Columbia Law Class of 2019

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you getting here?

July
1
5%
August 1-August 4
3
14%
August 5-9
6
27%
August 10-August 15
12
55%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
ampersaandy

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby ampersaandy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:31 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:Anyone planning on going to the late March event?


Yup! Really excited ^.^

User avatar
SpikeSeagull

New
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby SpikeSeagull » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:12 pm

Anybody know if anyone from earlier cycles tried negotiating for more merit aid than a Butler? I realize half tuition is already a lot from Columbia, but that still leaves about $150k+ of loans to deal with...

User avatar
Theresa87

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 5:34 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby Theresa87 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Can the financial aid questionnaire be emailed in or does it need to be mailed?

pittsburghpirates

Silver
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby pittsburghpirates » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Theresa87 wrote:Can the financial aid questionnaire be emailed in or does it need to be mailed?


They say not to email it because it will have your SSN in it, but you can fax it!

User avatar
ugg

Diamond
Posts: 11768
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby ugg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:00 pm

Just to confirm, if we are JUST applying for loans and not grants, our financial aid documents aren't due until May, correct?

User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby TheKisSquared » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:04 pm

ugg wrote:Just to confirm, if we are JUST applying for loans and not grants, our financial aid documents aren't due until May, correct?


From the form/website that seems to be the case.

User avatar
benwyatt

Platinum
Posts: 5949
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby benwyatt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Credit to Barley for this joke, but someone should definitely put their "Preferred first name" as <<Test First Name>> when they RSVP

User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby TheKisSquared » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:06 pm

benwyatt wrote:Credit to Barley for this joke, but someone should definitely put their "Preferred first name" as <<Test First Name>> when they RSVP

I can't like this enough.

User avatar
bec27

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby bec27 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:44 am

Hi All. Long-time TLS lurker checking in. Very excited to have been accepted at Columbia!

I was wondering whether anyone knows the answer to the following - I'm getting ready to send my/my parents' tax returns to the financial aid office. My parents e-file their returns through their accountant, and so don't sign their returns by hand. Does anyone know whether Columbia accepts e-filed returns without hand-written signatures? I'll probably send the docs I have and ask if they'll accept them, but just want to give my parents as much forewarning as possible if they're likely to need to do anything else!

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

pittsburghpirates

Silver
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby pittsburghpirates » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:30 am

bec27 wrote:Hi All. Long-time TLS lurker checking in. Very excited to have been accepted at Columbia!

I was wondering whether anyone knows the answer to the following - I'm getting ready to send my/my parents' tax returns to the financial aid office. My parents e-file their returns through their accountant, and so don't sign their returns by hand. Does anyone know whether Columbia accepts e-filed returns without hand-written signatures? I'll probably send the docs I have and ask if they'll accept them, but just want to give my parents as much forewarning as possible if they're likely to need to do anything else!

Thanks in advance for any help! :D


My parents do the same and I sent my information in a few weeks ago. They accepted them and told me if they needed anything else they would contact me. So I'd go ahead and send in!

User avatar
bec27

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby bec27 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:40 am

pittsburghpirates wrote:
bec27 wrote:Hi All. Long-time TLS lurker checking in. Very excited to have been accepted at Columbia!

I was wondering whether anyone knows the answer to the following - I'm getting ready to send my/my parents' tax returns to the financial aid office. My parents e-file their returns through their accountant, and so don't sign their returns by hand. Does anyone know whether Columbia accepts e-filed returns without hand-written signatures? I'll probably send the docs I have and ask if they'll accept them, but just want to give my parents as much forewarning as possible if they're likely to need to do anything else!

Thanks in advance for any help! :D


My parents do the same and I sent my information in a few weeks ago. They accepted them and told me if they needed anything else they would contact me. So I'd go ahead and send in!



Amazing - thank you so much!

User avatar
LALaw90210

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby LALaw90210 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:29 am

Does anyone have a Columbia ID number yet? If not, did you just leave the space that asks for it in the Financial Aid Questionnaire blank?

User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby TheKisSquared » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:45 am

LALaw90210 wrote:Does anyone have a Columbia ID number yet? If not, did you just leave the space that asks for it in the Financial Aid Questionnaire blank?


I do not, and I also just left that blank. I would double check with financial aid, though.

User avatar
bec27

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby bec27 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:59 am

TheKisSquared wrote:
LALaw90210 wrote:Does anyone have a Columbia ID number yet? If not, did you just leave the space that asks for it in the Financial Aid Questionnaire blank?


I do not, and I also just left that blank. I would double check with financial aid, though.


I'm sure one of the emails they sent out said we'd be sent one shortly after admission, but I checked though all my emails from Columbia today and I definitely haven't received one. In any case, they'll be able to check it's you from the combination of name/SSN so I'm going to send my stuff over without it....

User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby TheKisSquared » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:02 am

bec27 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
LALaw90210 wrote:Does anyone have a Columbia ID number yet? If not, did you just leave the space that asks for it in the Financial Aid Questionnaire blank?


I do not, and I also just left that blank. I would double check with financial aid, though.


I'm sure one of the emails they sent out said we'd be sent one shortly after admission, but I checked though all my emails from Columbia today and I definitely haven't received one. In any case, they'll be able to check it's you from the combination of name/SSN so I'm going to send my stuff over without it....


My logic exactly.

User avatar
WinterComing

Silver
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby WinterComing » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Two questions:

1. For others who were admitted by snail mail, have you received any further emails or other correspondence from Columbia since then? I haven't, and it seems a little weird maybe.

2. I know this has been asked above and in other places on TLS, but I haven't seen any real answer, which I suppose might mean the answer is no. Anyone here attempted or had any luck trying to turn a Butler into a Hamilton?

User avatar
jtg21

Bronze
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby jtg21 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:42 pm

WinterComing wrote:Two questions:

1. For others who were admitted by snail mail, have you received any further emails or other correspondence from Columbia since then? I haven't, and it seems a little weird maybe.

2. I know this has been asked above and in other places on TLS, but I haven't seen any real answer, which I suppose might mean the answer is no. Anyone here attempted or had any luck trying to turn a Butler into a Hamilton?


When you say admitted by snail mail, are you saying that you didn't receive the email acceptance first/ever?

Since my acceptance, I've received a decent amount of communication from them. They send like a Friday newsletter each week, plus I've gotten financial aid reminders, and registration emails for receptions/ASWs. So you should definitely be getting all that, and I think it's worth reaching out if you haven't since I'm sure it's an error.

User avatar
WinterComing

Silver
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby WinterComing » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:53 pm

jtg21 wrote:
WinterComing wrote:Two questions:

1. For others who were admitted by snail mail, have you received any further emails or other correspondence from Columbia since then? I haven't, and it seems a little weird maybe.

2. I know this has been asked above and in other places on TLS, but I haven't seen any real answer, which I suppose might mean the answer is no. Anyone here attempted or had any luck trying to turn a Butler into a Hamilton?


When you say admitted by snail mail, are you saying that you didn't receive the email acceptance first/ever?

Since my acceptance, I've received a decent amount of communication from them. They send like a Friday newsletter each week, plus I've gotten financial aid reminders, and registration emails for receptions/ASWs. So you should definitely be getting all that, and I think it's worth reaching out if you haven't since I'm sure it's an error.


Correct. I have received no emails ever. Just the acceptance packet in the mail. I'll call them.

User avatar
Hildegard15

Gold
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby Hildegard15 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:03 am

WinterComing wrote:Two questions:

1. For others who were admitted by snail mail, have you received any further emails or other correspondence from Columbia since then? I haven't, and it seems a little weird maybe.
?


My acceptance came by snail mail and I also haven't received any emails except for confirmation of me registering for ASW.

User avatar
annaliesman

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby annaliesman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:53 am

jtg21 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:Officially going to the March 2-3 ASW! Got my travel subsidy approved and staying with a friend in Brooklyn. Getting pretty pumped :D


Whoo, see you there! :) Only a couple more weeks!


What are you guys planning on wearing to ASW? I'm not sure what the dress code is :?

User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:13 pm

annaliesman wrote:
jtg21 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:Officially going to the March 2-3 ASW! Got my travel subsidy approved and staying with a friend in Brooklyn. Getting pretty pumped :D


Whoo, see you there! :) Only a couple more weeks!


What are you guys planning on wearing to ASW? I'm not sure what the dress code is :?


Nice jeans/pants and tops - no T-shirts, but not a suit or anything. I might carry a blazer or sweater with me. Weather looks like it won't be completely miserable.

User avatar
TheKisSquared

Silver
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Also - Fellow ASW goers - Anyone start your homework yet? :P I was just planning on reading it on the train.

User avatar
jtg21

Bronze
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby jtg21 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:44 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:Also - Fellow ASW goers - Anyone start your homework yet? :P I was just planning on reading it on the train.


I've got a lovely plane ride for it. :) Though I did start skimming yesterday.

User avatar
schocolate

Silver
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby schocolate » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:03 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:Also - Fellow ASW goers - Anyone start your homework yet? :P I was just planning on reading it on the train.


I just printed it out. Everybody ready for mock cold calls?

User avatar
jtg21

Bronze
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Postby jtg21 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:15 pm

schocolate wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:Also - Fellow ASW goers - Anyone start your homework yet? :P I was just planning on reading it on the train.


I just printed it out. Everybody ready for mock cold calls?


Hmm, definitely should've registered under a different name...:P I didn't even think about the possibility of cold calls!



Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests