Columbia Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you getting here?

July
4%
August 1-August 4
13%
August 5-9
26%
August 10-August 15
57%

Total votes: 23

TheKisSquared

Silver

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Post by TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:36 pm

ftge232 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
ftge232 wrote:Wasn't offered any money... should I be attempting to negotiate for anything with a 175 LSAT and 25<GPA<50? Didn't get anything from NYU or Chicago either
The answer is always 'yes' to 'should I be trying to negotiate scholly money.' The worst they say is no.

Thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=2325
Do you figure I have a decent chance at all with my numbers?
First of all, I'm not a financial aid committee and can't really answer that for you.
Second, they haven't started offering non-named merit/need-based aid yet, so you should wait until that comes out.
Third, I have no idea what your numbers are. The thread I linked to might be more generally useful to you on this topic.

ETA goldfish memory
Last edited by TheKisSquared on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ftge232

Bronze

Post by ftge232 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:08 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
ftge232 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
ftge232 wrote:Wasn't offered any money... should I be attempting to negotiate for anything with a 175 LSAT and 25<GPA<50? Didn't get anything from NYU or Chicago either
The answer is always 'yes' to 'should I be trying to negotiate scholly money.' The worst they say is no.

Thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=2325
Do you figure I have a decent chance at all with my numbers?
First of all, I'm not a financial aid committee and can't really answer that for you.
Second, they haven't started offering non-named merit/need-based aid yet, so you should wait until that comes out.
Third, I have no idea what your numbers are. The thread I linked to might be more generally useful to you on this topic.
I gave you my numbers

but aight dude thanks for the pointer, i'll ask in there

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:08 pm

ftge232 wrote: I gave you my numbers

but aight dude thanks for the pointer, i'll ask in there
Fixed in my other post.
But yeah, unfortunately I'm not even sure how effective negotiations with Columbia are. They have a hefty endowment, so I understand they're pretty good about need stuff, but I don't know about merit/general negotiation. I don't think they're really falling over themself to attract people they didn't give up front aid to, I don't think they need to.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:14 pm

In response to all this numbers talk I made a sample budget and feel both worse and better about Columbia (worse because zomg NYC COL better because I think I can cover everything I absolutely *need* with little to no problem).

*sigh* Scholarships won't really change how much of my own money I end up using *in* law school.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:42 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:In response to all this numbers talk I made a sample budget and feel both worse and better about Columbia (worse because zomg NYC COL better because I think I can cover everything I absolutely *need* with little to no problem).

*sigh* Scholarships won't really change how much of my own money I end up using *in* law school.
All of the other schools I've looked at, I've done a lot of research into what rent looks like, how much I'll be spending on transportation, how expensive local stores are, etc.

For CLS, I haven't bothered because I know I'm going to be messed up by that COL anyways, so I may as well live in blissful ignorance until my first loan bill arrives.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:08 pm

benwyatt wrote:Alright, my CLS hype is greater than I expected after the ASDs
PREACH!

Also, for everyone I did meet, y'all are awesome. And thank you to the TLSer who accompanied me to the train after the open bar at the reception kicked my ass. You're the best :mrgreen:

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:55 am

Hildegard15 wrote:
PREACH!

Also, for everyone I did meet, y'all are awesome. And thank you to the TLSer who accompanied me to the train after the open bar at the reception kicked my ass. You're the best :mrgreen:
So upset I missed this. I actually thought you were invincible and no one/nothing could kick your ass. Myths. Being. Shattered.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:01 am

jetsfan1 wrote: So upset I missed this.
+100000. This makes me sad that I won't be making it to any full-length, rockin' good time ASWs :(

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:24 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:
So upset I missed this. I actually thought you were invincible and no one/nothing could kick your ass. Myths. Being. Shattered.
since the only thing that can come close to leveling me is ingesting copious amounts of poisonous liquid, I still would advise you to bet on me in the Hunger Games. :P 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

schocolate

Silver

Post by schocolate » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:19 pm

The Columbia reception was 180.

I adore all of you.

jtg21

Bronze

Post by jtg21 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:27 pm

schocolate wrote:The Columbia reception was 180.

I adore all of you.
+360

DC006

New

Post by DC006 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:01 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
DC006 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
LittleGiants16 wrote:
schocolate wrote:Also, re: mock classes, anyone with Jamal Greene?
*points to self*
This guy.
Huang here
I got Huang too
You an expert on Strict Liability yet?
I'm a little late. But I'd say I know enough haha. Did you participate in the discussion?

ampersaandy

New

Post by ampersaandy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:27 pm

Has anyone who applied for grant applications and financial aid received any news? Just wondering if/when I should start aggressively begging for money :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jtg21

Bronze

Post by jtg21 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:31 pm

ampersaandy wrote:Has anyone who applied for grant applications and financial aid received any news? Just wondering if/when I should start aggressively begging for money :lol:
The financial aid office told me that finaid would not come out until the beginning of April at the earliest. Other than those who have already received the named merit aid awards with their acceptances.

ampersaandy

New

Post by ampersaandy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:59 pm

jtg21 wrote:
ampersaandy wrote:Has anyone who applied for grant applications and financial aid received any news? Just wondering if/when I should start aggressively begging for money :lol:
The financial aid office told me that finaid would not come out until the beginning of April at the earliest. Other than those who have already received the named merit aid awards with their acceptances.
Great, thanks!

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:51 am

jtg21 wrote:
schocolate wrote:The Columbia reception was 180.

I adore all of you.
+360
I am so late to this party, but +540

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:53 am

Hildegard15 wrote:
PREACH!

:D :D 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:29 pm

So my excitement at being accepted this morning has been undercut by sheer panic at seeing they wanted tax returns by March 1st. The checklist on the questionnaire says "or immediately after acceptance," but the financial aid section of the admitted students website does not. If I send them in now do you think I'll be ok or am I SOL?

ampersaandy

New

Post by ampersaandy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:32 pm

nicknar wrote:So my excitement at being accepted this morning has been undercut by sheer panic at seeing they wanted tax returns by March 1st. The checklist on the questionnaire says "or immediately after acceptance," but the financial aid section of the admitted students website does not. If I send them in now do you think I'll be ok or am I SOL?
The 3/1 date was a soft deadline, even for people admitted before 3/1. You're going to be fine, just send them in as soon as you can.

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:38 pm

ampersaandy wrote:
nicknar wrote:So my excitement at being accepted this morning has been undercut by sheer panic at seeing they wanted tax returns by March 1st. The checklist on the questionnaire says "or immediately after acceptance," but the financial aid section of the admitted students website does not. If I send them in now do you think I'll be ok or am I SOL?
The 3/1 date was a soft deadline, even for people admitted before 3/1. You're going to be fine, just send them in as soon as you can.
That's a relief—thanks!

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Is there anyone who hasn't gotten their Columbia ID yet? Not sure if I'm missing something or not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:Is there anyone who hasn't gotten their Columbia ID yet? Not sure if I'm missing something or not.
Me

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:Is there anyone who hasn't gotten their Columbia ID yet? Not sure if I'm missing something or not.
I'm pretty positive you don't get one until you're enrolled as a student hence why the third page of the fin aid form says "don't fill this out if you're gonna be a 1L"

frasier

Bronze

Post by frasier » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:49 pm

where in the world is this "activate" button on their website that I need to click in order to access the admitted students webpage?

EDIT: NVM. I think the issue is that I was already logged into the MyColumbia account

DC006

New

Post by DC006 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Are you talking about the UNI (University Network ID) or the PID?

To activate your UNI just follow the instructions found in the New Student Guide, which can be found on the taskbar of the admitted students website.

To view your PID, you can go to ssol.columbia.edu. You will need your UNI to log in. Once you're logged in, go to Addresses: View and Update. At the top it might say "Hide my name and personal data". Change it to "Show my name and personal data" and it will show you your PID. A bit complicated and there might be an easier way but this works for me.

As mentioned on here, it might be the case that you have to be enrolled in order to get a PID (I am enrolled).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”