Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending ASW (April 1st & 2nd)?

Yes, see you there!
42%
Maybe, I'm not sure yet.
2%
No, I won't be attending.
33%
No, I've already visited/scheduled an alternate visit.
23%

Total votes: 43

zozo1717

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019

Post by zozo1717 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Hippo wrote:Too early to change the poll just yet, but out of curiosity: How many years of work experience do you guys have, and what do you do? I'll be coming straight from undergrad, so I'm not going to have as interesting of stories to tell as you all will, I'm sure.
Five going on six; all of them at a big tech company

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:29 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
Hippo wrote:Too early to change the poll just yet, but out of curiosity: How many years of work experience do you guys have, and what do you do? I'll be coming straight from undergrad, so I'm not going to have as interesting of stories to tell as you all will, I'm sure.
Will be two years; work as chemist for the government.
Two years working in journalism.

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:52 pm

threatlevelmidnight wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
Will be two years; work as chemist for the government.
Two years working in journalism.
Two years hotel operations and training at a large company that rhymes with misney morld.

president biden

New

Post by president biden » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:24 pm

Three years in finance.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:15 am

president biden wrote:Three years in finance.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:23 am

Has anyone admitted last week received their acceptance packages yet? Does it generally take a while?

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Anyone filled out the scholarship application yet? There's two additional questions one of which seems very simlar to a Why NU which I sent with my original app.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:31 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:Anyone filled out the scholarship application yet? There's two additional questions one of which seems very simlar to a Why NU which I sent with my original app.
I did! And yeah, basically gave the same answer, maybe a little different (because, honestly, my perspective has changed some!) but it's along the same lines.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:34 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:Anyone filled out the scholarship application yet? There's two additional questions one of which seems very simlar to a Why NU which I sent with my original app.
I did! And yeah, basically gave the same answer, maybe a little different (because, honestly, my perspective has changed some!) but it's along the same lines.
Figured as much. Will probably try to get this submitted soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:19 pm

Any other ED guys in here? They say we're allowed to apply for more financial aid, but I feel like the odds of getting anything are minuscule. As much as I do love filling out lots of forms, I'm not sure that it's worth the time.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Hippo wrote:Any other ED guys in here? They say we're allowed to apply for more financial aid, but I feel like the odds of getting anything are minuscule. As much as I do love filling out lots of forms, I'm not sure that it's worth the time.
Didn't get in ED (deferred) but the NU Scholarship forms took me all of 10 minutes. Unless you mean FAFSA/Need Access, which I'd assume you'd be doing anyway?

purinpurin710

New

Post by purinpurin710 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Hippo wrote:Any other ED guys in here? They say we're allowed to apply for more financial aid, but I feel like the odds of getting anything are minuscule. As much as I do love filling out lots of forms, I'm not sure that it's worth the time.
I feel that by applying for more aid, they r referring to loans and just loans.

purinpurin710

New

Post by purinpurin710 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Any international admits that hv already received the physical package?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

radient

New

Post by radient » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Checking in! It's starting to feel real!

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:29 pm

purinpurin710 wrote:
Ah - that makes a lot more sense. I think I actually read something at some point that said exactly that, now that you mention it.

Looks like you might be the only NW international admit on TLS. I wonder what sort of proportion they have of international students? A quick anecdote - I have a friend who is currently a 1L that told me there is an international student in his class who is 42 years old. I guess that would certainly contribute to NW's higher average age! Seems like we'll be surrounded by a really interesting group of people.

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:22 am

Hippo wrote:
purinpurin710 wrote:
Ah - that makes a lot more sense. I think I actually read something at some point that said exactly that, now that you mention it.

Looks like you might be the only NW international admit on TLS. I wonder what sort of proportion they have of international students? A quick anecdote - I have a friend who is currently a 1L that told me there is an international student in his class who is 42 years old. I guess that would certainly contribute to NW's higher average age! Seems like we'll be surrounded by a really interesting group of people.
I'm really looking forward to that aspect. I think that alone helps foster a much more diverse group than most law schools. What do you guys think about the class sizes tho, do you think they'll continue to get lower, stay about the same as last yr, or increase back up to the ~300 range? I don't know if this really affects much, but I think it'd be nicer to have a smaller and more close knit group.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:46 am

Cochran wrote:
Hippo wrote:
purinpurin710 wrote:

I'm really looking forward to that aspect. I think that alone helps foster a much more diverse group than most law schools. What do you guys think about the class sizes tho, do you think they'll continue to get lower, stay about the same as last yr, or increase back up to the ~300 range? I don't know if this really affects much, but I think it'd be nicer to have a smaller and more close knit group.
I think small is better, though I don't know if we would notice a +/- 20 people class size. Just going through the website makes me so excited...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:03 am

I doubt they would increase class size

Toodle-loo

Bronze

Post by Toodle-loo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Checking in! Very stoked :D

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:57 pm

How much do I have to donate to the school to buy the naming rights to its TLS C/O 2019 thread, or did the Pritzkers get that in the deal, too?

radient

New

Post by radient » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Cochran wrote:
Hippo wrote:
purinpurin710 wrote:

Think there's a letter from the dean from a while ago that mentions they're reducing class sizes in response to changes in the legal job market (the accelerated JD program (rip) and interest-payment program I believe were also mentioned in that message or similar ones) Lower class size was criticized as flame to game the rankings, but frankly, if the Pritzker $ and smaller class size mean bigger scholarships for us, what else matters?

Also, I know your avatar is lawyer dog mashed up with a suit, but it makes me think of King from Tekken haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:08 am

radient wrote:
Cochran wrote:
Hippo wrote:
purinpurin710 wrote:

Think there's a letter from the dean from a while ago that mentions they're reducing class sizes in response to changes in the legal job market (the accelerated JD program (rip) and interest-payment program I believe were also mentioned in that message or similar ones) Lower class size was criticized as flame to game the rankings, but frankly, if the Pritzker $ and smaller class size mean bigger scholarships for us, what else matters?

Also, I know your avatar is lawyer dog mashed up with a suit, but it makes me think of King from Tekken haha
Deep down, aren't we all just lawyer dogs mashed up in suits? Lol
But yea, I can see the King resemblance. It's actually Phoenix Wright with a dog's head.

And I agree, it seems like the Dean is making all of the right moves and we are the beneficiaries. I'm a big fan thus far

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:11 am

Also, I'm gonna swap the polls every ~2 weeks. I have some ideas but would love move, so let em fly

CactusPete

New

Post by CactusPete » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:39 am

Any word on what's going to happen with the NU ED scholarship in the future? It's interesting that it's stayed the same for a while now (like 3-5 cycles?), so each cycle it becomes a little less valuable- though it's still a great deal. For instance, when the 150k ED scholarship first came out it was pretty much full tuition, but C/O 2019 tuition is probably going to be north of 60k for 1L with 3.5% increases each year (188k in tuition total), so it's not as crazy good as before. I've also noticed that it's becoming a bit less competitive to get in ED based on the LSAT/GPA trends of admitted students I've seen the past few cycles.

Maybe it's a result of the infusion of Priztker cash money this past year (ie the school can be more generous with aid) or maybe it's because the scholarship is worth less relative to rising tuition costs and the people with crazy high numbers aren't applying ED anymore but instead are applying RD and banking on getting 150k or more anyways without having to tie themselves down (ie the ED applicant pool has changed and NU can't land the 500 lb. tunas with it anymore). If this is the case, I wonder what NU's future plan for the ED scholarship is? Anyways just thought this might be an interesting discussion topic because I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:15 am

CactusPete wrote:Any word on what's going to happen with the NU ED scholarship in the future? It's interesting that it's stayed the same for a while now (like 3-5 cycles?), so each cycle it becomes a little less valuable- though it's still a great deal. For instance, when the 150k ED scholarship first came out it was pretty much full tuition, but C/O 2019 tuition is probably going to be north of 60k for 1L with 3.5% increases each year (188k in tuition total), so it's not as crazy good as before. I've also noticed that it's becoming a bit less competitive to get in ED based on the LSAT/GPA trends of admitted students I've seen the past few cycles.

Maybe it's a result of the infusion of Priztker cash money this past year (ie the school can be more generous with aid) or maybe it's because the scholarship is worth less relative to rising tuition costs and the people with crazy high numbers aren't applying ED anymore but instead are applying RD and banking on getting 150k or more anyways without having to tie themselves down (ie the ED applicant pool has changed and NU can't land the 500 lb. tunas with it anymore). If this is the case, I wonder what NU's future plan for the ED scholarship is? Anyways just thought this might be an interesting discussion topic because I haven't heard anyone talk about it.
Yea, If I had to guess, I believe the Pritzker money will be used to lower tuition. If I'm not mistaken, NU has the most expensive tuition out of the T-14 besides Columbia. I think they're trying to change this and at least get to the middle of the pack (who are only about $1000 less). There have been rumors that they might freeze tuition this year, and they said they would make efforts to lower tuition costs during the Pritzker renaming (*fingers crossed*).

As for the value of the $150K, I'd still assume it's pretty rare to get that kind of money from any T-14. The stats show that a very large chunk of T-14 students don't receive any aid at all. And while a significant proportion at NU receive over half tuition, I don't think too many of those students are getting $150K+.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”