UVA Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where are you living for 1L?

Pavilion
24%
Ivy Gardens
29%
Jeffersonian
6%
Arlington Park
3%
Stonefield Commons
No votes
City Walk
3%
Jefferson Ridge
2%
In a house/townhouse/non-apartment
24%
Other (Feel free to mention in thread!)
10%

Total votes: 63

UVA2B

Gold

Re: UVA Law Class of 2019

Post by UVA2B » Sat May 28, 2016 10:54 pm

thebrownnote wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
thebrownnote wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Extremely late to the party! Wanted to say hi to everyone heading to Cville next Fall!
Congrats, welcome to the cult.
Where do I get my pastel colored robe?
You can only collect it after you have first earned your koozie and croakies.
So softball season?

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sun May 29, 2016 12:32 am

coldmonkey13 wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:Just withdrew from Harvard's waitlist and paid my second seat deposit yesterday so I guess it's officially official that I'll be at UVA in August! So glad this process is completely over and so excited to be starting with you guys this fall! Lawhoowa!
This please me.
Thank you! I think our class is going to be pretty kick ass.

coldmonkey13

Bronze

Post by coldmonkey13 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:09 am

~
Last edited by coldmonkey13 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Congrats to everyone starting here in the fall! I just graduated and can assure you you've made an excellent decision :D

If any of you are already in town, I have supplements for every 1L class (plus the Crim casebook which may or may not still be used) that I'm looking to give away. Books are in good shape, though most have a good amount of writing and highlighting. Completely free, just come take them off my hands and pay it forward to the next guy.

Shoot me a PM if interested!

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:47 pm

Taken. Best of luck next year guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mathis1490

Bronze

Post by mathis1490 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:40 am

Last edited by mathis1490 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:48 pm

So about how many people in a given year actually fail LRW? 0? 1? 20? Approximately how little effort needs to be put in to Pass?

wilt

Silver

Post by wilt » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:05 pm

hey I just recently got in off the waitlist, is there anyone else who had to make the choice between like nyu/cls vs uva who would wanna talk things through?

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Nagster5 wrote:So about how many people in a given year actually fail LRW? 0? 1? 20? Approximately how little effort needs to be put in to Pass?
I haven't heard of a single person failing this past year, but it may have happened. I imagine its not the sort of thing you'd advertise if you got the "U" on the transcript.

While the effort needed to pass pretty minimal compared to, say, the effort that would be needed to produce product that I would be willing to show anyone that mattered, the sad truth is that the big assignments are still decently time consuming. Students here tend to fall into two categories: Either you think that every moment spent on LRW is a moment wasted or you believe that it is the most valuable class of your 1L year. I fall into the first category so I cannot explain why anyone would fall into the second.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:50 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
skip537 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the class of 2019 yet?
There are two actually. One facilitated by the school and one that the incoming class created.

ETA: the school made "UVA Law Class of 2019" and the student-created one is called "UVA Law Class of 2019 Lawhoos" We're having all sorts of fun in the Lawhoos group so find us!
Is it just me, or is everyone in these groups white? Maybe I'm just seeing what I (don't) want to see.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:52 pm

thebrownnote wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
skip537 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the class of 2019 yet?
There are two actually. One facilitated by the school and one that the incoming class created.

ETA: the school made "UVA Law Class of 2019" and the student-created one is called "UVA Law Class of 2019 Lawhoos" We're having all sorts of fun in the Lawhoos group so find us!
Is it just me, or is everyone in these groups white? Maybe I'm just seeing what I (don't) want to see.
That's absolutely not true. There's actually quite a mix of race and cultural backgrounds from what I've seen so far. Are you following the introductions on the Lawhoos page?

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:56 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
thebrownnote wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:

That's absolutely not true. There's actually quite a mix of race and cultural backgrounds from what I've seen so far. Are you following the introductions on the Lawhoos page?
Nah, just logged on to facebook for the first time in a long while, haven't joined either of the groups, so I was just stalking the profile pictures. I'm happy to be wrong though.

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:58 am

Somewhat random, but is there a roommate matching spreadsheet anywhere for Law class of '19? I'm actually starting at Darden (the b-school) in the fall, but wouldn't be opposed to rooming with a law student. Plus we're neighbors on campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thanksmeatcat

New

Post by thanksmeatcat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:49 pm

Does anyone have any insight on (even photos of) room B in a three-bedroom at the Pavilion? I asked the leasing office for a photo of the room before I sign my lease, but they won't send me anything besides a floor plan. I just want to know if I'm signing up for a dungeon before I have to fork over a bunch of cash!

redsxfan2010

New

Post by redsxfan2010 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Last edited by redsxfan2010 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:36 pm

It's been too long since a UVA post, so in honor of my avatasake:

Making A Murderer Season 2 y'all! let's appeal this insanity!

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:02 pm

redsxfan2010 wrote:
thanksmeatcat wrote:Does anyone have any insight on (even photos of) room B in a three-bedroom at the Pavilion? I asked the leasing office for a photo of the room before I sign my lease, but they won't send me anything besides a floor plan. I just want to know if I'm signing up for a dungeon before I have to fork over a bunch of cash!
It won't be a dungeon. I looked at the two bedroom and they are quite nice. For some reason they feel slightly small (idk why because they actually have a ton of floor space) but all the apts are incredibly nice. Will it be expensive? Yes. Will you get a quality apartment? Yes.
Don't get suckered into the pavilion. I dodged that bullet but everyone I know who didn't regrets their choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:24 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:
redsxfan2010 wrote:
thanksmeatcat wrote:Does anyone have any insight on (even photos of) room B in a three-bedroom at the Pavilion? I asked the leasing office for a photo of the room before I sign my lease, but they won't send me anything besides a floor plan. I just want to know if I'm signing up for a dungeon before I have to fork over a bunch of cash!
It won't be a dungeon. I looked at the two bedroom and they are quite nice. For some reason they feel slightly small (idk why because they actually have a ton of floor space) but all the apts are incredibly nice. Will it be expensive? Yes. Will you get a quality apartment? Yes.
Don't get suckered into the pavilion. I dodged that bullet but everyone I know who didn't regrets their choice.

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Figured I'd revive this somewhat moribund thread with a question:

Where are people getting furniture? I sold all my stuff on the other side of the country, and the nearest Ikea is nearly 2 hours away.

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:57 pm

thebrownnote wrote:Figured I'd revive this somewhat moribund thread with a question:

Where are people getting furniture? I sold all my stuff on the other side of the country, and the nearest Ikea is nearly 2 hours away.
I actually ordered from Ikea. It was like a $99 delivery fee.

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:41 pm

There's a Target about 15-20 minutes away from the school, and a Bed Bath and Beyond on Barracks road - though I guess that's more home goods than furniture.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:20 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:So about how many people in a given year actually fail LRW? 0? 1? 20? Approximately how little effort needs to be put in to Pass?
I haven't heard of a single person failing this past year, but it may have happened. I imagine its not the sort of thing you'd advertise if you got the "U" on the transcript.

While the effort needed to pass pretty minimal compared to, say, the effort that would be needed to produce product that I would be willing to show anyone that mattered, the sad truth is that the big assignments are still decently time consuming. Students here tend to fall into two categories: Either you think that every moment spent on LRW is a moment wasted or you believe that it is the most valuable class of your 1L year. I fall into the first category so I cannot explain why anyone would fall into the second.
I was firmly in the first category too: every moment spent on LRW was a moment that could have been spent on substantive courses and/or drinking. Preferably and.

For one of our first assignments that went to the TA for feedback, my feedback was along the lines of "please promise me you will never submit anything like this to a professor or employer" :D

LRW is an annoying time-sink though, and if you "fail" you do have to take some remedial LRW course second year or something, so that's definitely worth avoiding.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:43 am

thesealocust wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

I was firmly in the first category too: every moment spent on LRW was a moment that could have been spent on substantive courses and/or drinking. Preferably and.

For one of our first assignments that went to the TA for feedback, my feedback was along the lines of "please promise me you will never submit anything like this to a professor or employer" :D

LRW is an annoying time-sink though, and if you "fail" you do have to take some remedial LRW course second year or something, so that's definitely worth avoiding.
Want to echo this - put forth a minimum good-faith effort and have fun with the oral argument.

Also - my first assignment as a summer I wrote it like I was taught in LRW. Came back in about twenty minutes with an e-mail of "make this shorter". Even when you write legal memos at a law firm, they will be way different than the shit you write in LRW. It's a pretty worthless class beyond practicing writing in general.

uncledog

New

Post by uncledog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Happy new year, everyone!

After being stricken by some sort of plague at the beginning of 2017, there're only so many activities that I can use to distract myself from the nagging question about the grades. :roll:

Does anyone know when the deadline for 1L grades is?
Last edited by uncledog on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 pm

uncledog wrote:Happy new year, everyone!

After being stricken by some sort of plague at the beginning of 2017, there're only so many activities that I can use to distract myself from the nagging question about the grades. :roll:

Does anyone know when the deadline 1L grades is?
The deadline for professors to submit grades is January 20th. Some grades have started to trickle out I've heard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”