Michigan Law School C/O 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)
Toodle-loo

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law School C/O 2019

Post by Toodle-loo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Last edited by Toodle-loo on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acceptme2019

New

Post by acceptme2019 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:05 pm

petosjoh wrote:
GoBlue17 wrote:Hi! Longtime lurker and first post. I am currently a senior at U of M and an admit.
Hey! Same! Are you accepting your admission?
Me too! Current senior also accepted mine!

jumbo2016

Silver

Post by jumbo2016 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Uh oh! U-Mich is trending on Facebook for a norovirus outbreak

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:34 am

Did anyone else get the magazine which dedicated several pages in the middle to asking for money?

I felt like I was looking into my future :shock:

Also, really?
I got one from GW at the same time and a big pamphlet asking me to be a victor didn't fall out.... :P

jumbo2016

Silver

Post by jumbo2016 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 am

TheKisSquared wrote:Did anyone else get the magazine which dedicated several pages in the middle to asking for money?

Also, really?
I got one from GW at the same time and a big pamphlet asking me to be a victor didn't fall out.... :P
Yes. Got that and I was like no michigan can you please give me some money???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:44 am

TheKisSquared wrote:Did anyone else get the magazine which dedicated several pages in the middle to asking for money?

Also, really?
A pamphlet didn't fall out of mine, but there was an envelope and a section on fundraising. I think they just sent us the magazine they send to all students and alumni without cutting that portion out and, since they seem to be in the middle of a fundraising campaign, it happened to be prominently included. I can see how it might feel weird for a prospective student to get it and feel like they're being asked to donate, but I honestly didn't think anything of it. Then again, I work at a university in the middle of its own campaign, so I may be desensitized to pleas for money from institutions of higher education.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 am

ChervonaKatya wrote:

Also, really?
A pamphlet didn't fall out of mine, but there was an envelope and a section on fundraising. I think they just sent us the magazine they send to all students and alumni without cutting that portion out and, since they seem to be in the middle of a fundraising campaign, it happened to be prominently included. I can see how it might feel weird for a prospective student to get it and feel like they're being asked to donate, but I honestly didn't think anything of it. Then again, I work at a university in the middle of its own campaign, so I may be desensitized to pleas for money from institutions of higher education.
Oh It didn't actually deter me or anything, it just irked me/made me laugh

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 am

It seems like they are always in the middle of a fundraising campaign. :lol:
TheKisSquared wrote:I felt like I was looking into my future :shock:
Pretty much. Once you graduate, letters asking for donations are a prominent and regular feature of life. Which admittedly is typical of every institution of higher learning these days.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:54 am

Aeon wrote:It seems like they are always in the middle of a fundraising campaign. :lol:
TheKisSquared wrote:I felt like I was looking into my future :shock:
Pretty much. Once you graduate, letters asking for donations are a prominent and regular feature of life. Which admittedly is typical of every institution of higher learning these days.
yuuup

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:23 am

So I'm looking at a pretty decent scholarship at Cornell (120k) but that still leaves a substantial amount of debt. I'd have (very) roughly the same at Michigan (they've given me $90k, which considering the difference in tuition leaves about the same amount of tuition debt + living expenses). Thoughts on the comparison between the two?

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:26 am

herecomesthesun wrote:So I'm looking at a pretty decent scholarship at Cornell (120k) but that still leaves a substantial amount of debt. I'd have (very) roughly the same at Michigan (they've given me $90k, which considering the difference in tuition leaves about the same amount of tuition debt + living expenses). Thoughts on the comparison between the two?
Just a 0L like you, but I think it just comes down to where you want to work.

NYC? Cornell.
Chicago? Michigan.

Elsewhere? Check which firms come to OCIs.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:33 am

James.K.Polk wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:So I'm looking at a pretty decent scholarship at Cornell (120k) but that still leaves a substantial amount of debt. I'd have (very) roughly the same at Michigan (they've given me $90k, which considering the difference in tuition leaves about the same amount of tuition debt + living expenses). Thoughts on the comparison between the two?

NYC? Cornell.
Chicago? Michigan.

Sort of what I figured. So I want to work in DC (though I'm not positive on that) and would probably put NYC/Chicago roughly equally, with maybe a slight preference for NYC despite extremely high COL

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:43 am

herecomesthesun wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:

NYC? Cornell.
Chicago? Michigan.

Sort of what I figured. So I want to work in DC (though I'm not positive on that) and would probably put NYC/Chicago roughly equally, with maybe a slight preference for NYC despite extremely high COL
I think I've read that Michigan is better for dc, but that dc is also a tough market

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:50 am

urbanist11 wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:

NYC? Cornell.
Chicago? Michigan.

I think I've read that Michigan is better for dc, but that dc is also a tough market
I think that Michigan would do better than Cornell in DC, but I have no scientific proof for that.

ChervonaKatya

Bronze

Post by ChervonaKatya » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:01 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:

NYC? Cornell.
Chicago? Michigan.

I think that Michigan would do better than Cornell in DC, but I have no scientific proof for that.
Some semi-objective proof of placement can be found in the ABA 509 reports for each school. Compare the placement of classes over the last 4-5 years in DC, etc. and see which is better with the knowledge that you'll be at the school for three years and things can change in that time and that you should ask questions during admitted students weekends/to admissions people that will help fill in the blanks the numbers don't answer (which firms come to OCI, do they provide travel support for interviews, alumni network DC, etc.). The reports can't tell you everything, of course, but they are at least a measurable factor you can use. Here's a link to the 509 reports: http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Yeah looking at their employment data, they're surprisingly even on DC, but disparate in NYC (Cornell being higher).

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:30 pm

Checking in. I'm practically 100% committed to attending at this point!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

petosjoh

New

Post by petosjoh » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am

My sister went to Cornell and I am going to Michigan. She was telling me that the ranking of schools was a very important factor when deciding where to go. I am not sure if I agree, but Michigan admitted me with a great scholarship and Cornell rejected my early decision app so.. Anyway, she works in DC now but she is in a very niche field. I know of a few MLaw students who will be working in DC next year. I think MLaw has a greater reputation of producing public service lawyers and lawyers interested in government. Cornell has a great NYC market. Both have a national reputation so if you work hard you're bound to get a job anywhere.. I would say visit, that's what got my sister set on Cornell.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 am

herecomesthesun wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:

NYC? Cornell.
Chicago? Michigan.

Michigan has broader geographic reach than does Cornell, so if you're not certain about where you want to end up, I'd lean toward Michigan. But both are very good schools, and I don't think you'd go wrong with either of them.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Does anyone know if Michigan offers a travel subsidy for ASW?

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:16 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:Does anyone know if Michigan offers a travel subsidy for ASW?
It does not, only 'subsidized' hotel rooms (you share at $20/night)

Edit: this is apparently not 100% accurate. see below.
Last edited by TheKisSquared on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Li'l Sebastian

Gold

Post by Li'l Sebastian » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:30 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:Does anyone know if Michigan offers a travel subsidy for ASW?
They offer $600 for Darrow recipients and wave the room costs entirely.

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Li'l Sebastian wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
They offer $600 for Darrow recipients and wave the room costs entirely.
woah, sorry! This is the first I've heard of this. Does this mean others might be able to request money too? I'd heard they were stingy with their ASWs

MM722

New

Post by MM722 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:52 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:

NYC? Cornell.
Chicago? Michigan.

Do you know how well Michigan does with placing people in NYC?

aviendha

New

Post by aviendha » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:55 pm

Anyone know/think if Mich will consider a higher scholarship offer from a higher ranked school (UVA) and a much higher scholarship offer from a lower ranked school (Wash U)? I know they say they don't negotiate, but I'm thinking if they do I may need to reach out soon.

Thanks in advance

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”