UVA Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where are you living for 1L?

Pavilion
24%
Ivy Gardens
29%
Jeffersonian
6%
Arlington Park
3%
Stonefield Commons
No votes
City Walk
3%
Jefferson Ridge
2%
In a house/townhouse/non-apartment
24%
Other (Feel free to mention in thread!)
10%

Total votes: 63

GreekOmega12

Bronze

UVA Law Class of 2019

Post by GreekOmega12 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Key Dates
Jan. 1, 2016 – Financial Aid Office begins accepting FAFSA and Need Access
Feb. 19, 2016 – Priority FAFSA filing deadline
March 1, 2016 – Financial Aid awarding via Student Info System (SIS) begins
March 7, 2016 – Application deadline to receive decision by April 15
March 17-18, 2016 – Admitted student open house
April 19, 2016– Initial deposit deadline (make deposit)
June 1, 2016 – Second deposit deadline (make deposit)
Mid-July 2016 – Fall semester bills distributed
Mid-August 2016 – Fall semester bill payment due
Aug. 22, 2016 – 1L orientation
Aug. 31, 2016 – New student health forms due

Reference Materials

UVA Law Students Taking Questions TLS Thread

Class of 2018 Profile
MEDIAN LSAT: 168
25%-75% LSAT: 163-170
MEDIAN GPA: 3.86
25%-75% GPA: 3.60-3.94
AGE RANGE: 20 to 35

306 students enrolled from among 4,568 applicants
54% men, 46% women
23% identify themselves as minority students (including non-citizens)
63% have post-college work experience

Financial Considerations

2015-2016 Tuition and Fees

Lawschool22's COA Calculator

Charlottesville Information

Charlottesville Facts
Historical Sites
UVA Law Resources
Outdoor Activities
Bodos
Wineries and Breweries
Last edited by GreekOmega12 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hamiltoniana

New

Re: UVA Law Class of 2019

Post by hamiltoniana » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Checking in! Thanks so much for setting this up, OP!

nicola16

Bronze

Post by nicola16 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Checking in! UVA is my top choice, just hoping they give me enough $$ to make it a feasible option for me. :D

HangingAround

Bronze

Post by HangingAround » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Maybe a more appropriate place for this than the admissions forum.. Help pretty please

"All students who wish to be considered for law school scholarships which have a need component or who are planning to apply for federal financial aid including Stafford and Grad PLUS Loans must complete both The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the on-line Need Access application"

This was a line in an email in the last few minutes from UVA. Is this wording completely accurate? For someone not applying for Need-based school aid at all, why would the Need Access application be necessary for Stafford and Grad PLUS loans? Wouldn't that only be for those trying to get subsidized Stafford loans, which are based on need?

"Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans are not need-based, and will be offered to any U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen who completes a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)" Also, "Eligibility for the PLUS is not based on demonstrated financial need is direct" are both statements from UVA Law's financial aid site.

Do they just really, really want people to do Need Access and be considered for all available $$ or is it actually the case where someone not pursuing need based has to complete Need Access?

Edit: Also thanks for setting this page up!

Edit 2: As an update, Financial Aid at UVA Law says that Need Access is not required if you are not trying for need-based aid from the school (so FAFSA only for unsubsidized loans federal loans, Grad PLUS, etc). Not sure why the initial email says what it says, but whatever.
Last edited by HangingAround on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Checking in! Thanks for making the thread!

Anyone else getting excited for ASW? Haven't settled on UVA for sure yet, but I think that going to a few ASW's will help me make my decision, and I get the feeling that UVA's ASW is going to be great.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:Checking in! Thanks for making the thread!

Anyone else getting excited for ASW? Haven't settled on UVA for sure yet, but I think that going to a few ASW's will help me make my decision, and I get the feeling that UVA's ASW is going to be great.
Waiting to see how $ shakes out first, though it doesn't help that so many other schools have ASW's on the same weekend.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:54 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:Checking in! Thanks for making the thread!

Waiting to see how $ shakes out first, though it doesn't help that so many other schools have ASW's on the same weekend.
I don't think I'm going to have any conflicts on that level; I haven't gotten in to these schools yet (applied fairly late, so fingers remain anxiously crossed), but the only other schools I will attend the ASW for are Harvard, Yale, Chicago, and Columbia. I think Harvard and Yale are fairly late, and I don't think Chicago or Columbia conflict, but I could be wrong.

Until I get some more acceptances, my hype will be focused on UVA!

But to start some discussion going, what are a some of the things that you all are really impressed by/excited about UVA? For me, on the cliché level, I really like UVA's intellectual culture and work/play balance. "Fit" would be the deciding factor that lands me in Charlottesville.

That being said, the 3L Supreme Court Litigation Clinic also seems awesome!

rska884

Silver

Post by rska884 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Anyone else looking to attend the ASW? What are y'all doing for hotels? I know nothing about the area.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:07 pm

rska884 wrote:Anyone else looking to attend the ASW? What are y'all doing for hotels? I know nothing about the area.
If you don't mind dropping a little bit of money, the UVA Inn at Darden is pretty nice, and literally across the street from the law school. That is probably where I will stay. I'm sure there are less expensive options a bit further from campus (especially in the Downtown area), but I've already had one good experience with Darden, and I am willing to spend a bit more for the convenience and to not have to worry about whether or not my hotel has an acceptable bed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stig2014

Bronze

Post by stig2014 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Checking in. Congrats to everyone else.

rska884

Silver

Post by rska884 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:40 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
rska884 wrote:Anyone else looking to attend the ASW? What are y'all doing for hotels? I know nothing about the area.
If you don't mind dropping a little bit of money, the UVA Inn at Darden is pretty nice, and literally across the street from the law school. That is probably where I will stay. I'm sure there are less expensive options a bit further from campus (especially in the Downtown area), but I've already had one good experience with Darden, and I am willing to spend a bit more for the convenience and to not have to worry about whether or not my hotel has an acceptable bed.
I'll look into that - honestly, the distance to the law school will probably be the deciding factor, since I won't be driving.

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 pm

rska884 wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:
I'll look into that - honestly, the distance to the law school will probably be the deciding factor, since I won't be driving.
UVA's website lists several hotels with shuttles to/from the airport and school!

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:06 am

Checking in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawandorder2019

Bronze

Post by lawandorder2019 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:59 am

Checking in! UVA is definitely my top choice!
Also I am a UVA undergrad so if you have questions about proximity or the area in general, feel free to hit me up.

coldmonkey13

Bronze

Post by coldmonkey13 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:07 am

~
Last edited by coldmonkey13 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coldmonkey13

Bronze

Post by coldmonkey13 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:59 am

~
Last edited by coldmonkey13 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs Featherbottom

New

Post by Mrs Featherbottom » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 am

Checking in! ED admit so I'll definitely be at UVA.

Looks like the Inn at Darden has already filled up for ASW btw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:20 am

Checking In. Hope to get some good $ - does anyone know how much UVA tends to negotiate against other schools' scholarships?

Also, stayed at the Inn at Darden when I visited in the fall. Quite nice and really, really close. Highly recommended.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Checking in. Love UVA!

Anyone planning to attend one of the local UVA Law Alumni receptions over the course of the spring that admitted students are invited to? Seems like a fun option if you're close enough to one of the cities and maybe the first and only chance to meet Dean Mahoney.

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Last edited by Specter1389 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

nicola16

Bronze

Post by nicola16 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:45 pm

If I've already visited UVA (during late August, got a tour from a very well-informed student and had an informational interview with a prof in the area of study I want to pursue), how important do you guys think the ASW is? I got a wonderful scholarship offer that pretty much clinched my decision, but family matters will make it challenging to attend. Would I be missing out on a lot of info if I don't go?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:41 pm

nicola16 wrote:If I've already visited UVA (during late August, got a tour from a very well-informed student and had an informational interview with a prof in the area of study I want to pursue), how important do you guys think the ASW is? I got a wonderful scholarship offer that pretty much clinched my decision, but family matters will make it challenging to attend. Would I be missing out on a lot of info if I don't go?
I suspect the general purpose of ASW is to get people to visit campus (which you've already done) and raise people's hype. The info there, I'd think, would be available from other sources (i.e. online, the materials we got in the mail, etc.), at least the essential stuff. Congrats on the scholly, by the way, when were you accepted?

nicola16

Bronze

Post by nicola16 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Tycho wrote:
nicola16 wrote:If I've already visited UVA (during late August, got a tour from a very well-informed student and had an informational interview with a prof in the area of study I want to pursue), how important do you guys think the ASW is? I got a wonderful scholarship offer that pretty much clinched my decision, but family matters will make it challenging to attend. Would I be missing out on a lot of info if I don't go?
I suspect the general purpose of ASW is to get people to visit campus (which you've already done) and raise people's hype. The info there, I'd think, would be available from other sources (i.e. online, the materials we got in the mail, etc.), at least the essential stuff. Congrats on the scholly, by the way, when were you accepted?
Thanks! I was accepted the first week of November. Scholarship UVA offered me was actually more than both BU and GW (and more than I anticipated based on my numbers), so I think they're being quite generous this cycle!

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:22 pm

nicola16 wrote:
Tycho wrote:
Thanks! I was accepted the first week of November. Scholarship UVA offered me was actually more than both BU and GW (and more than I anticipated based on my numbers), so I think they're being quite generous this cycle!
That's terrific! Hope you're right!

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Checking in!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”