ruger is the Dean of Penn Law. Hence, "Ted Talk." lol
Checking in! And going to the reception next Monday!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:41 pm

GatorFan2280 wrote:
gobears!! wrote:Checking in! I've been looking into apartments and have been getting overwhelmed. Is April too late to make a deposit somewhere? I am not 100% committed to a school yet but don't want to close any doors.
Interested to know this as well. Particularly in regards to the West Philly/University City area surrounding the campus. Seem to be getting mixed responses ranging from "Decent apartments typically fill up in January or February, so you should just scour craigslist and call the buildings daily to see if there are people backing out of leases" to "Even May isn't typically considered late for that area."
Depends what your going for, if you want a door-man building somewhere, I'd imagine those fill up. If you're trying to find an independent renter (cheaper!) I'd hold off at least till the summer when grads start bailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Clearly wrote:
GatorFan2280 wrote:
Depends what your going for, if you want a door-man building somewhere, I'd imagine those fill up. If you're trying to find an independent renter (cheaper!) I'd hold off at least till the summer when grads start bailing.
Thanks! I'm thinking about bringing my car. Do you think that is totally impractical/not necessary?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:58 pm

gobears!! wrote:
Clearly wrote:
GatorFan2280 wrote:
Thanks! I'm thinking about bringing my car. Do you think that is totally impractical/not necessary?
Don't bring your car. I brought mine as a 1L and took it back home within 4 months.Its useless here.

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Clearly wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
Clearly wrote:
GatorFan2280 wrote:
Don't bring your car. I brought mine as a 1L and took it back home within 4 months.Its useless here.
Interesting! Thank you. I just got it so I feel guilty leaving it in another state :/

rfc180

New

Post by rfc180 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Is 1-page appropriate for Wilson essays? E-mail just says "brief".

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IdiotWind

New

Post by IdiotWind » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:24 pm

rfc180 wrote:Is 1-page appropriate for Wilson essays? E-mail just says "brief".
+1

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:08 pm

When could we hear on non-named scholarships?

Hank William Shatner

New

Post by Hank William Shatner » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:31 pm

Checking in. Will be attending ASW in April.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:47 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:When could we hear on non-named scholarships?
+1 also interested in this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Biglaw1990 wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:When could we hear on non-named scholarships?
+1 also interested in this
Within the next couple of weeks. I called financial aid and that's what they told me.

Ahh yes, the ol: "you will most likely get a response at some point in the future"

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Non-named money is usually sent out with the big welcome packet thing, which as I recall has it's own status checker status, something like "welcome packet sent". At least that gives you some notice it's on the way.

Sherlock1122

New

Post by Sherlock1122 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:49 am

Checking in! I'm looking at apartments currently. Is there any insight out there as to which buildings are the best and if any of those are dog friendly? I have a golden retriever with me in AZ that I would love to bring out. I'd also be down to split the cost with a roommate or two. I'm a 23 year old Male (really easy to live with) feel free to send me a PM for more info. Looking forward to meeting you all at ASW next month!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:29 am

Sherlock1122 wrote:Checking in! I'm looking at apartments currently. Is there any insight out there as to which buildings are the best and if any of those are dog friendly? I have a golden retriever with me in AZ that I would love to bring out. I'd also be down to split the cost with a roommate or two. I'm a 23 year old Male (really easy to live with) feel free to send me a PM for more info. Looking forward to meeting you all at ASW next month!
Dog friendly is tough, you lose a lot of buildings. A handful of the new way expensive ones are dog friendly like 2116 chestnut, but you'll never see me advocating nyc rent apartments in Philly. I brought my dog too and ended up copping a nice two bedroom for $1,100 off Craigslist.
If you guys wanna pm me budget and preferences I can point you in the right direction, after 2 years here I really know most of these buildings and other options pretty well.

pdevastey

New

Post by pdevastey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:49 am

So if I haven't received any information about scholarships than its doubtful penn will give me any non-need based aid?

wenxiz

New

Post by wenxiz » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get a head start settling in as I am committed to Penn. Is anyone interested in moving sometime in June? I'm a female so looking for other female roomies preferably but open to anyone as long as they are collaborative, understanding, easy-going and open-minded. I love cooking and sharing, so am happy to keep a nice kitchen and common areas. Looking for a place that is close to school and flexible on price.

Feel free to PM me!

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Clearly wrote:Non-named money is usually sent out with the big welcome packet thing, which as I recall has it's own status checker status, something like "welcome packet sent". At least that gives you some notice it's on the way.
Around what month do "welcome packets" get sent out? Are they the same as "admit portfolios," or are they different?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”