Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending ASW (April 1st & 2nd)?

Yes, see you there!
42%
Maybe, I'm not sure yet.
2%
No, I won't be attending.
33%
No, I've already visited/scheduled an alternate visit.
23%

Total votes: 43

James.K.Polk

Silver

Re: Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:48 pm

For those of you who have looked this far ahead, which neighborhoods would you most like to live in?

I like Lincoln Park and Pilsen (from experience), but hear that Wicker Park and Ukranian Village are pretty nice too - and affordable.

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:51 pm

Lincoln park or Lakeview most likely

radient

New

Post by radient » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Yeah I was thinking lakeview. Def not streeterville

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:36 pm

radient wrote:Yeah I was thinking lakeview. Def not streeterville
I'm curious, what's wrong with streeterville?

gtrs09

New

Post by gtrs09 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:38 pm

Cochran wrote:
I would assume cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Cochran wrote:
Disclaimer that I don't live in Chicago but it isn't really much of a "neighborhood" and pretty boring from what I can tell. Obviously the biggest plus is the convenience factor.

radient

New

Post by radient » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Everything the last couple posts said. Just seemed like a boring area and overpriced. I don't mind a little commute for a cooler neighborhood.

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:43 pm

urbanist11 wrote:
Cochran wrote:
Disclaimer that I don't live in Chicago but it isn't really much of a "neighborhood" and pretty boring from what I can tell. Obviously the biggest plus is the convenience factor.
It has no personality. Also, very expensive compared to what you can get for commuting 20-30 minutes with your free public transit.

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Ok, that makes sense. I'm on the fence right now, because I'd like something cheap but would really like to be in walking distance. The prices look ridiculous right now, so probably gonna go to the cheaper areas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:05 pm

Is everyone pretty much planning on living in studio apartments? I'm not ecstatic about the idea of living alone in a tiny room, but I suppose it's only 3 years.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Hippo wrote:Is everyone pretty much planning on living in studio apartments? I'm not ecstatic about the idea of living alone in a tiny room, but I suppose it's only 3 years.
1 BR... Hopefully I have my SO for a roommate, but even then, I'd be hard-pressed to pick studio over a 1 BR. They're more expensive but honestly I can't imagine going back to the studio... I guess it depends on square footage, etc!

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm looking at Lincoln Park/Lake View. I'd like to live in a 1b, but if there's a spacious studio that works well for me, I'm not against it. Where I live now I live with roommates in a decent sized 3b 3bath, for the same amount of rent, total, that I'll be paying in Chicago for a studio or 1b. #cityliving.

CactusPete

New

Post by CactusPete » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:56 am

Cochran wrote:
CactusPete wrote:Any word on what's going to happen with the NU ED scholarship in the future? It's interesting that it's stayed the same for a while now (like 3-5 cycles?), so each cycle it becomes a little less valuable- though it's still a great deal. For instance, when the 150k ED scholarship first came out it was pretty much full tuition, but C/O 2019 tuition is probably going to be north of 60k for 1L with 3.5% increases each year (188k in tuition total), so it's not as crazy good as before. I've also noticed that it's becoming a bit less competitive to get in ED based on the LSAT/GPA trends of admitted students I've seen the past few cycles.

Maybe it's a result of the infusion of Priztker cash money this past year (ie the school can be more generous with aid) or maybe it's because the scholarship is worth less relative to rising tuition costs and the people with crazy high numbers aren't applying ED anymore but instead are applying RD and banking on getting 150k or more anyways without having to tie themselves down (ie the ED applicant pool has changed and NU can't land the 500 lb. tunas with it anymore). If this is the case, I wonder what NU's future plan for the ED scholarship is? Anyways just thought this might be an interesting discussion topic because I haven't heard anyone talk about it.
Yea, If I had to guess, I believe the Pritzker money will be used to lower tuition. If I'm not mistaken, NU has the most expensive tuition out of the T-14 besides Columbia. I think they're trying to change this and at least get to the middle of the pack (who are only about $1000 less). There have been rumors that they might freeze tuition this year, and they said they would make efforts to lower tuition costs during the Pritzker renaming (*fingers crossed*).

As for the value of the $150K, I'd still assume it's pretty rare to get that kind of money from any T-14. The stats show that a very large chunk of T-14 students don't receive any aid at all. And while a significant proportion at NU receive over half tuition, I don't think too many of those students are getting $150K+.
Fingers-crossed for the tuition freeze as well! I hadn't heard about any of that- so thanks for the reply. I guess we'll be hearing a definite answer in the coming months.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CactusPete

New

Post by CactusPete » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:08 am

I'm surprised no one is going for the 30' sailboat on Lake Michigan angle for housing.

purinpurin710

New

Post by purinpurin710 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:46 am

Cochran wrote:
CactusPete wrote:Any word on what's going to happen with the NU ED scholarship in the future? It's interesting that it's stayed the same for a while now (like 3-5 cycles?), so each cycle it becomes a little less valuable- though it's still a great deal. For instance, when the 150k ED scholarship first came out it was pretty much full tuition, but C/O 2019 tuition is probably going to be north of 60k for 1L with 3.5% increases each year (188k in tuition total), so it's not as crazy good as before. I've also noticed that it's becoming a bit less competitive to get in ED based on the LSAT/GPA trends of admitted students I've seen the past few cycles.

Maybe it's a result of the infusion of Priztker cash money this past year (ie the school can be more generous with aid) or maybe it's because the scholarship is worth less relative to rising tuition costs and the people with crazy high numbers aren't applying ED anymore but instead are applying RD and banking on getting 150k or more anyways without having to tie themselves down (ie the ED applicant pool has changed and NU can't land the 500 lb. tunas with it anymore). If this is the case, I wonder what NU's future plan for the ED scholarship is? Anyways just thought this might be an interesting discussion topic because I haven't heard anyone talk about it.
Yea, If I had to guess, I believe the Pritzker money will be used to lower tuition. If I'm not mistaken, NU has the most expensive tuition out of the T-14 besides Columbia. I think they're trying to change this and at least get to the middle of the pack (who are only about $1000 less). There have been rumors that they might freeze tuition this year, and they said they would make efforts to lower tuition costs during the Pritzker renaming (*fingers crossed*).

As for the value of the $150K, I'd still assume it's pretty rare to get that kind of money from any T-14. The stats show that a very large chunk of T-14 students don't receive any aid at all. And while a significant proportion at NU receive over half tuition, I don't think too many of those students are getting $150K+.
I really hope that tuitions could be lowered. I am filling out the I-20 application for my visa(international student), and in the "estimated cost"part offered by NU Law, the estimated tuition has been raised to $60,450.

CactusPete

New

Post by CactusPete » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:33 am

That's probably not good news for a tuition freeze this year then

Hippo

New

Post by Hippo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:51 pm

A nice column on Scalia written by the man we'll all probably have for con law next year: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... /80349810/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:36 pm

Hippo wrote:A nice column on Scalia written by the man we'll all probably have for con law next year: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... /80349810/
No, half of you will
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 am

So who is definitely heading to the ASW in April?

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:06 am

zozo1717 wrote:So who is definitely heading to the ASW in April?
Aye, aye... Well 95% certain

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:31 am

Trying to decide Penn vs. Northwestern. Though NU only gives a stipend if you visit for ASW so....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:33 am

James.K.Polk wrote:
Trying to decide Penn vs. Northwestern. Though NU only gives a stipend if you visit for ASW so....
Tough choice! Do they give the stipend to anyone who attends ASW or is it need-based?

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:53 am

zozo1717 wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
Tough choice! Do they give the stipend to anyone who attends ASW or is it need-based?
If I don't hear back from a couple schools by the end of the month, I'm going to commit to NU's ASW. From my understanding, they give stipends if you are traveling a certain amount of miles. I think it was 600 miles last year? There's still nothing on their admitted students site about it yet.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:36 pm

threatlevelmidnight wrote:
zozo1717 wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
If I don't hear back from a couple schools by the end of the month, I'm going to commit to NU's ASW. From my understanding, they give stipends if you are traveling a certain amount of miles. I think it was 600 miles last year? There's still nothing on their admitted students site about it yet.
Via email, they told me there was a stipend - I don't know anything more than that.

After printing some calendars (and ordering a desk calendar on Amazon) I think I will be at Northwestern ASW and will make an individual visit to Penn. Everyone else, plan your schedules accordingly :lol: :lol:

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:41 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
threatlevelmidnight wrote:
zozo1717 wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
Via email, they told me there was a stipend - I don't know anything more than that.

After printing some calendars (and ordering a desk calendar on Amazon) I think I will be at Northwestern ASW and will make an individual visit to Penn. Everyone else, plan your schedules accordingly :lol: :lol:
Snooped last year's thread and found the stipend info. Last year only. About the cost of a plane ticket for me: https://apply.law.northwestern.edu/regi ... 9809b75d86

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”