Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Will you be attending ASW (April 1st & 2nd)?

Yes, see you there!
42%
Maybe, I'm not sure yet.
2%
No, I won't be attending.
33%
No, I've already visited/scheduled an alternate visit.
23%

Total votes: 43

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Pritzker Law Class of 2019

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:08 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
radient wrote:
threatlevelmidnight wrote:
zozo1717 wrote:Didn't get to make it to ASW - what did everyone think?
Really emphasized big law, but there are also a lot of opportunities/support to pursue PI if you so wish. Everyone I met seemed like a genuinely nice person, and no gunners, at least in the discussions I attended. Also did a panel on Making a Murderer, which gives you an idea of the kind of work you could do in clinics there. Pretty good overall.
Funny, I'm gunning for biglaw and thought they've been pushing the public interest stuff harder. Only thing I really noticed as being only biglaw focused was the recent alumni panel.
Ditto here. Felt like 99% PI stuff to me, sort of off-putting.
Haha that's interesting, I definitely left with a sense that big law was the focus of the weekend. I think I only talked to maybe one or two students that weren't planning on going into big law.

meowatme123

New

Post by meowatme123 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:59 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
radient wrote:
zozo1717 wrote:Didn't get to make it to ASW - what did everyone think?
Really emphasized big law, but there are also a lot of opportunities/support to pursue PI if you so wish. Everyone I met seemed like a genuinely nice person, and no gunners, at least in the discussions I attended. Also did a panel on Making a Murderer, which gives you an idea of the kind of work you could do in clinics there. Pretty good overall.
Funny, I'm gunning for biglaw and thought they've been pushing the public interest stuff harder. Only thing I really noticed as being only biglaw focused was the recent alumni panel.
Ditto here. Felt like 99% PI stuff to me, sort of off-putting.
Haha that's interesting, I definitely left with a sense that big law was the focus of the weekend. I think I only talked to maybe one or two students that weren't planning on going into big law.
Seemed to me like they tried to do PI stuff because they have a reputation for focusing on biglaw. If anything, any emphasis on PI was to assuage those that were worried that their PI interests wouldn't be well represented at the school. The schools big law success/focus is pretty well documented, so they probably felt they didn't have much they needed to prove on that side... wasn't really off-putting in my opinion.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:10 pm

Someone call and ask about scholarship reconsideration, pls.

Rhetoricus

New

Post by Rhetoricus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:59 pm

meowatme123 wrote:Seemed to me like they tried to do PI stuff because they have a reputation for focusing on biglaw. If anything, any emphasis on PI was to assuage those that were worried that their PI interests wouldn't be well represented at the school. The schools big law success/focus is pretty well documented, so they probably felt they didn't have much they needed to prove on that side... wasn't really off-putting in my opinion.
I think this is the most accurate assessment. Since NU Law is a Biglaw feeder, I felt they made a concerted effort to tout (e.g., the increased summer aide was trumpeted) their PI bonafides.

The crown jewel of the weekend for many folks was the Brendan Dassey defense team and that's all PI.

wittywitless

Bronze

Post by wittywitless » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 pm

Has anybody had any luck getting extensions to the scholly acceptance deadline? I may start email bombing them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Just heard back on reconsideration - 15k total bump

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 pm

wittywitless wrote:Has anybody had any luck getting extensions to the scholly acceptance deadline? I may start email bombing them.
Would be curious on this as well--still trying to negotiate with other schools

Juniper11

New

Post by Juniper11 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Just got my initial scholarship amount - it's my highest T-14 amount so far. For reference, I was admitted somewhat late and had a late March deadline to submit my supplemental scholarship application information.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:08 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:Just heard back on reconsideration - 15k total bump
30k bump here.

For anyone wondering, I was negotiating with an NYU offer that was $15k better than Northwestern's and a full ride at WashU. So that fits with what I'd heard from students: they will take offers from a higher-ranking school more seriously, even if the actual offer is lower.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blind squirrel

New

Post by blind squirrel » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
30k bump here.

For anyone wondering, I was negotiating with an NYU offer that was $15k better than Northwestern's and a full ride at WashU. So that fits with what I'd heard from students: they will take offers from a higher-ranking school more seriously, even if the actual offer is lower.
Congratulations to you guys on the bumps, that's great. Just curious, when did you submit the form?

threatlevelmidnight

Bronze

Post by threatlevelmidnight » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:28 pm

delete
Last edited by threatlevelmidnight on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:29 pm

blind squirrel wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
30k bump here.

Congratulations to you guys on the bumps, that's great. Just curious, when did you submit the form?
About a week ago. This is the first week they've met about reconsiderations (per my point of contact in the office).

lemontea

New

Post by lemontea » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:39 pm

If I only have offers from lower-ranking/regional schools (like T30), should I even bother trying to negotiate? :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:41 pm

lemontea wrote:If I only have offers from lower-ranking/regional schools (like T30), should I even bother trying to negotiate? :?
In general it can't hurt, but there's a list of schools they'll look at. They don't consider $ from anywhere not on the list

TheWalkingDebt

Silver

Post by TheWalkingDebt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Who went to ASW ITT other than me?

Being-yonce

New

Post by Being-yonce » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Last edited by Being-yonce on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWalkingDebt

Silver

Post by TheWalkingDebt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Being-yonce wrote:
TheWalkingDebt wrote:Who went to ASW ITT other than me?
I did. I honestly wasn't that impressed though.
I thought it was fine, that they clearly focused on MAM (as their most well known example) to balance their reputation for biglaw. Also, I was not judging them based on ASW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:56 am

I really enjoyed NU's ASW. Although I haven't been to any others to compare, the students all seemed pretty chill. The PI slant made sense too IMO, as idk how a school can really discuss biglaw besides there numbers. On that end, it seemed 95% of the students I talked to were either graduating or summering at a biglaw firm. But as far as the administration, idk what else they really could do besides talk about their clinical opportunities at bluhm, which all seem fantastic. The MAM event seemed more like an elementary display for dateline's viewers, but that's pretty cool in and of itself.

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:39 am

I really enjoyed ASW for one. The current students were very friendly and seemed to be happy with their decision to attend NU (of course they could have been hand picked for that reason :lol: ).

Heads up to everyone you can probably (at least I can) view your preliminary financial aid package on CAESAR. Check your NU email for more details.

Rhetoricus

New

Post by Rhetoricus » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:19 am

urbanist11 wrote:I really enjoyed ASW for one. The current students were very friendly and seemed to be happy with their decision to attend NU (of course they could have been hand picked for that reason :lol: ).

Heads up to everyone you can probably (at least I can) view your preliminary financial aid package on CAESAR. Check your NU email for more details.
I think they were volunteers.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:32 am

Rhetoricus wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:I really enjoyed ASW for one. The current students were very friendly and seemed to be happy with their decision to attend NU (of course they could have been hand picked for that reason :lol: ).

I think they were volunteers.
It's still pretty heavy selection bias.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:24 am

herecomesthesun wrote:
wittywitless wrote:Has anybody had any luck getting extensions to the scholly acceptance deadline? I may start email bombing them.
Would be curious on this as well--still trying to negotiate with other schools
+1

Have you two (or anyone else) had any luck? I'm e-mailing them tomorrow (Monday) requesting an extension. I just got into NYU and would like to get their financial aid offer before making a decision.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:50 am

No chance for further reconsideration if we get new offers? Does anyone know?

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:50 am

For anyone wondering, I asked for a deadline extension and got an extra week.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 am

James.K.Polk wrote:No chance for further reconsideration if we get new offers? Does anyone know?
Can't hurt to ask. Although if it's a new offer from one of the schools you already told them about, it may not be worth it. I'm guessing they'd assume (as I would in their position) that you used their offer to negotiate with that school, in order to re-negotiate, etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”