UVA Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where are you living for 1L?

Pavilion
24%
Ivy Gardens
29%
Jeffersonian
6%
Arlington Park
3%
Stonefield Commons
No votes
City Walk
3%
Jefferson Ridge
2%
In a house/townhouse/non-apartment
24%
Other (Feel free to mention in thread!)
10%

Total votes: 63

bellanoche2019

New

Re: UVA Law Class of 2019

Post by bellanoche2019 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:41 am

Nagster5 wrote:
bellanoche2019 wrote:
thebrownnote wrote:So other than Ivy Gardens and Pavilion, does anybody have suggestions for 1 bedroom apartments within walking distance? Or a 2 bedroom that costs less than a pavilion one bedroom would be cool too. I'm just too old for a roommate at this point.

Thanks!
Arlington Court is a good one that I've heard about. I'm not sure if it's walking distance. The Jeffersonian has excellent reviews and is right across the street from the law school and Pav. Jeffersonian is difficult to get into though so you would need to apply now. They have furnished options at the Jeffersonian as well.
AC is closer than Pav
Thanks! I wasn't sure the location but that's even better.

bellanoche2019

New

Post by bellanoche2019 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:42 am

thebrownnote wrote:So other than Ivy Gardens and Pavilion, does anybody have suggestions for 1 bedroom apartments within walking distance? Or a 2 bedroom that costs less than a pavilion one bedroom would be cool too. I'm just too old for a roommate at this point.

Thanks!
nagster5 wrote:

bellanoche2019 wrote:
thebrownnote wrote:
So other than Ivy Gardens and Pavilion, does anybody have suggestions for 1 bedroom apartments within walking distance? Or a 2 bedroom that costs less than a pavilion one bedroom would be cool too. I'm just too old for a roommate at this point.

Thanks!

Arlington Court is a good one that I've heard about. I'm not sure if it's walking distance. The Jeffersonian has excellent reviews and is right across the street from the law school and Pav. Jeffersonian is difficult to get into though so you would need to apply now. They have furnished options at the Jeffersonian as well.

AC is closer than Pav

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:46 pm

New poll!

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:04 pm

GreekOmega12 wrote:New poll!
Thanks!

stig2014

Bronze

Post by stig2014 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 pm

What's the verdict on UVA graduate housing? Worth looking into, or better to stay off campus?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 am

stig2014 wrote:What's the verdict on UVA graduate housing? Worth looking into, or better to stay off campus?
Havent seen it, but I've heard really, really bad things.

bellanoche2019

New

Post by bellanoche2019 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:56 am

stig2014 wrote:What's the verdict on UVA graduate housing? Worth looking into, or better to stay off campus?
According to admins most people don't really live there. They say majority of students stay off campus

lawschoolbound2016

New

Post by lawschoolbound2016 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:33 am

I'd definitely stay off campus. Copeley Hill is pretty awful looking. But it's cheap, that's for sure. U Gardens isn't as bad, but the off campus places are definitely nicer.

you what

New

Post by you what » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Is it me, or did UVA just raise their tuition for next year? My financial aid package is now $3000 lower than estimated costs, and the posted tuition isn't what I had in my comparison spreadsheet. Little confused here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:31 pm

you what wrote:Is it me, or did UVA just raise their tuition for next year? My financial aid package is now $3000 lower than estimated costs, and the posted tuition isn't what I had in my comparison spreadsheet. Little confused here.
Maybe they classified you as out-of-state? That would explain $3,000 difference.

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:29 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
you what wrote:Is it me, or did UVA just raise their tuition for next year? My financial aid package is now $3000 lower than estimated costs, and the posted tuition isn't what I had in my comparison spreadsheet. Little confused here.
Maybe they classified you as out-of-state? That would explain $3,000 difference.
I think they did. My aid was initially calculated on $57000 out of state, but it's now $59300 I think.

ohthatjenn

New

Post by ohthatjenn » Tue May 03, 2016 5:26 pm

Last edited by ohthatjenn on Sat May 14, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Wed May 04, 2016 6:27 pm

ohthatjenn wrote: I visited the Pav, Jeff, and some other apts but I liked Ivy the best. Also it only took me 7 minutes to walk to the law building at
I'm visiting in a week or so to scope out an apartment, mind sharing what made you liked about ivy or disliked about the rest?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ohthatjenn

New

Post by ohthatjenn » Wed May 04, 2016 11:25 pm

thebrownnote wrote: I'm visiting in a week or so to scope out an apartment, mind sharing what made you liked about ivy or disliked about the rest?
Sure! Pav is really nice, but for me it wasn't worth the extra $750+. No availability at Jeff, but even if they had something I would've picked Ivy bc everything (appliances, bathroom vanity, etc.) seemed older at Jeffersonian. I didn't check out Arlington at all bc it didn't seem like they had 2bd 2ba units. I checked out a few houses & one apartment near Wingstop (? can't remember the exact name), but decided I wanted to walk to school and be able to go home for lunch. If you are okay with driving or taking the bus, there should be better/cheaper options available! I loved Charlottesville and am so excited to be there this August! Good luck with your search and keep us all updated :)

HoosOnFirst

New

Post by HoosOnFirst » Thu May 05, 2016 8:39 am

ohthatjenn wrote:
thebrownnote wrote: I'm visiting in a week or so to scope out an apartment, mind sharing what made you liked about ivy or disliked about the rest?
Sure! Pav is really nice, but for me it wasn't worth the extra $750+. No availability at Jeff, but even if they had something I would've picked Ivy bc everything (appliances, bathroom vanity, etc.) seemed older at Jeffersonian. I didn't check out Arlington at all bc it didn't seem like they had 2bd 2ba units. I checked out a few houses & one apartment near Wingstop (? can't remember the exact name), but decided I wanted to walk to school and be able to go home for lunch. If you are okay with driving or taking the bus, there should be better/cheaper options available! I loved Charlottesville and am so excited to be there this August! Good luck with your search and keep us all updated :)
You mean Wings Over, like on Ivy?

djung25

New

Post by djung25 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Has anybody received any word/email/mail since putting down their first deposit?
I was hoping for a nice welcome packet or something. haha

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Thu May 05, 2016 2:25 pm

djung25 wrote:Has anybody received any word/email/mail since putting down their first deposit?
Nada. Eventually ordered myself a shirt and car decal from the UVA bookstore online.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Thu May 05, 2016 2:35 pm

philawsopher wrote:
djung25 wrote:Has anybody received any word/email/mail since putting down their first deposit?
Nada. Eventually ordered myself a shirt and car decal from the UVA bookstore online.
Ooh I need to do this! Do they have UVA Law stuff on there?

HoosOnFirst

New

Post by HoosOnFirst » Thu May 05, 2016 2:57 pm

philawsopher wrote:
I got a little "_# things to do before you graduate UVA Law" poster in the mail(I think it was 36 things... can't remember), but that's all.

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Thu May 05, 2016 5:23 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
philawsopher wrote:
Yes, the university bookstore has a whole Law section: http://uvabookstores.com/shop_law.asp?

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Thu May 05, 2016 6:29 pm

philawsopher wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
philawsopher wrote:
Yes, the university bookstore has a whole Law section: http://uvabookstores.com/shop_law.asp?
I had to get off of that website before I spent my next paycheck and my husband killed me. So much stuff!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Thu May 05, 2016 9:48 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
philawsopher wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
philawsopher wrote:
I had to get off of that website before I spent my next paycheck and my husband killed me. So much stuff!
I feel so spoiled by Wash U's free t-shirt, and I've heard rumors of a mythical yale snuggie. Come on UVA, step up your game!

I too went and dropped far too much money on clothing... I do hope at some point they send out some sort of welcome packet, even if it doesn't have free stuff.

charlottesville2016

New

Post by charlottesville2016 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:42 pm

I see a lot of you are starting to look for housing. I'm a graduating 3L looking for someone to sublet my room in the Pavilion for June -July, dates negotiable. Perfect if you want to get settled into Charlottesville over the summer. My roommate will be here studying for the bar but there is lots of space and the bathrooms are separate. PM me if you are interested!

steakout319

New

Post by steakout319 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Anybody have opinions on the UVA computer packages versus open market and would like to share?

Here's the link for the UVA package FWIW: http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop_law.asp

thebrownnote

Bronze

Post by thebrownnote » Fri May 06, 2016 3:23 pm

steakout319 wrote:Anybody have opinions on the UVA computer packages versus open market and would like to share?

Here's the link for the UVA package FWIW: http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop_law.asp
Oh man do I have opinions... were you thinking mac or pc? Both of those options are overpriced for what they are. For Mac I would look at the newer macbook airs that were just released. And for pc I would look at the dell xps 13. If you had a specific budget in mind I can probably provide a recommendation. Personally I don't think you need a 3 year accident warranty, but I'm not very clumsy with my laptop either.

Also, for anyone buying a new comp, keep in mind that uva lets you download Microsoft Office for free, so don't pay extra for it: http://its.virginia.edu/software/displa ... php?tId=27

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”