Yale Law School Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Have you decided where you'll be living next year? If so, where?

University Housing
12%
The Towers
12%
Elsewhere Downtown
59%
East Rock
18%
Wooster Square
No votes
Westville
No votes
Hamden
No votes
The Hill
No votes
Other (please share)
No votes

Total votes: 17

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2019

Post by SamuelDanforth » Tue May 31, 2016 11:40 am

birdstheword wrote:
SamuelDanforth wrote:So are people just ignoring the ID Center deadline until we have our NetIDs?
I responded explaining why I couldn't do it. But ya ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
E-mail from admissions says not to worry, NetIDs coming this week, and obviously no concern about getting the ID pictures in by today.

I think for some of us (at least me), moving from the extremely deadline conscious world of law school admissions to the "deadlines aren't real" world of YLS will take some getting used to!

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Tue May 31, 2016 2:27 pm

birdstheword wrote:
birdstheword wrote:
SamuelDanforth wrote:So are people just ignoring the ID Center deadline until we have our NetIDs?
We also haven't been given our Student IDs (different from NetIDs) to fill out that field in the financial aid notification & confirmation form.
The Student ID Number (different from the NetID) that you need for the confirmation form is on your financial aid award letter.

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Tue May 31, 2016 11:32 pm

WinterComing wrote:
birdstheword wrote:
birdstheword wrote:
We also haven't been given our Student IDs (different from NetIDs) to fill out that field in the financial aid notification & confirmation form.
The Student ID Number (different from the NetID) that you need for the confirmation form is on your financial aid award letter.
Ah got it! Thanks! Def not the number I was paying attention to

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:14 am

Has anyone else tried to upload a photo now that we've got our net IDs and had it still not work? Are we even supposed to be doing this?

dizzying

New

Post by dizzying » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:44 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:Has anyone else tried to upload a photo now that we've got our net IDs and had it still not work? Are we even supposed to be doing this?
i uploaded mine yesterday and it seemed to work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:27 pm

anyone else's email not working? says my user ID straight up doesn't exist, but I'm findable in the phonebook.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:37 pm

birdstheword wrote:anyone else's email not working? says my user ID straight up doesn't exist, but I'm findable in the phonebook.
Mine isn't working either.

ETA: I emailed IT about it and they basically just said, "hang tight."

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:49 pm

WinterComing wrote:
birdstheword wrote:anyone else's email not working? says my user ID straight up doesn't exist, but I'm findable in the phonebook.

yeah. "the number of students trying to log in is causing the system some difficulty." bodes well for class registration.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:08 pm

birdstheword wrote:
WinterComing wrote:

yeah. "the number of students trying to log in is causing the system some difficulty." bodes well for class registration.
I know, right? I've been having nothing but trouble with everything technology related. My netid was wrong, and IT basically told me they had no idea. Then when I finally got that fixed, my financial aid letter kept crashing before it loaded. Then my other id thing they sent us was wrong (finally got that straightened out), and now the email was messed up. It just seems like YLS is very technologically illiterate. Oh, I was also talking with someone, and we pointed out the fact that they talked about how we're the first class to get Outlook 365 like it was just the most cutting edge thing in the world and we were privileged just to behold its magnificence.

BTW, sorry everybody for not changing the poll sooner. Most of you who know me IRL (and if you don't yet, shoot me a PM) know I've been dealing with some issues. It's changed now. I'm also up for new ideas to anyone who has them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:11 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
birdstheword wrote:
WinterComing wrote:

I know, right? I've been having nothing but trouble with everything technology related. My netid was wrong, and IT basically told me they had no idea. Then when I finally got that fixed, my financial aid letter kept crashing before it loaded. Then my other id thing they sent us was wrong (finally got that straightened out), and now the email was messed up. It just seems like YLS is very technologically illiterate. Oh, I was also talking with someone, and we pointed out the fact that they talked about how we're the first class to get Outlook 365 like it was just the most cutting edge thing in the world and we were privileged just to behold its magnificence.

BTW, sorry everybody for not changing the poll sooner. Most of you who know me IRL (and if you don't yet, shoot me a PM) know I've been dealing with some issues. It's changed now. I'm also up for new ideas to anyone who has them.
Literally all of these things have happened to me

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:38 pm

birdstheword wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
birdstheword wrote:
WinterComing wrote:

Haaa also couldn't fill out the health insurance waiver...just got this email
YLS LOL wrote:Due to technical issues going on with our website, students have been unable to waive the health insurance.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:49 pm

birdstheword wrote:
birdstheword wrote:
Haaa also couldn't fill out the health insurance waiver...just got this email
YLS LOL wrote:Due to technical issues going on with our website, students have been unable to waive the health insurance.
Hahaha, that is actually really hilarious. I also couldn't fill out the waiver. Looks like we are destined to be great friends.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Guys and gals, this thread is officially dead. I know we have at least a few posters on here, because I've spoken with most of you. Go look at the Yale class of 2012 page, it was like four times as long at this point. We need to liven up the page because the other schools' pages are putting us to shame. Let's do some pop culture.

1.) Who's playing Pokemon Go? It is likely I will walk into traffic and die long before I arrive in New Haven next month. It's pretty amazing.

2.) Winter's avatar gave me this idea, what did everyone think of season 6 of Game of Thrones?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:52 pm

I finally got into my e-mail! The fact that this feels like an accomplishment is a bad sign.

Is it fair to assume that we won't know our classes until at least the 22nd of August?

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:50 pm

SamuelDanforth wrote:I finally got into my e-mail! The fact that this feels like an accomplishment is a bad sign.

Is it fair to assume that we won't know our classes until at least the 22nd of August?
Haha, congrats on the email. It took a while for me too.

That's my understanding. They don't tell us our classes or small groups until a few days into orientation. They say it's because they want us to mingle with people outside of our small groups, but I suspect there might be an ulterior motive of waiting so long to give us our classes that we can no longer order online (since I'm sure we'll have assignments due the first day of class) and the bookstore can sell us those books. It's very frustrating, since online is generally much cheaper and we're paying so much to begin with.

Paulaaxox

New

Post by Paulaaxox » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:48 am

Is anyone else having problems completing their Master Promissory Notes for their federal loans?

I keep receiving an error that the school I've selected requires an award prior to to submitting a MPN. I've emailed the financial aid office, but I just wanted to see if its happening to anyone else.

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Paulaaxox wrote:Is anyone else having problems completing their Master Promissory Notes for their federal loans?

I keep receiving an error that the school I've selected requires an award prior to to submitting a MPN. I've emailed the financial aid office, but I just wanted to see if its happening to anyone else.
Is it bad that I don't know what this is? Is this part of the "Title IV" e-mail that I've been ignoring?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Paulaaxox wrote:Is anyone else having problems completing their Master Promissory Notes for their federal loans?

That happened to me at the end of July. I called and the FinAid office just said that they don't submit the necessary paperwork until early August. At the very end of July I got an automated email from studentloans.gov that said I had notifications waiting and it was about the loans being approved. After that, I was able to complete the MPNs.

I don't know what Yale's process is for rolling out the loan requests or whatever, but it probably doesn't hurt to check with the FinAid office of you're concerned about it.

Paulaaxox

New

Post by Paulaaxox » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:02 pm

GrayGamut wrote:

That happened to me at the end of July. I called and the FinAid office just said that they don't submit the necessary paperwork until early August. At the very end of July I got an automated email from studentloans.gov that said I had notifications waiting and it was about the loans being approved. After that, I was able to complete the MPNs.

I don't know what Yale's process is for rolling out the loan requests or whatever, but it probably doesn't hurt to check with the FinAid office of you're concerned about it.
Thank you! I asked last week and they just said to try again this week without any further explanation. You've calmed my nerves!

And to the comment above that one, MPN are part of getting your loans. If you aren't taking out loans then it doesn't matter, but if you are it does. Additionally, the Title IV doesn't take long to fill out but I'm not sure if it's just for loans or financial aid as well.

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Paulaaxox wrote:
GrayGamut wrote:

Thank you! I asked last week and they just said to try again this week without any further explanation. You've calmed my nerves!

And to the comment above that one, MPN are part of getting your loans. If you aren't taking out loans then it doesn't matter, but if you are it does. Additionally, the Title IV doesn't take long to fill out but I'm not sure if it's just for loans or financial aid as well.
Definitely taking out loans. Thanks for reminding me to do this.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:16 am

Hey guys,

So, WinterComing and I were discussing this tonight and thought it might be a good idea. Most of us do not know many of our classmates and TLS provides a common connection for all of us, especially since a lot of us are fans of others' posting styles. So, we're making a secret facebook group for any TLS poster in the YLS class of 2019 (or any other Yale class of course) who might be interested in making friends. We could arrange some meet-ups for everyone to get to know one another, and maybe if everyone's interested, in the future arrange some kind of thing with nearby schools' TLS students. If you're interested, just shoot me a private message letting me know and reminding me who you are (I know I've already connected with many of you on facebook, but I'm not good at matching usernames to real names), and I'll send you an invitation to join the group.

Hope everyone's doing well and enjoying their last few days of summer.

PS: I'm also still up for new poll ideas if anyone has them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superpatton

New

Post by superpatton » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:48 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
SamuelDanforth wrote:I finally got into my e-mail! The fact that this feels like an accomplishment is a bad sign.

Haha, congrats on the email. It took a while for me too.

That's my understanding. They don't tell us our classes or small groups until a few days into orientation. They say it's because they want us to mingle with people outside of our small groups, but I suspect there might be an ulterior motive of waiting so long to give us our classes that we can no longer order online (since I'm sure we'll have assignments due the first day of class) and the bookstore can sell us those books. It's very frustrating, since online is generally much cheaper and we're paying so much to begin with.
I don't mean to bump this post from a month ago, but I just wanted to let you all know that the timing of small group selection definitely does not preclude you from ordering your books online. I got all of my first semester books off Amazon (except for maybe 1 supplement from the bookstore) and I know several of my classmates did as well.There are also several ways to purchase books for cheap from other students at the law school. The public interest book sale is particularly nice if you are looking for cheap textbooks.
Also, don't freak out too much if you don't have books the first week. The library's scan service is great for your first couple of assignments, and some professors will provide scanned copies to the class for the first week. Law school is definitely expensive, but this is one area where you can save some money. I hope you're all enjoying your last little bit of summer!

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks superpatton, that's helpful to know.

Looking at the "Rita's Case" assignments, it looks like they ended up with a large class (211), unless that includes transfers.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:03 pm

SamuelDanforth wrote:Thanks superpatton, that's helpful to know.

Looking at the "Rita's Case" assignments, it looks like they ended up with a large class (211), unless that includes transfers.
Nope, from my understanding, that's apparently all 1Ls. The transfers are on the facebook page (think there's 7 of them), but aren't included in that.

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:20 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
SamuelDanforth wrote:Thanks superpatton, that's helpful to know.

Nope, from my understanding, that's apparently all 1Ls. The transfers are on the facebook page (think there's 7 of them), but aren't included in that.
Interesting. Given that a few weeks ago they added 6-7 people to the facebook, it appears that they consciously pushed above 200, rather than just misjudged yield. In recent years I thought they had stuck pretty closely to 200, but perhaps they've relaxed that cap.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”