Columbia Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you getting here?

July
4%
August 1-August 4
13%
August 5-9
26%
August 10-August 15
57%

Total votes: 23

frasier

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Post by frasier » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:01 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:It's posted on Lawnet under "Check Grades" on the right side of the screen "Grading Guidelines for Upper-Year Courses and Seminars"
Thanks!

KingWolf72

New

Post by KingWolf72 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Does anyone have a sense of what the upper year curve is? There is a lot of speculation on this and other threads about the 1L curve, but I haven't been able to find anything about what the 2L curve would be. Specifically, does anyone have any insight into what a 3.57/3.6 or a 3.7 GPA would be on the upper level curve? Thanks!

asaucyintruder

New

Post by asaucyintruder » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 pm

KingWolf72 wrote:Does anyone have a sense of what the upper year curve is? There is a lot of speculation on this and other threads about the 1L curve, but I haven't been able to find anything about what the 2L curve would be. Specifically, does anyone have any insight into what a 3.57/3.6 or a 3.7 GPA would be on the upper level curve? Thanks!
It's posted on Lawnet to the right when you're checking your grades.

KingWolf72

New

Post by KingWolf72 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:52 pm

asaucyintruder wrote:
KingWolf72 wrote:Does anyone have a sense of what the upper year curve is? There is a lot of speculation on this and other threads about the 1L curve, but I haven't been able to find anything about what the 2L curve would be. Specifically, does anyone have any insight into what a 3.57/3.6 or a 3.7 GPA would be on the upper level curve? Thanks!
Hi, thanks! I'm aware of the grade distribution chart, but that's a bit different than the overall curve--though its certainly a useful tool from which one with superior inferential skills might extrapolate the curve. I'm looking more for a GPA curve, i.e. what is a median GPA? What is a top 20% GPA? 10%? etc. For instance, the word seems to be that 1L median is somewhere slightly below or above a 3.33. I was looking to see if there were any informed guesses as to what that might be for 2Ls--or upper level students, more broadly. Thanks again, though.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:03 pm

KingWolf72 wrote:
asaucyintruder wrote:
Hi, thanks! I'm aware of the grade distribution chart, but that's a bit different than the overall curve--though its certainly a useful tool from which one with superior inferential skills might extrapolate the curve. I'm looking more for a GPA curve, i.e. what is a median GPA? What is a top 20% GPA? 10%? etc. For instance, the word seems to be that 1L median is somewhere slightly below or above a 3.33. I was looking to see if there were any informed guesses as to what that might be for 2Ls--or upper level students, more broadly. Thanks again, though.
Seems difficult if not impossible to accurately peg an average upper year GPA. People in upper years take different credit mixes of seminars and lecture courses (which have different curves). People also fill their schedules with clinics/externships/cross-listed courses at other schools etc. Median for 1Ls is comparatively very easy to peg since the only difference between 1L's schedules is one elective in the spring semester.

The meaningful guideposts for understanding upper year/overall law school performance at CLS are RBG prize (for getting Kent all 3 years), Kent, or Stone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”