Penn Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
clurrburr

Bronze

Re: Penn Law Class of 2019

Post by clurrburr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:15 pm

darlenealderson wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on an initial aid offer? There's a slim chance that I'll end up at Penn, but absolutely no chance without any money. Too many good/better offers.
I've gotten no word on merit aid. Sent them another email today. I really like Penn but I'm so annoyed I haven't heard anything!!

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Has anyone heard about recent Toll movement?

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:42 pm

gobears!! wrote:Has anyone heard about recent Toll movement?
Nope :( Doubt I got it, but would appreciate at least a ding email by now.

aviendha

New

Post by aviendha » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:48 pm

penn19 wrote:
gobears!! wrote:Has anyone heard about recent Toll movement?
Nope :( Doubt I got it, but would appreciate at least a ding email by now.
Same

pdevastey

New

Post by pdevastey » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:13 pm

They told me they wont offer me anything more so i guess i just need to bite the bullet and take a crap-ton of debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:14 pm

pdevastey wrote:They told me they wont offer me anything more so i guess i just need to bite the bullet and take a crap-ton of debt.
When and how did you hear?

pdevastey

New

Post by pdevastey » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:18 pm

ih8makingscreennames wrote:
pdevastey wrote:They told me they wont offer me anything more so i guess i just need to bite the bullet and take a crap-ton of debt.
I emailed them this morning and received a response from the merit scholarship committee. my numbers are not great so if your numbers are good then don't be too worried.

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:20 pm

pdevastey wrote:
I emailed them this morning and received a response from the merit scholarship committee. my numbers are not great so if your numbers are good then don't be too worried.
I mean I sent an email about reconsideration a while ago, and they haven't replied. I guess if I don't hear by EOB today, I'll email them.

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:27 pm

pdevastey wrote:
I mean I sent an email about reconsideration a while ago, and they haven't replied. I guess if I don't hear by EOB today, I'll email them.
I just called and asked if all the merit aid offers/reconsideration requests have gone out and they said no. I asked if I should just keep waiting and the individual I was speaking with suggested sending an additional follow up email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Toll ding just came in.

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:30 pm

gobears!! wrote:Toll ding just came in.
Samesies. Oh well.

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Still love Penn and just committed anyway!!

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:35 pm

I withdrew already, but I probed Dean Post a little after hearing I was "still under consideration" for merit for several weeks. Finally, she told me that most of the major awards have been given and that while there was still a chance I could receive some merit aid, I should not presume it. I can PM more details but basically, if you haven't received a big award yet, I wouldn't hold your breath for one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:39 pm

gobears!! wrote:Still love Penn and just committed anyway!!
Same! See you there :) Interested to see what this "public interest fellows program" thing is all about...

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:55 pm

penn19 wrote:
Same! See you there :) Interested to see what this "public interest fellows program" thing is all about...
See you there! Now to figure out all of the logistics going forward.

I think the program is going to essentially be an extension of the "Toll Scholars" program without the funding/programming requirement. That way we can still have access to the network and same opportunities.

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 pm

gobears!! wrote:
penn19 wrote:

I think the program is going to essentially be an extension of the "Toll Scholars" program without the funding/programming requirement. That way we can still have access to the network and same opportunities.
Guess I can't complain about that.... >.< >.< haha. Hopefully there will be more than six of those. #stillabitsalty

And yeah, onward to logistics! Have already submitted a few apps for studios in buildings that were listed on the first page of this thread but they're already gone...ugh. :(

Also, love your avatar. hehe

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:04 pm

penn19 wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
penn19 wrote:

Guess I can't complain about that.... >.< >.< haha. Hopefully there will be more than six of those. #stillabitsalty

And yeah, onward to logistics! Have already submitted a few apps for studios in buildings that were listed on the first page of this thread but they're already gone...ugh. :(

Everything happens for a reason right?!! Penn does seem genuine that they want to encourage PI. I still fear the combination of BigLaw pressure/debt at the law school so hopefully the fellows program gives a good amount of support.

You are way ahead of me. I feel like I may need to fly out that way again to look at places. I also have no idea if I want to live alone or with at least one roommate.

I stumbled across this gif the other day and it gave me a good laugh for a while so I decided I had to go with it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:14 pm

gobears!! wrote:
penn19 wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
penn19 wrote:

Everything happens for a reason right?!! Penn does seem genuine that they want to encourage PI. I still fear the combination of BigLaw pressure/debt at the law school so hopefully the fellows program gives a good amount of support.

You are way ahead of me. I feel like I may need to fly out that way again to look at places. I also have no idea if I want to live alone or with at least one roommate.

I stumbled across this gif the other day and it gave me a good laugh for a while so I decided I had to go with it.
I would definitely recommend flying out to look at places to live, even if the trip does cost way more than you'd like. I just went out a couple days ago to lease an apartment, and the ones that looked perfect online were awful in real life. I ended up falling in love with and leasing one that I had just glanced over online; the trip is worth it! (and the peace of mind from already having a place for the fall is amazing)

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:17 pm

slizerd wrote: I would definitely recommend flying out to look at places to live, even if the trip does cost way more than you'd like. I just went out a couple days ago to lease an apartment, and the ones that looked perfect online were awful in real life. I ended up falling in love with and leasing one that I had just glanced over online; the trip is worth it! (and the peace of mind from already having a place for the fall is amazing)
Did you go the craigslist route or look at buildings? Just curious... I tried looking at craigslist etc. but everything is available this summer, as opposed to August

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:19 pm

zyxwvut2 wrote:
slizerd wrote: I would definitely recommend flying out to look at places to live, even if the trip does cost way more than you'd like. I just went out a couple days ago to lease an apartment, and the ones that looked perfect online were awful in real life. I ended up falling in love with and leasing one that I had just glanced over online; the trip is worth it! (and the peace of mind from already having a place for the fall is amazing)
Did you go the craigslist route or look at buildings? Just curious... I tried looking at craigslist etc. but everything is available this summer, as opposed to August
I went through Craigslist, apartments.com, and used yelp to find different housing companies in the area. I ended up going with University City Housing, and my lease starts in August, but they were saying they don't have too many Aug start dates left. Other housing companies said they only require 60 days notice though, so there might be a lot more available in early June for those

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:25 pm

slizerd wrote:
zyxwvut2 wrote:
I went through Craigslist, apartments.com, and used yelp to find different housing companies in the area. I ended up going with University City Housing, and my lease starts in August, but they were saying they don't have too many Aug start dates left. Other housing companies said they only require 60 days notice though, so there might be a lot more available in early June for those
Nice. From the places I've looked at, University City Housing seems to have the most affordable options. Just sent them an inquiry--thanks :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:30 pm

penn19 wrote:
slizerd wrote:
zyxwvut2 wrote:
Nice. From the places I've looked at, University City Housing seems to have the most affordable options. Just sent them an inquiry--thanks :)
No problem! If you make an appointment with them for early-ish, they'll give you a list of available apartments and drive you around to all of them to check them out. I am so, so happy I went that route instead of renting based on online pics

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:29 am

Reconsideration was a 3-6K increase. I'm tapping out.

desperateforanswer

New

Post by desperateforanswer » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:33 am

Do you mind sharing when and how you were notified? I sent in a request last week with offers I have from other schools and still haven't heard anything and initially received no scholarship even though my numbers are great. Thinking about calling as I definitely want UPenn and am just waiting on the answer about money.

ih8makingscreennames

Bronze

Post by ih8makingscreennames » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:35 am

desperateforanswer wrote:Do you mind sharing when and how you were notified? I sent in a request last week with offers I have from other schools and still haven't heard anything and initially received no scholarship even though my numbers are great. Thinking about calling as I definitely want UPenn and am just waiting on the answer about money.
I emailed the scholarships email Monday or Tuesday and got an email back this morning saying that if that amount is sufficient they'd process it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”