Michigan Law School C/O 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
GoBlue17

New

Re: Michigan Law School C/O 2019

Post by GoBlue17 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi! Longtime lurker and first post. I am currently a senior at U of M and an admit.

petosjoh

New

Post by petosjoh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:08 pm

GoBlue17 wrote:Hi! Longtime lurker and first post. I am currently a senior at U of M and an admit.
Hey! Same! Are you accepting your admission?

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Anyone going to the 3/31 ASW?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:31 pm

So is only FAFSA required for Michigan? No Need Access?

GoBlue17

New

Post by GoBlue17 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:41 pm

petosjoh wrote:
GoBlue17 wrote:Hi! Longtime lurker and first post. I am currently a senior at U of M and an admit.
Hey! Same! Are you accepting your admission?
Yes I am!! Very excited to stay in Ann Arbor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Meno

New

Post by Meno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Hey all, checking in. Has anyone else talked to students through the phonathon? It was incredibly informative. Gave me a lot to think about and made Michigan even more appealing than it already was!

Toodle-loo

Bronze

Post by Toodle-loo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Meno wrote:Hey all, checking in. Has anyone else talked to students through the phonathon? It was incredibly informative. Gave me a lot to think about and made Michigan even more appealing than it already was!
Do you mind telling us what you discussed? I had mine and it was certainly friendly, but I didn't learn anything particularly "new", so I'm just curious :)

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Meno wrote:Hey all, checking in. Has anyone else talked to students through the phonathon? It was incredibly informative. Gave me a lot to think about and made Michigan even more appealing than it already was!
yes! It was legit. Very friendly, intelligent, and honest students. It certainly didn't hurt the cause

Meno

New

Post by Meno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:32 pm

Toodle-loo wrote:
Do you mind telling us what you discussed? I had mine and it was certainly friendly, but I didn't learn anything particularly "new", so I'm just curious :)
Sure thing! We mostly talked about summer start (some profs for summer starters give practice exams and individualized feedback mid-summer so you're better prepared for the real thing) and public interest (opportunities, funding, specific markets outside of NY/CA/DC/etc.). It helped a lot that we were matched up based on interest and location, we talked through a lot of specifics that I might not have learned had there not much as much in common.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:37 pm

I appreciated the personal touch, but I will add that I don't find speaking to a 1L particularly helpful for a lot of questions... They're barely removed from being in our place.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:58 pm

urbanist11 wrote:I appreciated the personal touch, but I will add that I don't find speaking to a 1L particularly helpful for a lot of questions... They're barely removed from being in our place.
Agreed about 1Ls; I spoke with a 3L, though.

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:I appreciated the personal touch, but I will add that I don't find speaking to a 1L particularly helpful for a lot of questions... They're barely removed from being in our place.
Agreed about 1Ls; I spoke with a 3L, though.

I spoke with a 3L as well.

Toodle-loo

Bronze

Post by Toodle-loo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:05 pm

+1 - I would really rather talk to an alum 3-5 years out with my career interests.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Meno

New

Post by Meno » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:11 pm

Toodle-loo wrote:
+1 - I would really rather talk to an alum 3-5 years out with my career interests.
Didn't they send out an email offering to connect us with someone? I vaguely remember receiving it but haven't emailed them back about it yet.

Toodle-loo

Bronze

Post by Toodle-loo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Meno wrote:
Didn't they send out an email offering to connect us with someone? I vaguely remember receiving it but haven't emailed them back about it yet.
Oh certainly! I didn't mean to imply that that resource wasn't available, just that the conversations with 1Ls that have also been offered have been less helpful than I imagine an alum might be.

Apologies, it was more of a general comment than a complaint/criticism.

Meno

New

Post by Meno » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Toodle-loo wrote:
Meno wrote:
Oh certainly! I didn't mean to imply that that resource wasn't available, just that the conversations with 1Ls that have also been offered have been less helpful than I imagine an alum might be.

Apologies, it was more of a general comment than a complaint/criticism.
I completely agree. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things! :D

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:42 pm

This may have been discussed but I haven't seen it. I got a merit aid award that was relatively sizable and the email said I wasn't eligible for need aid. I submitted FAFSA this morning for loans, but I was wondering if I should go ahead and submit NeedAccess as well

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jumbo2016

Silver

Post by jumbo2016 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:03 pm

Not sure if this matters/would be helpful to anyone else but just in case: I have a friend who currently goes to Michigan undergrad and he said it's pretty difficult to get a summer subletter because so many people do their summers elsewhere. He said you might get 1/2 of your rent paid if you're lucky but it's likely you'll get more like 1/3. Definitely a strong case for on campus housing like the lawyer's club

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:11 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:This may have been discussed but I haven't seen it. I got a merit aid award that was relatively sizable and the email said I wasn't eligible for need aid. I submitted FAFSA this morning for loans, but I was wondering if I should go ahead and submit NeedAccess as well
I submitted NeedAccess just in case. It gives a better picture of finances than the FAFSA but they'll probably disregard it.

Meno

New

Post by Meno » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Just negotiated. PM for details.

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:07 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:Not sure if this matters/would be helpful to anyone else but just in case: I have a friend who currently goes to Michigan undergrad and he said it's pretty difficult to get a summer subletter because so many people do their summers elsewhere. He said you might get 1/2 of your rent paid if you're lucky but it's likely you'll get more like 1/3. Definitely a strong case for on campus housing like the lawyer's club
Good point. Is all of the campus housing rented for the academic year only, or is that just the lawyer's club?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:29 am

180kickflip wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:Not sure if this matters/would be helpful to anyone else but just in case: I have a friend who currently goes to Michigan undergrad and he said it's pretty difficult to get a summer subletter because so many people do their summers elsewhere. He said you might get 1/2 of your rent paid if you're lucky but it's likely you'll get more like 1/3. Definitely a strong case for on campus housing like the lawyer's club
Good point. Is all of the campus housing rented for the academic year only, or is that just the lawyer's club?
The Munger Residences are for 12 months, but they might be able to accommodate shorter periods due to summer internships. Might make sense to check with them.

A decent number of people end up staying in the area for their 1L summer jobs, so a one-year lease isn't necessarily problematic. Of course, in most cases, you don't know where you'll end up for 1L summer until much later. :P Also, if you're a summer starter, your first year will be three semesters and almost a full calendar year in length anyway.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:55 pm

So where did we end up on Need Access? Not needed?

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:28 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:So where did we end up on Need Access? Not needed?
Probably not *needed* if you got merit aid high enough, but I filed mine anyway. It shows my family's weird finances so I wanted them to have it. Whether they take it into consideration or not, I have no clue

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 pm

Checking in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”