Columbia Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you getting here?

July
4%
August 1-August 4
13%
August 5-9
26%
August 10-August 15
57%

Total votes: 23

chickensoup1234

New

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2019

Post by chickensoup1234 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:35 am

Checking in - nothing to add tho :| Flying in to visit for the first time early next week. Any must-go places/things to eat/see/do?

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Checking in! :D

DC006

New

Post by DC006 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:28 am

Checking in as well!

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:29 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:Got my acceptance package in the mail today so it feels real enough to check in here now :)
How long after your email did your package come? Email said they put it in the mail on Jan. 28 and still haven't gotten it.....

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:51 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:Got my acceptance package in the mail today so it feels real enough to check in here now :)
How long after your email did your package come? Email said they put it in the mail on Jan. 28 and still haven't gotten it.....
Mine arrived 11 days after the email

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:28 am

EnderWiggin wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Mine arrived 11 days after the email
I will try not to worry until Wednesday, then. Ha!
Thanks!

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:12 am

I reaally need to update the OP. :oops:

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:33 am

Got my envelope last night! EEEE 8) :D 8) :D

I'm debating between which ASD to do - I haven't heard from NYU yet and was hoping to combine the two (assuming I'm admitted to NYU....). That overlapping day is frustrating. If I want to do them both, I have to do the end of March one. If I want to do two trips (so much time off from work :? ) I have to do Columbia beginning and NYU at the end.

Also the admitted students handbook says they provide up to $300 on a need basis - has anyone tried applying for one yet? What sort of 'need' are they expecting you to demonstrate? Also - how subsidized are the hotels.....

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:41 am

TheKisSquared wrote:Got my envelope last night! EEEE 8) :D 8) :D

I'm debating between which ASD to do - I haven't heard from NYU yet and was hoping to combine the two (assuming I'm admitted to NYU....). That overlapping day is frustrating. If I want to do them both, I have to do the end of March one. If I want to do two trips (so much time off from work :? ) I have to do Columbia beginning and NYU at the end.

Also the admitted students handbook says they provide up to $300 on a need basis - has anyone tried applying for one yet? What sort of 'need' are they expecting you to demonstrate? Also - how subsidized are the hotels.....
The application is pretty subjective - it asks you to describe your financial situation and how this trip would strain it, it asks to describe / estimate the expenses of the trip, and if you're visiting any other schools on the same trip/how much those schools will kick in.

And some basic questions about where you're coming.

It also only is concerned with travel to and from NYC. No lodging/expenses/transit once you're there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:53 am

slippin_jimmy wrote:

The application is pretty subjective - it asks you to describe your financial situation and how this trip would strain it, it asks to describe / estimate the expenses of the trip, and if you're visiting any other schools on the same trip/how much those schools will kick in.

It also only is concerned with travel to and from NYC. No lodging/expenses/transit once you're there.
It sounds like they had a deal set up with some of the hotels in the area (I don't have the book in front of me but it mentioned something about partnering with them) - I figured it was just a small discount if you mentioned the weekend and you might be better with Obrtiz or similar (or staying with a friend :wink: ).

Thanks!

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:57 am

TheKisSquared wrote:
slippin_jimmy wrote:

It sounds like they had a deal set up with some of the hotels in the area (I don't have the book in front of me but it mentioned something about partnering with them) - I figured it was just a small discount if you mentioned the weekend and you might be better with Obrtiz or similar (or staying with a friend :wink: ).

Thanks!
Good luck - I'm not sure about the hotels, but it might be worth calling admissions to ask! I just impose on friends when I'm in the city.

mynameiskevin

New

Post by mynameiskevin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Has anyone got the Columbia UNI yet? I only have the account for ASW and PID number...

nahmjun

New

Post by nahmjun » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:00 am

ED admissions, so definitely will attend Columbia!

Checking in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Guys ---- don't forget the grant deadline application is coming up!

jtg21

Bronze

Post by jtg21 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:40 pm

ugg wrote:Guys ---- don't forget the grant deadline application is coming up!
Isn't it March 1, or am I missing something?

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:42 pm

jtg21 wrote:
The Need Access application is a bitch. I highly recommend starting it as soon as possible. (also FILE YOUR TAXES)

jtg21

Bronze

Post by jtg21 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:53 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
jtg21 wrote:
The Need Access application is a bitch. I highly recommend starting it as soon as possible. (also FILE YOUR TAXES)
I am and my need access is mostly done. Other deadlines are sooner, but I was just double checking re supplements and actual tax forms. I am on my parents' case to file by the end of the month, since their forms are more complicated than mine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:55 pm

jtg21 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
jtg21 wrote:
I am and my need access is mostly done. Other deadlines are sooner, but I was just double checking re supplements and actual tax forms. I am on my parents' case to file by the end of the month, since their forms are more complicated than mine.
Yeah I'm... really concerned about parent stuff. There's a reason I've been independent since sophomore year of college. :|

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Hey, so I find this to be a little ambiguous in their materials and am hoping someone can clarify: I do not need to file the financial aid questionnaire to be considered for an unnamed merit award, correct? I'm not applying for need-based aid, so I believe I can just sit and wait, but I wanted to confirm that

lnick93

Bronze

Post by lnick93 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:53 pm

KiltedKicker wrote:Hey, so I find this to be a little ambiguous in their materials and am hoping someone can clarify: I do not need to file the financial aid questionnaire to be considered for an unnamed merit award, correct? I'm not applying for need-based aid, so I believe I can just sit and wait, but I wanted to confirm that
Yes you do. Columbia does not do "unnamed merit awards" the way other schools do. You either get a named award or you have to submit all of the information for need based aid, and you'll get a "grant" that is a mix of merit and need-based, but they frame it as all need-based.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:57 pm

Officially going to the March 2-3 ASW! Got my travel subsidy approved and staying with a friend in Brooklyn. Getting pretty pumped :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jtg21

Bronze

Post by jtg21 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:04 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:Officially going to the March 2-3 ASW! Got my travel subsidy approved and staying with a friend in Brooklyn. Getting pretty pumped :D
Whoo, see you there! :) Only a couple more weeks!

DC006

New

Post by DC006 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:39 pm

jtg21 wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:Officially going to the March 2-3 ASW! Got my travel subsidy approved and staying with a friend in Brooklyn. Getting pretty pumped :D
Whoo, see you there! :) Only a couple more weeks!
Will also be in attendance!

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:36 pm

Anyone planning on going to the late March event?

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:17 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:Anyone planning on going to the late March event?
Yeah -- just bought my plane tickets

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”