Duke Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Durham/Are you interested in a TLS meet-up before classes start?

Already here, baby
9%
May
2%
June
4%
July
4%
August
25%
Haven't figured it out yet
4%
Never. I'm not going to Duke, I just wanted to assert my right to vote
16%
Yes
27%
No
7%
Maybe
2%

Total votes: 55

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Duke Law Class of 2019

Post by lymenheimer » Sun May 29, 2016 9:27 am

stressball2015 wrote:I haven't received any information on how to submit the second deposit. Do we just do it the same way we did for the initial deposit? I emailed admissions and Bursar last week but didnt get a response....
Uhhhh...theres not a second deposit

Serett

Post by Serett » Sun May 29, 2016 11:24 am

lymenheimer wrote:
stressball2015 wrote:I haven't received any information on how to submit the second deposit. Do we just do it the same way we did for the initial deposit? I emailed admissions and Bursar last week but didnt get a response....
Don't let this waitlisted scum trick you. It's a check payable to "Serett" for twice the amount of the first deposit.

stressball2015

New

Post by stressball2015 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Serett wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Don't let this waitlisted scum trick you. It's a check payable to "Serett" for twice the amount of the first deposit.
"To secure a place in the class, admitted applicants must submit two non-refundable deposits. The first deposit deadline for most admitted applicants is April 15, with the second deposit due June 1." Policy 1-7

So either they haven't updated their policies or neither of you know what you're talking about?

Serett

Post by Serett » Sun May 29, 2016 3:36 pm

stressball2015 wrote:
Serett wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
"To secure a place in the class, admitted applicants must submit two non-refundable deposits. The first deposit deadline for most admitted applicants is April 15, with the second deposit due June 1." Policy 1-7

So either they haven't updated their policies or neither of you know what you're talking about?
Policy 1-7. Candidate Responses

To secure a place in the class, admitted applicants must submit two non-refundable deposits. The first deposit deadline for most admitted applicants is April 15, with the second deposit due June 1. Candidates who are accepted somewhat later than the majority of the admitted applicants are given a later deposit deadline to allow them a reasonable period of time to decide whether to make a commitment to attend Duke.

Approved by Admissions Committee October 1992
I wonder which it could be :?: :!: :?: :!:

stressball2015

New

Post by stressball2015 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Serett wrote:
stressball2015 wrote:
Serett wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

To secure a place in the class, admitted applicants must submit two non-refundable deposits. The first deposit deadline for most admitted applicants is April 15, with the second deposit due June 1. Candidates who are accepted somewhat later than the majority of the admitted applicants are given a later deposit deadline to allow them a reasonable period of time to decide whether to make a commitment to attend Duke.

haha okay, fair enough. It's odd though that almost every other law school has a second deposit except this one. Oh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Sun May 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Serett wrote:
stressball2015 wrote:
Serett wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sun May 29, 2016 8:26 pm

stressball2015 wrote:
Serett wrote:
stressball2015 wrote:
Serett wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:

haha okay, fair enough. It's odd though that almost every other law school has a second deposit except this one. Oh well.
Yea i dont pay attention to the handbooks. Just the info they send out. But yea...what serett said :lol:

lawschooli

New

Post by lawschooli » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:15 pm

Is there a deadline on when we have to submit our final transcripts and immunization requirements? I've searched and cannot find a list of deadlines anywhere!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 pm

lawschooli wrote:Is there a deadline on when we have to submit our final transcripts and immunization requirements? I've searched and cannot find a list of deadlines anywhere!
Immunization requirement date is in the OP. I haven't put in the MPN/entrance counseling dates because they are kinda flexible (to my understanding), but those are like June 5 (I think?). Final transcripts just need to be in before you begin classes, I believe...but the sooner the better, obviously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

magicmagic

New

Post by magicmagic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:38 pm

lawschooli wrote:Is there a deadline on when we have to submit our final transcripts and immunization requirements? I've searched and cannot find a list of deadlines anywhere!
Side note: Immunization records are officially due 6/15, but it's flexible. Just email them if you have an issue/are in the process of getting immunizations done. I lost my records and have to get the entire tetanus series again, so I can't submit until July. :roll:

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:41 pm

magicmagic wrote:
it's flexible.
Also this. If nothing else, they'll stick you with a cocktail of whatever else you need at the health center when you get there...essentially. The due date is for the potential month-long verification of your records.

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:56 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
lawschooli wrote:I haven't put in the MPN/entrance counseling dates because they are kinda flexible (to my understanding), but those are like June 5 (I think?).
What is/do we have to do for the MPN/entrance counseling? Was info on this mailed out?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:58 pm

TLSDookie wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:I haven't put in the MPN/entrance counseling dates because they are kinda flexible (to my understanding), but those are like June 5 (I think?).
What is/do we have to do for the MPN/entrance counseling? Was info on this mailed out?
Check your Duke email. I received my fin-aid package info and instructions for accepting like a week or two ago.

I also received some information in the postmail re: deadlines and immunization forms and stuff.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:39 pm

Gotcha, thanks. The snail-mail address I entered with my application was my parents' house, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important that got thrown out over there.

robidizzle

New

Post by robidizzle » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:39 am

Hey guys, I was recently admitted off the WL a couple weeks ago and now I'm looking for a roommate. Posted in the housing doc on the fb group but it seems like I'm a bit late to the game. Anyone here looking for a roommate? I'm nice, respectful, friendly and have virtually no preferences on where to live. I would just prefer having cheaper rent and to have a friend coming into Durham. Either way, see you all in August!

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:41 pm

robidizzle wrote:Hey guys, I was recently admitted off the WL a couple weeks ago and now I'm looking for a roommate. Posted in the housing doc on the fb group but it seems like I'm a bit late to the game. Anyone here looking for a roommate? I'm nice, respectful, friendly and have virtually no preferences on where to live. I would just prefer having cheaper rent and to have a friend coming into Durham. Either way, see you all in August!
You didn't miss much, people really haven't been active in looking for roommates yet (just have posted info).

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 pm

re: vaccinations, keep in mind that your state may have records readily available (possibly even online) if you've lost or don't keep yours.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/ii ... html#state

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:47 pm

Have people already been making living arrangements? I've tried to and have has no such luck so far :'(

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:07 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:Have people already been making living arrangements? I've tried to and have has no such luck so far :'(
have you been looking at the reaources shared ITT or on the fb page?

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:42 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:Have people already been making living arrangements? I've tried to and have has no such luck so far :'(
have you been looking at the reaources shared ITT or on the fb page?
Yeah, no one is really responding. I guess it's just me? Haha

sadgrl

New

Post by sadgrl » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:32 pm

I found a roommate through DukeList. Everyone I messaged off the Facebook/Google doc already had arrangements done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:46 pm

Last question: how important would garage parking be? I heard that winters are relatively mild there, but those tornadoes central N.C. had this year makes me worry if parking my car outside will be a severe risk.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:06 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:Last question: how important would garage parking be? I heard that winters are relatively mild there, but those tornadoes central N.C. had this year makes me worry if parking my car outside will be a severe risk.
As long as you have car insurance, I wouldn't be worried about it. I've only known a few people out of my extended group of friends to have weather related car troubles (broken windshields from hail/tree limb from strong winds). I wouldn't pay extra for a garage unless it is cheap and you can afford it (if you're at an apartment) nor would I eliminate living options that don't have one.

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:48 pm

This thread is not popping. Let's get some conversation flowing! :D

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:54 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:This thread is not popping. Let's get some conversation flowing! :D
How bout that food truck rodeo yesterday? I road my bike to the law school and it only took me 10 minutes (lol). Probably gonna ride around a bit tonight because the hills on my road kicked my ass. Anybody got thoughts for a bar meetup between now and move-in/anyone wanna grab drinks anytime soon? There's one microbrewery that I really like but it's closer to Raleigh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”