Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending ASW (April 1st & 2nd)?

Yes, see you there!
42%
Maybe, I'm not sure yet.
2%
No, I won't be attending.
33%
No, I've already visited/scheduled an alternate visit.
23%

Total votes: 43

zozo1717

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019

Post by zozo1717 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:43 pm

^^ Thanks! If its the same, it'll cover my plane ticket almost exactly!

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:51 pm

threatlevelmidnight wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
zozo1717 wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
zozo1717 wrote:So who is definitely heading to the ASW in April?
Trying to decide Penn vs. Northwestern. Though NU only gives a stipend if you visit for ASW so....
Tough choice! Do they give the stipend to anyone who attends ASW or is it need-based?
If I don't hear back from a couple schools by the end of the month, I'm going to commit to NU's ASW. From my understanding, they give stipends if you are traveling a certain amount of miles. I think it was 600 miles last year? There's still nothing on their admitted students site about it yet.
Via email, they told me there was a stipend - I don't know anything more than that.

After printing some calendars (and ordering a desk calendar on Amazon) I think I will be at Northwestern ASW and will make an individual visit to Penn. Everyone else, plan your schedules accordingly :lol: :lol:
Snooped last year's thread and found the stipend info. Last year only. About the cost of a plane ticket for me: https://apply.law.northwestern.edu/regi ... 9809b75d86
Good find. SWA flights to MDW tend to be pretty cheap - that should cover it.

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:39 pm

I'd love to come to ASW but I can't get PTO or even non PTO, I visited in November when I interviewed so that'll tide me over! I'll be back in town in June to find a place to live. Not stressed about that at all.

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:29 pm

I'll be at ASW for sure. Just trying to figure out how I want my lodging to work out. NW has a list of several hotels on its website... It's just a matter of finding one that won't break the bank!

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:35 pm

Hippo wrote:I'll be at ASW for sure. Just trying to figure out how I want my lodging to work out. NW has a list of several hotels on its website... It's just a matter of finding one that won't break the bank!
They all will haha. I've been booking airbnbs for ASWs to make it more affordable. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:21 am

Checking in! Still deciding if I can do the ASW, but I'm doing at least one reception dinner.

Was planning on writing those short essays for scholarship consideration tomorrow. Anyone else?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:33 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:Checking in! Still deciding if I can do the ASW, but I'm doing at least one reception dinner.

Was planning on writing those short essays for scholarship consideration tomorrow. Anyone else?
I wrote those the day after I was admitted (truthfully, I knew what they were, so I had already sketched them out beforehand). I'd say submit them ASAP - money starts rolling out what, first week in March?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:54 am

By the way, ASW registration and info is now open. See you guys there!

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:02 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:By the way, ASW registration and info is now open. See you guys there!
Just signed up! Looks like they have doubled the travel stipend from last year for some states.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:By the way, ASW registration and info is now open. See you guys there!
Just signed up! Looks like they have doubled the travel stipend from last year for some states.
It also looks like it's for flights only, not hotels? Judging by the required attachment of travel info.

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:06 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
It also looks like it's for flights only, not hotels? Judging by the required attachment of travel info.
I was wondering that but it also says overnight accommodations on the form, so it includes hotels as well.

"The amount of your subsidy will be based on (1) your CURRENT ADDRESS on file in your application for admission and (2) the receipts you submit for transportation and/or overnight accommodations."

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:13 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
I was wondering that but it also says overnight accommodations on the form, so it includes hotels as well.

"The amount of your subsidy will be based on (1) your CURRENT ADDRESS on file in your application for admission and (2) the receipts you submit for transportation and/or overnight accommodations."
Awesome! Get dirt cheap flights, live it up in a nice hotel. Thanks!

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm coming from IN, so I don't get a lot of reimbursement, but hey, it's $100 that I don't have to pay.

On the note about hotels - in order to have a receipt to attach to NW's form, don't we need to already have stayed there? So I'm assuming we're not supposed to touch the form until after ASW is already over. I'm just worried that I'll go to fill it out in April and it'll be closed.

Skimmed through the itinerary. Pretty cool that they schedule ASW so that we're able to go see the Wigmore Follies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Hippo wrote:I'm coming from IN, so I don't get a lot of reimbursement, but hey, it's $100 that I don't have to pay.

On the note about hotels - in order to have a receipt to attach to NW's form, don't we need to already have stayed there? So I'm assuming we're not supposed to touch the form until after ASW is already over. I'm just worried that I'll go to fill it out in April and it'll be closed.

Skimmed through the itinerary. Pretty cool that they schedule ASW so that we're able to go see the Wigmore Follies.
Some hotels offer a pay in advance option - usually a slightly lower rate, then you could go ahead and submit the expenses. They won't pay you until after the event (to confirm you attend) - looks like up to 5-6 weeks

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Hippo wrote:I'm coming from IN, so I don't get a lot of reimbursement, but hey, it's $100 that I don't have to pay.

If you book hotel (and flights) online, they send you a receipt. In some cases no, you haven't paid for the hotel (I did for mine) but I think NU may accept it, as you have a credit card on file....

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:59 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:

If you book hotel (and flights) online, they send you a receipt. In some cases no, you haven't paid for the hotel (I did for mine) but I think NU may accept it, as you have a credit card on file....
Booked the hotel, but they just gave me a confirmation number, no receipt (don't think they've charged my card yet). Seems like something NU could take care of pretty easily if I just call and ask about it though. Thanks guys!

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:05 pm

I'm so excited for ASW it's crazy. Can't wait to see the school, chi town, and that glorious pizza lol. Had a quick question to run by everyone. What's the standard operating procedure regarding guests? Is it corny/inappropriate if you bring other people with you: i.e. family/parents, GF, friends, ect.?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NUDad

New

Post by NUDad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:15 pm

^ My opinion only: Yes on bringing a spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend. No on parents, siblings, friends, extended family, etc.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Cochran wrote:I'm so excited for ASW it's crazy. Can't wait to see the school, chi town, and that glorious pizza lol. Had a quick question to run by everyone. What's the standard operating procedure regarding guests? Is it corny/inappropriate if you bring other people with you: i.e. family/parents, GF, friends, ect.?
Northwestern Law's "campus" (just a building) is in such a prime spot. Beautiful view.

I'll be "bringing" a SO (different, because she lives in Chicago, and could just go home) but I hope she can see some of the events.

Can't wait to meet you guys there!

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:41 pm

NUDad wrote:^ My opinion only: Yes on bringing a spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend. No on parents, siblings, friends, extended family, etc.
It may just depend on the school, but at Georgetown there were plenty of parents. I was hesitant to bring anyone since there seems to be a lot of judgement on TLS, but it seemed fine.

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I may have to be "that guy" though, we'll see lol.

I also had another random question: Is the area around the NU Law Campus /Chicago in general conducive to owning/riding a motorcycle? Do you guys know if an owner would have to pay for parking?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:21 am

Also, NU seems to be killing it in general lately (god bless pritzker $$$$). If you haven't seen it, http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/ ... dable.html

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:26 am

Def makes NU an even more attractive option

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:04 am

Here's the Class of 2019 official Facebook page, in case you all hadn't discovered it yet: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NULawClassOf2019/

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:31 am

Cochran wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I may have to be "that guy" though, we'll see lol.

I also had another random question: Is the area around the NU Law Campus /Chicago in general conducive to owning/riding a motorcycle? Do you guys know if an owner would have to pay for parking?
There's not a lot of parking around there at all and any that you will find will be at a price. It's right up against a huge medical complex so there isn't a lot of street parking at all. It also comes up against LSD, so traffic can be interesting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”