Yale Law School Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Have you decided where you'll be living next year? If so, where?

University Housing
12%
The Towers
12%
Elsewhere Downtown
59%
East Rock
18%
Wooster Square
No votes
Westville
No votes
Hamden
No votes
The Hill
No votes
Other (please share)
No votes

Total votes: 17

jetsfan1

Silver

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2019

Post by jetsfan1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:01 pm

lemondrop wrote:Finally was able to log in. Got more than I was expecting (which was 0), so I'm pleasantly surprised. I noticed in the letter that it's only for the 2016-17 year, does this mean they re calculate it before each year? Or can we expect it to be a similar award 2L and 3L?
Also VERY pleasantly with my package. A lot more than I was expecting. And yeah I'm pretty sure it is recalculated every year (it would make sense - if you win the lottery during 1L they're not gonna be awarding you the same amount of aid the next year). But absent a major change in your/your parent's finances I think it's safe to assume it will be roughly the same. The big thing here is 2L SAs, which can mess up your aid because now your expected to contribute a lot more.

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Regarding the finaid award... when I filled out FAFSA and NeedAccess, I put 12k each year as my parents' max contribution, with myself paying the rest, but the parental contribution listed on the Yale finaid form was much larger... do they just assume parents will cover everything not included in the award or should I contact the finaid office to fix the discrepancy?

tflan19

Bronze

Post by tflan19 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:21 pm

lemondrop wrote:Regarding the finaid award... when I filled out FAFSA and NeedAccess, I put 12k each year as my parents' max contribution, with myself paying the rest, but the parental contribution listed on the Yale finaid form was much larger... do they just assume parents will cover everything not included in the award or should I contact the finaid office to fix the discrepancy?
They're doing it based on how much they think your parents should be contributing... I put $0k and they said my parents should contribute $43k.

clovis

Bronze

Post by clovis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:12 pm

Hello you awesome beings, I am not one of you--yet. But I'm wondering if any of you could do me a favor and look at the schedule for ASW. Is there anything really scheduled for the 16th or is that just a departure day? And how late do activities go on the 15th? I'm trying to figure out if I could do the HLS and YLS events back to back. Apologies if this has already been discussed.

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:24 pm

clovis wrote:Hello you awesome beings, I am not one of you--yet. But I'm wondering if any of you could do me a favor and look at the schedule for ASW. Is there anything really scheduled for the 16th or is that just a departure day? And how late do activities go on the 15th? I'm trying to figure out if I could do the HLS and YLS events back to back. Apologies if this has already been discussed.
Hey! You're correct that there's not much on the 16th, just a diversity brunch. On the 15th there's a closing dinner at 7:30 and then a party til 1am. Good luck, hope you'll be joining us soon! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clovis

Bronze

Post by clovis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:02 pm

lemondrop wrote:
clovis wrote:Hello you awesome beings, I am not one of you--yet. But I'm wondering if any of you could do me a favor and look at the schedule for ASW. Is there anything really scheduled for the 16th or is that just a departure day? And how late do activities go on the 15th? I'm trying to figure out if I could do the HLS and YLS events back to back. Apologies if this has already been discussed.
Hey! You're correct that there's not much on the 16th, just a diversity brunch. On the 15th there's a closing dinner at 7:30 and then a party til 1am. Good luck, hope you'll be joining us soon! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the info!

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:37 pm

sophiethecat wrote:Was able to finally log in. Looks like I won't be joining you all at YLS next year. But since I lived in New Haven for five years, I'm still happy to answer any NH related questions you may have!
lemondrop wrote:Finally was able to log in. Got more than I was expecting (which was 0), so I'm pleasantly surprised. I noticed in the letter that it's only for the 2016-17 year, does this mean they re calculate it before each year? Or can we expect it to be a similar award 2L and 3L?
Stupid question -- I was admitted last weekend and have received plenty of emails but none with anything resembling login information...WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?

tflan19

Bronze

Post by tflan19 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:08 am

birdstheword wrote:
sophiethecat wrote:Was able to finally log in. Looks like I won't be joining you all at YLS next year. But since I lived in New Haven for five years, I'm still happy to answer any NH related questions you may have!
Stupid question -- I was admitted last weekend and have received plenty of emails but none with anything resembling login information...WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?
This is about financial aid information - you get a log on for the financial aid website once your fafsa/need access are processed

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:52 am

tflan19 wrote:
birdstheword wrote:
This is about financial aid information - you get a log on for the financial aid website once your fafsa/need access are processed
Yeah, I submitted those back in February -- they may just not process them until someone's actually admitted. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Paulaaxox

New

Post by Paulaaxox » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Just to make sure, the financial aid office only wants us to fill out the FAFSA and the Need Based Application right? Or is there another form that we also need to submit that I completely overlooked?

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:51 pm

Paulaaxox wrote:Just to make sure, the financial aid office only wants us to fill out the FAFSA and the Need Based Application right? Or is there another form that we also need to submit that I completely overlooked?
Yup, that's all I filled out and I got my award about 2 weeks later.

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:24 pm

Hey, is there a standard procedure for withdrawing from schools that accepted you? Like phone the office or send an email or just ignore them?

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:31 pm

Schneidersbetter wrote:Hey, is there a standard procedure for withdrawing from schools that accepted you? Like phone the office or send an email or just ignore them?
In my experience, each school is different. As a default, if you don't want to have to dig for each school, it seems appropriate to send a simple email to the generic admissions address. They might follow up with a question about where you plan to attend, but that should pretty much wrap it up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks!

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:28 pm

GrayGamut wrote:
Schneidersbetter wrote:Hey, is there a standard procedure for withdrawing from schools that accepted you? Like phone the office or send an email or just ignore them?
In my experience, each school is different. As a default, if you don't want to have to dig for each school, it seems appropriate to send a simple email to the generic admissions address. They might follow up with a question about where you plan to attend, but that should pretty much wrap it up.
This could make a good sticky / compendium, actually. Although it's rooted in the I suppose dubious assumption that we future lawyers have the conscience and goodwill to want to follow proper withdrawal procedures from schools we don't care about

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:56 pm

Checking in!!!

GrayGamut

New

Post by GrayGamut » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:03 pm

WinterComing wrote:Checking in!!!
Hell yeah!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:38 pm

So who's going to ASW?!

curious bobcat

Bronze

Post by curious bobcat » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:47 pm

Schneidersbetter wrote:So who's going to ASW?!
I am. Yale and Harvard ASWs back-to-back that week. Pretty excited!

birdstheword

New

Post by birdstheword » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:20 pm

mememe!

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:03 pm

curious bobcat wrote:
Yes yes yes! :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:39 pm

lemondrop wrote:
curious bobcat wrote:
Yes yes yes! :mrgreen:
I can't take that much time off of school, but I checked out Harvard for a weekend a while ago. Y'all will have to report back how it is

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Schneidersbetter wrote:
I can't take that much time off of school, but I checked out Harvard for a weekend a while ago. Y'all will have to report back how it is
Ah sorry for the confusion! I just meant yes to coming to Y's ASW, I was actually at H's ASW this past weekend so I won't be there for the second. But feel fee to PM me, I'm happy to fill you in about it!

dizzying

New

Post by dizzying » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:22 pm

me! i was recently admitted and just RSVP'd. did anyone else opt to stay with a student host? have you heard back about it?

Schneidersbetter

Bronze

Post by Schneidersbetter » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:29 pm

dizzying wrote:
me! i was recently admitted and just RSVP'd. did anyone else opt to stay with a student host? have you heard back about it?
I signed up for it at the beginning but subsequently canceled it, so never heard back from them

eta which is clearly not a helpful answer to your question

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”