UVA Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where are you living for 1L?

Pavilion
24%
Ivy Gardens
29%
Jeffersonian
6%
Arlington Park
3%
Stonefield Commons
No votes
City Walk
3%
Jefferson Ridge
2%
In a house/townhouse/non-apartment
24%
Other (Feel free to mention in thread!)
10%

Total votes: 63

urbanist11

Silver

Re: UVA Law Class of 2019

Post by urbanist11 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:18 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:Completely enamored with UVA and would love to attend, but can't do so without $. Not feeling great about not hearing anything, especially since I was accepted back in September.
I feel like our cycles are perfectly in sync

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:47 pm

urbanist11 wrote:
jewkidontheblock wrote:Completely enamored with UVA and would love to attend, but can't do so without $. Not feeling great about not hearing anything, especially since I was accepted back in September.
Count me in.

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:55 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:
Count me in.
Praying for good things for both of you, then.

skimmilk

Bronze

Post by skimmilk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:40 am

tflan19 wrote:That email actually just swayed me to come visit. All of my interactions with their office have been outstanding, and if their adcoms are any representation of the student body, then UVA would be a great place to spend the next three years.
By far the best adcoms I have dealt with thus far. I really hope they offer a scholarship to me soon. I have loved every experience and email I have had so far with UVA, but paying sticker to go anywhere is out of the question for me :cry:

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:23 am

skimmilk wrote:
tflan19 wrote:That email actually just swayed me to come visit. All of my interactions with their office have been outstanding, and if their adcoms are any representation of the student body, then UVA would be a great place to spend the next three years.
By far the best adcoms I have dealt with thus far. I really hope they offer a scholarship to me soon. I have loved every experience and email I have had so far with UVA, but paying sticker to go anywhere is out of the question for me :cry:
100% agreed...I'll take the debt if I have to, but I would really like to get at least something to cut the cost if I can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:46 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:
skimmilk wrote:
100% agreed...I'll take the debt if I have to, but I would really like to get at least something to cut the cost if I can.
Any idea how they announce the scholarships? Snail mail, email, phone call?

doobleykah

Bronze

Post by doobleykah » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:51 pm

RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
skimmilk wrote:
Many folks ITT have mentioned March as the time for scholarships. Having others post that they have already received is stressing me out though.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:57 pm

doobleykah wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
skimmilk wrote:
Many folks ITT have mentioned March as the time for scholarships. Having others post that they have already received is stressing me out though.
My understanding is it's snail mail. My concern is that somehow mine got lost/messed up because I changed my address. I've received a mailing at my new address but in my admitted student profile, my old one is listed. Of course, it's most likely I haven't gotten one but still.

doobleykah

Bronze

Post by doobleykah » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:01 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:
doobleykah wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
skimmilk wrote:
My understanding is it's snail mail. My concern is that somehow mine got lost/messed up because I changed my address. I've received a mailing at my new address but in my admitted student profile, my old one is listed. Of course, it's most likely I haven't gotten one but still.
To those who have received an offer. 1) Have you logged into your SIS? 2) Did the offer (or any information) appear there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hamiltoniana

New

Post by hamiltoniana » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:34 pm

It looks like financial aid is not available to people without previous scholarship offers in SIS as of yet, but they usually won't give you their numbers until you've given them your own (no full financial aid package without your NeedAccess/FAFSA).

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: financial aid. It seems last year financial aid posted information to SIS on March 3rd. The portal there displays scholarships & loans, so if your loan amount is for the full tuition price and you don't see any scholarships, you can commence with panicking.

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:16 pm

urbanist11 wrote:Re: financial aid. It seems last year financial aid posted information to SIS on March 3rd. The portal there displays scholarships & loans, so if your loan amount is for the full tuition price and you don't see any scholarships, you can commence with panicking.
Helpful but yikes.

Being-yonce

New

Post by Being-yonce » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Do y'all think it's too early to start negotiating scholarships?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:23 am

Being-yonce wrote:Do y'all think it's too early to start negotiating scholarships?
Absolutely not. Depending on what you have to share with them, I'd get in line now.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:27 am

Oh, and forgive my manners. I'm checking in. I will short of a catastrophe be showing my mug in C'ville in fall. Anyone thinking about where to live yet? Is UVA housing an option at all? I guess I could read up, but why do that when I have TLS?

lawandorder2019

Bronze

Post by lawandorder2019 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:32 am

fliptrip wrote:Oh, and forgive my manners. I'm checking in. I will short of a catastrophe be showing my mug in C'ville in fall. Anyone thinking about where to live yet? Is UVA housing an option at all? I guess I could read up, but why do that when I have TLS?
UVA housing is an option. They have housing right across the street called Copeley. Off grounds housing there are a lot of options, but the fill up pretty quickly. There's the Pavilion (hella pricey), Arlington Court Condos, The Jeffersonian, Graduate Cenre, and Ivy Apartments. Those are the main options I know about after a couple of months of research and living in Charlottesville since I'm here for undergrad.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:37 am

lawandorder2019 wrote:
fliptrip wrote:Oh, and forgive my manners. I'm checking in. I will short of a catastrophe be showing my mug in C'ville in fall. Anyone thinking about where to live yet? Is UVA housing an option at all? I guess I could read up, but why do that when I have TLS?
UVA housing is an option. They have housing right across the street called Copeley. Off grounds housing there are a lot of options, but the fill up pretty quickly. There's the Pavilion (hella pricey), Arlington Court Condos, The Jeffersonian, Graduate Cenre, and Ivy Apartments. Those are the main options I know about after a couple of months of research and living in Charlottesville since I'm here for undergrad.
I just put a deposit down on Arlington Court, place looks real nice and .3 miles from the law school. Plus it's right across from the pavillion so I can use their pool :D . Looking for a 1L roomate to split the bill until my wife joins me during 2L, if anyone's interested.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:51 am

Yeah I'm not sure when the appropriate time is to start negotiating, but I'm really, really hoping that I get some money. With a median LSAT and GPA>75%, I'm hopeful but nervous since I haven't heard anything

Being-yonce

New

Post by Being-yonce » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:39 am

herecomesthesun wrote:Yeah I'm not sure when the appropriate time is to start negotiating, but I'm really, really hoping that I get some money. With a median LSAT and GPA>75%, I'm hopeful but nervous since I haven't heard anything
It took me almost a month to hear about scholarships, if that helps. Also, your numbers sound better than mine and I got a decent offer so I wouldn't worry too much.

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:12 am

lawandorder2019 wrote:
Okay, so I got sucked in by the Pavilion's website (it just looks so gorgeous). Is there really a huge quality difference, though?

And the UVA housing is the single rooms without air conditioning, right?

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:13 am

Being-yonce wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:Yeah I'm not sure when the appropriate time is to start negotiating, but I'm really, really hoping that I get some money. With a median LSAT and GPA>75%, I'm hopeful but nervous since I haven't heard anything
It took me almost a month to hear about scholarships, if that helps. Also, your numbers sound better than mine and I got a decent offer so I wouldn't worry too much.
I got admitted in October though :? So that's my fear at this point. But I'm still hopeful!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:27 am

herecomesthesun wrote:
Being-yonce wrote:
I got admitted in October though :? So that's my fear at this point. But I'm still hopeful!
Right there with you, herecomesthesun! Although I apparently got a letter from UVA at home that's being forwarded to me....not getting my hopes up though, since it's probably just a generic mailing.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:29 am

RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
Being-yonce wrote:
Right there with you, herecomesthesun! Although I apparently got a letter from UVA at home that's being forwarded to me....not getting my hopes up though, since it's probably just a generic mailing.
Yeah my mom opened the last mailing I got from them for me...it was a big envelope and it was a CATALOG. nearly died. ETA: though your LSAT is likely a tad higher than mine, so in your case it could be a scholarship. Hopefully mine comes soon!

lawandorder2019

Bronze

Post by lawandorder2019 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:31 pm

RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
Okay, so I got sucked in by the Pavilion's website (it just looks so gorgeous). Is there really a huge quality difference, though?

The UVA housing their advertising (the range on the lawn) are single rooms without air conditioning. However, I used to live in Copeley which is on-grounds housing right across from the law school. If you're interested, I'm sure you could call UVA housing and ask about it.

I've heard the Pavilion is nice, but very overpriced. However a lot of people choose it because of the ease of obtaining a rental there. The other places you have to apply super early (some applications opened December 1) to have a chance at a place. There are also places that start to be listed on craigslist and such later in the year. I won't lie, finding housing in Charlottesville is kind of a headache.

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:40 pm

lawandorder2019 wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:

The UVA housing their advertising (the range on the lawn) are single rooms without air conditioning. However, I used to live in Copeley which is on-grounds housing right across from the law school. If you're interested, I'm sure you could call UVA housing and ask about it.

I've heard the Pavilion is nice, but very overpriced. However a lot of people choose it because of the ease of obtaining a rental there. The other places you have to apply super early (some applications opened December 1) to have a chance at a place. There are also places that start to be listed on craigslist and such later in the year. I won't lie, finding housing in Charlottesville is kind of a headache.
Thanks for your feedback. Might go with the Pavilion if I go to UVA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”