Yale Law School Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Have you decided where you'll be living next year? If so, where?

University Housing
12%
The Towers
12%
Elsewhere Downtown
59%
East Rock
18%
Wooster Square
No votes
Westville
No votes
Hamden
No votes
The Hill
No votes
Other (please share)
No votes

Total votes: 17

jetsfan1

Silver

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2019

Post by jetsfan1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:05 pm

GrayGamut wrote:
Phyr wrote:Just got a snuggie in the mail. It's so huge!
YASSS. Room for two? That's some Netflix swag.
Just be careful...

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

jetsfan1 wrote: Just be careful...
Haha okay I see you Jets. It'll probably just be my and my cat tho, and we're def on that level.

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:55 pm

WOW I never thought I would say this but checking in!!! :mrgreen:

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:24 pm

lemondrop wrote:WOW I never thought I would say this but checking in!!! :mrgreen:
Welcome and congratulations! A bit surreal, huh?

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:33 pm

GrayGamut wrote:
lemondrop wrote:WOW I never thought I would say this but checking in!!! :mrgreen:
Welcome and congratulations! A bit surreal, huh?
Thank you so much, and congrats to you as well! Quite an honor to be in the company of awesome people such as yourself :) It sure does, I keep feeling like I'll wake up from the best dream ever at any moment! I gave Craig quite a chuckle on the phone with my reaction haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:30 pm

Congrats. I'm very happy for all of you.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:38 pm

Curious about what y'all are thinking about choosing between Y and other options. Could we maybe get a poll up at some point, one of those 100% attending, 90% sure, 50/50, etc. type things?

This decision ain't easy, and it's been helpful for me PMing others about it to hear their thoughts/force me to write my own out...

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:10 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:Curious about what y'all are thinking about choosing between Y and other options. Could we maybe get a poll up at some point, one of those 100% attending, 90% sure, 50/50, etc. type things?

This decision ain't easy, and it's been helpful for me PMing others about it to hear their thoughts/force me to write my own out...
I actually had that up the first month, but only one or two people were in this thread then. I'll definitely put it up again right now. Also, I'd be happy to discuss it with you if you want to PM me.

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:13 pm

I have a question about undergraduate degrees and deferrals (namely, whether the school might let me graduate after next semester instead of in May if they've already granted me a deferral.) Is there a good forum to pose this question where I might get helpful answers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:16 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
Schneidersbetter wrote:I have a question about undergraduate degrees and deferrals (namely, whether the school might let me graduate after next semester instead of in May if they've already granted me a deferral.) Is there a good forum to pose this question where I might get helpful answers?
Not really, I guess the most relevant forum would be the law school application forum, but the problem with that is that there are very few YLS students/admits on TLS (only current students I know of are MistakenGenius, Cicero, and psychmusic). Every school has very different deferral policies. Harvard and Columbia are generally the most liberal with deferrals (being they're so large and have huge acceptance lists and waitlists). NYU and Stanford tend to be more stingy). Yale seems to grant a decent number of deferrals, but that could just be because so many are doing things like Rhodes.

As far as that. I've never seen a YLS student defer because of that reason and I assume it's pretty rare. However, I personally think you could make it worth YLS' while. Firms/PI/Government all generally prefer their applicants to have some work experience. If you could demonstrate to the admissions officers that you're going to take some classes that could be conducive to you in legal practice next semester, and that you will pursue some form of experience in the Spring, I could see them granting the deferral. Of course, this is all just based in my personal experience and people I know. The best way to find out the details to this would be to call the admissions office, since they're the ones actually granting deferrals.
Thanks, that was very helpful. Do you think it would make a difference if i was granted a deferral (for a different reason) and THEN asked to be allowed to prolong my undergraduate career?

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:26 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:16 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
Schneidersbetter wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Schneidersbetter wrote:I have a question about undergraduate degrees and deferrals (namely, whether the school might let me graduate after next semester instead of in May if they've already granted me a deferral.) Is there a good forum to pose this question where I might get helpful answers?
Not really, I guess the most relevant forum would be the law school application forum, but the problem with that is that there are very few YLS students/admits on TLS (only current students I know of are MistakenGenius, Cicero, and psychmusic). Every school has very different deferral policies. Harvard and Columbia are generally the most liberal with deferrals (being they're so large and have huge acceptance lists and waitlists). NYU and Stanford tend to be more stingy). Yale seems to grant a decent number of deferrals, but that could just be because so many are doing things like Rhodes.

As far as that. I've never seen a YLS student defer because of that reason and I assume it's pretty rare. However, I personally think you could make it worth YLS' while. Firms/PI/Government all generally prefer their applicants to have some work experience. If you could demonstrate to the admissions officers that you're going to take some classes that could be conducive to you in legal practice next semester, and that you will pursue some form of experience in the Spring, I could see them granting the deferral. Of course, this is all just based in my personal experience and people I know. The best way to find out the details to this would be to call the admissions office, since they're the ones actually granting deferrals.
Thanks, that was very helpful. Do you think it would make a difference if i was granted a deferral (for a different reason) and THEN asked to be allowed to prolong my undergraduate career?
No problem. And as for that, I really don't know what your undergrad is like. I suppose it would be better to go for the deferral first. It would really suck if your undergrad extended you for one more semester and then Yale refused the deferral. At least if you got the deferral, even if your undergrad denied you, you could just work or something for a year to make yourself more competitive. But again, your school and YLS' admissions office know better than I do.
Ok, a bunch to think about, thanks for taking the time to respond!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Just got my binder, not gonna lie it's v impressive (despite being a fancy printed version of their admitted students website :lol: )

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Anyone receive an initial aid offer yet? I submitted the forms a couple weeks ago and I'm nervously waiting to see how many zeros are on this price tag.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:51 am

GrayGamut wrote:Anyone receive an initial aid offer yet? I submitted the forms a couple weeks ago and I'm nervously waiting to see how many zeros are on this price tag.
Same, but nah radio silence up until now...

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Does anyone know what YLS's policy on last semester grades is? It looks like I'll probably end up with my worst semester grades by far, and I was wondering if I need to call them and explain what's going on

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tflan19

Bronze

Post by tflan19 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:23 pm

Apparently I'm smart enough to get into YLS but not smart enough to find my finaid award letter on SIS. Did anyone get the email saying it was posted but then have a error message that "no award letters available"?

Edit: Apparently I can't find it because I received a big fat zero dollars of aid. So excited to tell my parents about their $76,276/year family contribution.

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:27 pm

tflan19 wrote:Apparently I'm smart enough to get into YLS but not smart enough to find my finaid award letter on SIS. Did anyone get the email saying it was posted but then have a error message that "no award letters available"?
Yeah, same here. Bummer, I was kinda hoping it was my own lack of intelligence, because then one of you kind and brilliant folks could direct me and I could FINALLY KNOW.

tflan19

Bronze

Post by tflan19 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:27 pm

GrayGamut wrote:
tflan19 wrote:Apparently I'm smart enough to get into YLS but not smart enough to find my finaid award letter on SIS. Did anyone get the email saying it was posted but then have a error message that "no award letters available"?
Yeah, same here. Bummer, I was kinda hoping it was my own lack of intelligence, because then one of you kind and brilliant folks could direct me and I could FINALLY KNOW.
go to federal shopping list and then "view online". I was able to find my info unofficially there.

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:30 pm

tflan19 wrote:go to federal shopping list and then "view online". I was able to find my info unofficially there.
You're wonderful, thank you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sophiethecat

New

Post by sophiethecat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:22 pm

I'm having trouble creating my login information. When I try to pick a password, it says system error. When I called the financial aid office, they said others are having the same problem and they are trying to figure out what's going on. Just figured I would let others who might be having similar issues know!

sophiethecat

New

Post by sophiethecat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Was able to finally log in. Looks like I won't be joining you all at YLS next year. But since I lived in New Haven for five years, I'm still happy to answer any NH related questions you may have!

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Wow they really don't make it easy to access the financial aid, do they? I keep getting a system error

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Finally was able to log in. Got more than I was expecting (which was 0), so I'm pleasantly surprised. I noticed in the letter that it's only for the 2016-17 year, does this mean they re calculate it before each year? Or can we expect it to be a similar award 2L and 3L?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”